Tube with SS for active 3 way

Pete H

I have been considering looking for a tube amp or amps to run the top end of a 3 way set up.  I will be using pro amps (QSC's) for the bass sections but possibly trying tubes for the mids and tweeters if it might be a move forward.  Really looking for input from members that are doing or have done this to help me decide to do this or just stick with SS for all of it.  I need to specify that if I do decide to play with some tube gear I'll be looking to keep the max expenditure in and around the $1,000 range for any tube amp I would consider.  I'm not necessarily looking for specific amp suggestions at this point, but I believe that the budget is an important factor to consider before considering an opinion.

Thanks!

I have an active 2-way system with solid-state pro apps for the bass bins and two different sets of tube monoblocks the HF sections. 3.5 Watt SET and 60W Push Pull. It's nice to be able to swap them out from time to time. I tend use the SET more as I find more "wow I don't remember that" passages in familiar tracks.

I would think if you buy some well-known equipment used you can find out if it was for you and if not recoup most of what you paid for it.

I'm very curious about first watt amps. I could possibly see myself parting with the tubes only to give that a try. I've got plenty of other solid state amps I could use for the HF section but I prefer the tubes with my equipment in my room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rplace said:

I have an active 2-way system with solid-state pro apps for the bass bins and two different sets of tube monoblocks the HF sections. 3.5 Watt SET and 60W Push Pull. It's nice to be able to swap them out from time to time. I tend use the SET more as I find more "wow I don't remember that" passages in familiar tracks.

I would think if you buy some well-known equipment used you can find out if it was for you and if not recoup most of what you paid for it.

I'm very curious about first watt amps. I could possibly see myself parting with the tubes only to give that a try. I've got plenty of other solid state amps I could use for the HF section but I prefer the tubes with my equipment in my room.

I was just doing some more reading on the first watt amps myself.  What 2 way are you running the ss and tubes on?

My bass section is not fully horn loaded, it's the mini punch (dual 12's) that were done by JWC a few years back and after running different ss amps on them, I'm sticking with the QSC on those.  

33 minutes ago, canyonman said:

My Khorns are tri amped and I use a SS amp on the woofers and tubes on the mids and tweeters...

Assuming that you've run them with SS exclusively at some point, what did you gain when you went to your current setup?  I think some of this for me might come down to my audio addiction and wanting to see some glowing tubes in a good looking amp for aesthetics.:D

21 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

The O.P.'s total $1,000 total amp budget, is too low and is unrealistic.

I just want to make sure you understood my post and I'm understanding your answer.  

On 12/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, Pete H said:

I'll be looking to keep the max expenditure in and around the $1,000 range for any tube amp I would consider.

Amp is singular and around is around.  I read your answer like you thought I was looking for 2 amps for a maximum of $1,000, maybe not, but I wanted to clarify.  I know the Dennis Had Inspires can be obtained in the around $1,000 range and have hear one that sounded great and read many good things about them.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:05 AM, Pete H said:

My bass section is not fully horn loaded, it's the mini punch (dual 12's) that were done by JWC a few years back and after running different ss amps on them, I'm sticking with the QSC on those.  

Assuming that you've run them with SS exclusively at some point, what did you gain when you went to your current setup?  I think some of this for me might come down to my audio addiction and wanting to see some glowing tubes in a good looking amp for aesthetics.:D

That was a long time ago when my system was all SS. What I remember is the air created by tubes and the space between notes, that is what really stood out for me. Also the ability to change tubes to alter the sound slightly... At one time I was interested in the look of glowing tubes not anymore, now its all about the sound quality...

• Like 1