Kappalite 3015lf4

mopardave

Anyone needing the Kappalite 3015LF-4 may want to get them now because Avatar speakers tells me Eminence may be discontinuing the 4ohm version and will only have the 8ohm version. Avatar speaker is closing them out a $139ea until there gone.   Avatar had a large lot produced for them, so the woofer may not have the usual manufacturer marking as well.

14 hours ago, mopardave said:

Anyone needing the Kappalite 3015LF-4 may want to get them now because Avatar speakers tells me Eminence may be discontinuing the 4ohm version and will only have the 8ohm version. Avatar speaker is closing them out a $139ea until there gone.   Avatar had a large lot produced for them, so the woofer may not have the usual manufacturer marking as well.

What gets me about woofers in general, for use with horns on top, is that, unless you are using 2 in parallel, they should ALL be 4 ohms in order to draw an extra 3 Db's worth of CURRENT from a solid state amplifier to try and keep up with more efficient 16/8 ohm midrange compression drivers or 8 ohm horn tweeters.

All of the mids and tweets can put out 106-110 Db for a 1 watt imput, so the bass reflex woofer section, down in the "middle to high nineties" is always struggling to catch up unless it's fully Horn Loaded also.  We all know that fully horn loaded BASS sections in the REAL WORLD are rare, even for Klipsch Products (sales numbers don't lie). But, like all other companies, Eminence has to look at sales numbers and cut loose the weak members of the herd! Such is life.

28 minutes ago, Pete H said:

That's a great price on them for certain.  

It's a steal, since they are probably being sold at their cost or less. Being that a Cornwall cabinet has what I call a very "FAT BASS" without using EQ, the midrange response of the strong motor, and the higher Xmas of the voice coil/suspension combination, makes this a...............dare I say it........................a SUPER Driver!!

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's a steal, since they are probably being sold at their cost or less. Being that a Cornwall cabinet has what I call a very "FAT BASS" without using EQ, the midrange response of the strong motor, and the higher Xmas of the voice coil/suspension combination, makes this a...............dare I say it........................a SUPER Driver!!

I have a couple on the shelf, but really tempting to pick up a couple more. 

11 minutes ago, mopardave said:

What Avatar told me was they are mainly sold for guitar amps and they use the 8ohm version.

Since guitar amps are either 2 or 4 speakers, I can see why the 8 ohm version is a better choice. My original point about 4 Ohm drivers for bass horns or bass reflex cabinets for musing REPRODUCTION, was referring to a SINGLE DRIVER for bass trying to keep up with compression drivers and horns using solid state amplifiers. A very COMMON and SPECIFIC set of conditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Since guitar amps are either 2 or 4 speakers, I can see why the 8 ohm version is a better choice. My original point about 4 Ohm drivers for bass horns or bass reflex cabinets for musing REPRODUCTION, was referring to a SINGLE DRIVER for bass trying to keep up with compression drivers and horns using solid state amplifiers. A very COMMON and SPECIFIC set of conditions.

Yes,  I understand and agree.  These will rock for sure.

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Get'em while you can guys.  Avatar Speakers.

Ordered a couple yesterday after confirming with the company that they are the same 4ohm version that is available elsewhere and nothing was really altered for their "custom" application.  I've never dealt with that company before but I have to say, their response time to my questions was super fast and on a Saturday. 

Thanks for the heads up @mopardave

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

Ordered a couple yesterday after confirming with the company that they are the same 4ohm version that is available elsewhere and nothing was really altered for their "custom" application.  I've never dealt with that company before but I have to say, their response time to my questions was super fast and on a Saturday. 

Thanks for the heads up @mopardave

I agree.

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Not sure I needed them but ordered a pair just in case price is just too good to pass up thanks!

They dont have the tipical model decals.  He orders them in large lots, but there is a label under one basket spoke.  I have a long email from him describing the situation.