1989 Forte II vs 2002 RF-7 Impressions

Foxman

IMG_3692.jpg.9b06ce65320f804e984a16010c8b119c.jpg After some changes. 1394364134_IMG_3628(1).jpg.1552cb8533e502fcf303df6033d10ebb.jpg Before making changes.

So, I finally found some used Forte's as I have been considering the III's but couldn't spare the $$ and found these for $700 with Crites upgraded crossovers and tweeters. Doing a little A/B comparisons this morning and for the most part experienced what many others have. The 7's have much more punch, they are more aggressive and slightly more sensitive. I compared 4 songs, each from a different genre, and in 3 of the 4 songs the Forte's registered 1db lower than the 7's.  Here is what amazed me. On Norah Jones' Come Away With Me, the 7's hit 85db and the Forte hit 79? I cannot explain the reason for this except that her voice on the 7's are driven more from the 10" driver in the absence of a dedicated midrange, which increased the db's since her voice was the height of the db range. And with the 7's being more aggressive, this was highlighted much more than on Tom Petty's Here Come's My Girl, The Four Seasons (Summer) orchestra, or Gonna Fly Now (Rocky Theme). Now with the difference in the db notes on the Norah Jones song, her voice and the detail in the Forte were much improved to me with my ears in my room on my gear. I suspect having a dedicated midrange smoothed out her voice to a more natural tone and volume, but I reserve the right to be wrong on that. 

The 7's were much more lively and robust with Tom Petty's song, but the sound stage was better in my mind on every song on the Forte's, but the difference in spacing could be a factor. Overall, based on these 4 samples (limited though it is) these speakers come down to what you prefer. The Forte, at 30, sounds fantastic and more natural for music though laid back compared to the 7's which are much more punchy and aggressive sounding. Something I had never really noticed until the side by side brought it out.

I don't really have time for comparing performance on movies or other types of genre's of music, but if I had to guess, when you add in the surround, subs, and the center which carries 99% of the dialogue, I probably wont notice an appreciable difference between the Forte's and the 7's on movies.

Any thoughts, personal reflections or suggestions?

• Like 1

I like your new set up!

When I got my Heresy speakers, first I had them next to my RP160M speakers. Somewhat the 'light version' of your setup. And for about a week, I was comparing them all the time. Also, switching between a small tube amp and a solid state amp. After about a week, I was so annoyed and unsatisfied, even irritated - I found my brain re-calibrating all the time. So I decided to bring the RP160Ms downstairs. Now I enjoy both of my setups. I rationally know they both have their qualities and that's enough for me. I quit comparing and simply enjoy listening to good music now, on both setups.

• Like 1

Moving the Forte might bring out what's inside of them: magic.  The Forte are very balanced and can present a sound stage that lets the speakers disappear. Them being trapped between cabinets might be a factor. As far as the db difference, I am not surprised. The 2 ten inch have more cone area for moving air and the Fortes are trapped. 

If you moved the RF7s out of the way and moved the Forte in / out / toe in / then out and tinker with their placement, you might get to experience their magic. 

• Like 3

On 12/5/2019 at 7:43 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Moving the Forte might bring out what's inside of them: magic.  The Forte are very balanced and can present a sound stage that lets the speakers disappear. Them being trapped between cabinets might be a factor. As far as the db difference, I am not surprised. The 2 ten inch have more cone area for moving air and the Fortes are trapped. 

If you moved the RF7s out of the way and moved the Forte in / out / toe in / then out and tinker with their placement, you might get to experience their magic. 

I plan on moving the 7's so I can out my attention on the Forte's. I have them toed in, but I heard speaker placement drastically changes the sound of these. Now that I have the heritage sound in my ears, I want more. I have begun to attempt to lay the foundation of the need for the new Cornwall with the wife. So far, at least she knows what I am saying when I mention Cornwall, but I am not holding my breath. Enjoying the Forte for sure though.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 10:36 AM, foxman said:

I plan on moving the 7's so I can out my attention on the Forte's. I have them toed in, but I heard speaker placement drastically changes the sound of these. Now that I have the heritage sound in my ears, I want more. I have begun to attempt to lay the foundation of the need for the new Cornwall with the wife. So far, at least she knows what I am saying when I mention Cornwall, but I am not holding my breath. Enjoying the Forte for sure though.

I have have (had) the RF83 and RF63, but not the RF7. The Forte II might be better for 2 channel listening. As Ceptorman pointed out, the center will match the RF7 and that's another reason that they might be better for HT. 

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have have the RF83 and RF63, but not the RF7. The Forte II might be better for 2 channel listening. As Ceptorman pointed out, the center will match the RF7 and that's another reason that they might be better for HT. 

I’ve watched a couple of movies so far, the new Lion King and Terminator Salvation, both with the Forte’s and the RC7 and honestly, it sounds good to me. If there was a way to use a Heresy in my place for a center I would, but the RC7 did good. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 3:45 PM, foxman said:

I’ve watched a couple of movies so far, the new Lion King and Terminator Salvation, both with the Forte’s and the RC7 and honestly, it sounds good to me. If there was a way to use a Heresy in my place for a center I would, but the RC7 did good. 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have have (had) the RF83 and RF63, but not the RF7. The Forte II might be better for 2 channel listening. As Ceptorman pointed out, the center will match the RF7 and that's another reason that they might be better for HT. 

With that said, I am guessing the Heresy would be the suggested center channel for the Forte or even for a pair of Cornwalls?

7 hours ago, foxman said:

With that said, I am guessing the Heresy would be the suggested center channel for the Forte or even for a pair of Cornwalls?

Not sure about the Heresy being a center for HT, but, from my understanding, the Heresy, then the Cornwall were made to be centers for the Khorn. I have had a pair of Heresy mated with a pair of Cornwall. The two pair played nicely together, it was like what one was missing, the other made up for it. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 9:47 AM, foxman said:

After some changes. 1394364134_IMG_3628(1).jpg.1552cb8533e502fcf303df6033d10ebb.jpg Before making changes.

DSC03137.thumb.JPG.5d1f7733112beb1db3384feb9c341531.JPG

BTW, I have that exact same design of entertainment center in my bedroom. The TV is a little higher than I want, but it's almost perfect for watching the TV while laying in bed and not have to look down my nose to see it. That's Chorus II up top with the TV and KLF30 on the floor.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

DSC03137.thumb.JPG.5d1f7733112beb1db3384feb9c341531.JPG

BTW, I have that exact same design of entertainment center in my bedroom. The TV is a little higher than I want, but it's almost perfect for watching the TV while laying in bed and not have to look down my nose to see it. That's Chorus II up top with the TV and KLF30 on the floor.  

WOW! That entertainment center is massive, you my friend have a large bedroom with high ceilings. Very nice. And as @Skichuck77 said, what is going on in the corner my man?!?!