Easy Chorus II Passive Grills

Gorm

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

They do look nice, but I have to wonder how something like that affects the performance?

While I don't have measurement tools. I have heard ZERO difference on my "test tracks" after this "mod". I don't think the magnets are THAT powerful to impact the driver on the other side of the speaker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorm said:

While I don't have measurement tools. I have heard ZERO difference on my "test tracks" after this "mod". I don't think the magnets are THAT powerful to impact the driver on the other side of the speaker.

It's not the magnets.  It's the grill itself affecting the air movement and performance of the passive.

25 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

It's not the magnets.  It's the grill itself affecting the air movement and performance of the passive.

I'm not sure about that, the woofers would have to travel significantly out to impact the grills. I'll probably never have the volume levels in that room high enough for that to happen. However, that is a good point, and I'll double check for rub marks after a few sessions.

The beauty of the magnets is also, that I could just pull the grills off to listen and replace when done. They stick well, but once you get an edge lose, the rest of the grill falls off and the magnets stay attached.

Looks like approximately 40% of the radiation surface gets closed off.  Who can say whether or how much that would change things.  It's not likely it would have the same effect as doing that to a box fan.  Wait, they already come like that these days...

I hadn't intended to convey the idea I thought it would be (overly) detrimental, though it will alter the performance of the passive by some measurable amount.  Even if it's miniscule.  The worst negative effect would be rattling but that's easy to prevent.