Power amps

Matrixx9

I'm not sure I picked the right forum, if not please tell me. I am looking to upgrade my Home Theater setup. I have a Yamaha RX A1070 for now, will be upgrading to a 3080 after the new year, but for christmas will be adding a power amp. Right now I'm headed to an Emotiva XPA 5 gen3. Was going to get the 7 but with all channels running the 5 is actually 50 watts per channel more powerful, go figure. Anyway I trust you guys tremendously after reading your forums for awhile and want to know if that is a good choice or...is there a better choice in same price range? No I cannot afford a Krell!! Lol

Edited by Matrixx9
Left out word

3 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

What speakers are you using? I always recommend the Marantz line as they always produce excellent results. I've tried emotiva in the past and found them to be bright on Klipsch speakers. If you have standard dome speakers them the emotiva may work for you.

This set I just picked up. (I didn't purchase that outdated receiver)  and additionally I have 2 rf 82's as my rear surrounds. 

Screenshot_20191119-142159_Facebook.jpg

8 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

There's definately a split on people's listening  preferences.  I've found its either clear clinical (ie emotiva) or warm lush (ie marantz). It really depends on your tastes

Thank you very much for your input Kalifornian!

16 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I use an Emotiva XPA-2 in a 2 channel setup and it sounds fantastic. Are those RF83s? That's a great collection of speakers you have there.

Thanks for the reply. Yes those are RF83's. I picked up that whole set from a 62 yo lady (I'm 62 also, not being ageist) that had them stored in a spare bedroom for 10+ years after her husband left her for a younger woman and never came back for the set. I felt so bad because she didn't know what she was sitting on. Plus they were in mint condition (Cherry). They sound amazing and it's all powered by a Yam1070 for now. I can't wait to add power.