40 Years Ago Today in Cincinnati

Ceptorman

I remember that day well.

It was all over the Indianapolis news.

As a 17 year old trying to convince my parents that is was safe to go to concerts was a challenge when they had no idea what really went on.

Yes the same exact scenarios happened at Market Square Arena and I remember being squished on more than one occasion because they just wouldn't open the doors.

29 minutes ago, Davis said:

I remember that day well.

It was all over the Indianapolis news.

As a 17 year old trying to convince my parents that is was safe to go to concerts was a challenge when they had no idea what really went on.

Yes the same exact scenarios happened at Market Square Arena and I remember being squished on more than one occasion because they just wouldn't open the doors.

I remember it as well. I was 16 and had been to probably 25 concerts at that point (a good friend worked at Karma records so getting tickets was easy) I also remember being shoved and pressed against the MSA doors, a few times it was scary. It wasn't long after when festival seating pretty much went away. I saw The Who three years later at MSA.

i have been to a few concerts that had festival seating, never had a problem.  the most recent (not sure that it even classifies as a concert) but i was at an invite-only show where Queen + Adam Lambert played a short set before their North American Tour. I’m not a fan of standing amongst the masses, but i didn’t see any problems other than the largest man in the world happening to be against the stage and directly in front of me. That’s just my luck; but i saw Queen back in 1981 in Los Angeles at the Fabulous Forum.  I was with my brother in law and of the over 17,000 people there (for Laker games the capacity was 17,505) , his ex-wife had the seat directly behind him. I thought it was funny, he didn’t. 

I was  unable to get tickets to that Who concert.  (never thought of simply paying a scalper...)  So, I took my date to see Harry Chapin who was playing that same evening (also in Cincinnati).

Got out of the concert, driving home...turned radio on and just incessant news commentary about telling people to call home, let their family know they are safe...  I was totally confused as at the moment, had no idea what had happened.

Fortunately, my mother also had no idea what happened though she did know I went to "a concert' in Cincy.  She would have been frantic as anyone might imagine.

My first concert ever was at that same Collesium where the Who concert was....  I saw Aerosmith.  more festival "seating" and I was on the floor, about 3-4 "rows" back from the stage.  This was my first concert ever in my life....there was (an absolutely drop dead beautiful) gal standing in front of me.  The crowds in the back pushed everyone forward so my front was planted against her back.  She was just dancing & dancing & dancing and my smile & wonderment got larger & larger.

I figured if all concerts were like this, I was going to them ALL!!!

Oh...  somewhere during show, Steven Tyler tossed a towel "my way" (maybe to her?)  none the less, I caught it square in my hand....  however, next to me was an older fellah who had biceps about the size of my thighs....he also had a (small) grasp on said towel....  and snatched it away.

At the time I thought that was rather rude but in hindsight....  not much I would have done with a towel.

That Who concert was a tragedy and caused a lot of weak points in the system to be addressed / fixed.

• Like 1

I saw EL&P in Springfield, MA around 1982 or so. The push to get into the venue when the doors opened was so strong, I lifted my feet off the ground and did NOT fall down.

It's a wonder I didn't think it was a potentially life threatening situation.

• Like 1