Best Klipsch Speaker Settings for 5.1 system.

Celtics1

I’m new to Klipsch speakers and I’m hoping to get some advice from current users.   Specifically cross over settings, set up, etc.  My System is:  Onkyo TX-NR 727.     Klipsch RP-260F fronts. Klipsch RP-500C Center. Klipsch R-100S 10” sub.  Surrounds aren’t that important yet since I have not upgraded them yet.   Any advice, suggestions, specific set up info would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks, Troy

Welcome to the forum! 

• Install any acoustical room treatments (tapestries, rugs, absorbers, diffusers, art objects, etc) before doing the rest of this list.  There should be a direct line, without obstructions, to your ears from each speaker (except the sub).  It is best to not have a coffee table in front of you, but many live with one, or with a coffee table advocate.  If you do have one, it's better to have it covered with something cloth. 
  • Attend some live concerts, especially of non-reinforced acoustical music, if you can, before finalizing your set up.  Paul W. Klipsch advocated thus re-calibrating your ears.
  • Toe in the speakers so you are looking down the throat of each tweeter -- at least start with that orientation, and see what you think on a variety of movies and music, but don't listen until you have done everything else on this list.
  • If your center speaker is on a table, pull it forward until it's cabinet is about 1" beyond the top of the table, hanging over.  The overhang prevents early reflections from interfering with dialog (and music) clarity.
  • Set all speakers (except subwoofers, of course) for "SMALL."
  • Set all crosovvers for 80 Hz, to start with.
  • I think you have Audyssey -- do you?  If so, run Audyssey, using  all of the recommended microphone positions (usually 8). 
  • Most of us, having gotten used to a few bass peaks in our room, end up turning up the subwoofer a few dB (say 3 to 6) AFTER running Audyssey.  Turning it up before won't help, because Audyssey will dutifully turn it down again.  Audyssey takes patience, but my Klipschorns have never sounded so good!  Audyssey really helps.
  • Listen to movies and music for about a week, and see what you think.  Most people end up making a few adjustments to achieve their Preference.  Audyssey sets your system to Reference, not Preference.  But feel free to adjust the subwoofer volume (at the control on the sub itself -- keep the sub trim in the AVR low to avoid distortion.  The little line drivers in most AVRs clip, or produce pre-clipping distortion easily.  When you get to  the adjustment for Preference stage, you will be much better off having run Audyssey, because you will be starting with a relatively smooth frequency response curve, instead of a kinky one -- unless you like kinky.
  • Don't make any rapid judgements.  Let music of various kinds flow over you for a week or more before  making any changes.

Audyssey can range from easy to difficult set up.  Some people give up way too early, IMO.  Don't be one of them!  The rewards are great!  Give yourself about 45 minutes to read through the following.  It is far better than any manual I've seen.  It was written by a master of clarity and it went through the editing of dozens of hobbyists and professionals.

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

After you have given yourself a rest from reading, consider reading this one.  It has a Cliff Notes section, and was written by another master.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES
* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Best of Luck!

• Like 1