Yes or no: are the RP260s/ 280s too big for a 13x13 room?

Man in the Box

On 12/10/2019 at 6:22 AM, Ron E said:

I have a friend who is running a 5.1.2 setup with La Scalas for the front channels in a 10x12 outdoor shed. The shed has been fully treated though. It sounds great!

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

This is similar to my situation. When you say fully treated, does that mean every single wall plus floor and ceiling? Because that’d be too much for a bedroom lol. 

But I really want the biggest towers. Those guys can produce such a grand presentation. 

Well, on this forum, the general feeling is that if the speakers will fit through the door, they're not too big.

Actually, small rooms need bigger horns, due to the greater amount of reflections with the walls closer together.  The bigger the horn, the better it can control the air in the room, keeping the sound clearer.

• Like 1

Is your room really perfectly square (13 x 13)?   A square room can be a problem in that both dimensions can reinforce the same standing waves.   Someone might recommend a bass-trap.

Does your system have Audyssey or some other electronic room optimizer?  They are often in AV receivers, or in AV preamp-processors.    Use that AFTER you finish treating the room.

Don't over deaden the room. 

BEFORE you run an electronic room optimizer, try raising and lowering the crossover to the sub, and see if that helps.  The typical crossover to a sub is 80 Hz, but sometimes a different frequency is better.

Get the biggest speaker in the line you like.  I had Klipschorns in a room 9 x 12, and they were good, but not as good as they were in their current very big room.