Placement for RP-402s and Ceiling Speakers

AndyLo

Hi everyone!

I am getting my 5.1.4 system delivered and installed soon into a L4.1xW3.9m room (13'5" x 12'9"). I will have in a few days RP-6000F / RP-500c / RP-402s / SPL-120 and 4 non-Klipsche ceiling speakers.

I went for the RP-402s due to not having much room to play with. At the moment the listening position is 1.10m (3'7") away from the back wall this distance may improve to by another 20cm (8") as we don't know which way the aircon pipe goes in the ceiling in which I will have 4 more ceiling speakers put in.

image.thumb.png.b1472bf9e5b9d6a390cbe554cd83cb4a.png

Now, I believe I have 2 choices ('A' & 'B') of placing the RP-402s.

Do I go with:

• Option A and have the speakers on the side wall, it is rather close (15") to the back wall , will I get much issue with bounce back from the back walls, or
  • Option B (suggested by the shop), then do I defeat the purpose of having surrounds because the sound would com from the back?

Or, does it not matter because WDST will create the listening zones well enough?

Also with ceiling speakers, how dead center does the center listener need to be with where the 4 speakers will be as suggested by Dolby?

I was suggested by the shop to place them at the 1/3 or 2/3 positioning in the room, so that one pair will be above and another will be 4 feet in front of listening position, and Audessey will work out the levels and Atmos or DTS-X will work out what sound to play. How far apart do the atmos speakers need to be?

What are some of the experiences you have with placing RP-402s and ceiling speakers in general?

Thanks you all,

Andy

Edited by AndyLo