FOUND: AVR or external amp

Thaddeus Smith

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I call them cheater plugs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZta6UNo19x4wOfD6j2r2

My AVR is of the kind which already bypasses the ground, so that wouldn't do me any favors. I do recall seeing something about dummy plugs for unused RCA connections, sometimes being provided by high end manufacturers in the box with the pre-amp, etc. I struggled to understand how that would help and moved on, but I might revisit the topic after reading through what Eric emailed me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

UGH. Nevermind then.. :P

Please I need the $$! I found an all night box repair shop and paid $100 to get it fixed. They swear that you'll never notice but I wanted to be honest.

Outlaw.jpg

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Just a guess.................

You didn't like my guess!  😄

Given what the original problem was, I read someone suggested a "dummy" plug.  True to form, being a dummy myself, I didn't know what a dummy plug was and took a guess.   Wrong again.  🤓

As long as @Thaddeus Smith gets the random hum diagnosed and fixed, it's all good. 

45 minutes ago, USNRET said:

My understanding of the RCA input "dummy plugs" were used to prevent EMI / RFI introduction into the open ports most commonly any open phono inputs. Analogous to the 75 ohm termination caps used on open cable TV splitter ports.

http://www.cardas.com/protective_caps.php

Again, not what Eric was referring to.  See my picture above.  These are used to find the source of noise by using a step by step approach to isolate it.