Identify mystery receiver/amp cabinet

dtr20

Can anyone identify this walnut cabinet? My buddy bought this on a whim at a yard sale a long time ago. He could never figure out what it goes to. He is trying to downsize. This is from his craigslist ad.

60's/70's vintage amplifier wood case. Brand unknown. Excellent condition. Measures 14" x 12" x 5.5". Asking $50 cash.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ele/d/stoughton-vintage-amplifier-wood-case/7028594114.html11085524323b4f0bfb1249b31f2cd8ae.jpg7247a43134bface25d5da03adb1be50c.jpgb83e08aaf337a1fea93b5ce8d00f4cb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't believe that walnut case is from McIntosh...because, its upper gold-toned ventilation area is a trapezoid-shape instead of a wide rectangle...IIRC, McIntosh always used a wide rectangle for their ventilation area and not a trapezoid.  But I MIGHT be wrong...I just have my memory to rely upon on this.

I HAVE SEEN this shape on a wood case like this before, just can't recollect what went into it.  It is NOT a Harman/Kardon, though...maybe a Marantz?

• Like 1

My McIntosh cabinets are as you describe, wide rectangle with rounded corners. It may be a custom aftermarket for McIntosh equipment and you can look up the measurements to see what it fits - I have a couple of websites if you need them.Here is an example http://www.mcintoshcompendium.com/mp-cabinets.htm

P.S. That is a nice looking cabinet - GLWS

12 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

My McIntosh cabinets are as you describe, wide rectangle with rounded corners. It may be a custom aftermarket for McIntosh equipment and you can look up the measurements to see what it fits - I have a couple of websites if you need them.Here is an example http://www.mcintoshcompendium.com/mp-cabinets.htm

P.S. That is a nice looking cabinet - GLWS

I agree...nice looking cabinet...that gold-toned upper heat vent should be a dead give-away along with its trapezoidal shape...for somebody who is familiar with cabinets that have those features.  Marantz used a trapezoidal shape there, on SOME of their stuff...but not gold-toned grille...and most of their vents went all the way to the rear of the case, IIRC!...but were black....again, IIRC!  The front inside perimeter dimensions are key to what went into it, for sure!

I jumped the gun on that one.  Checking ebay I see several walnut cabinets of varying designs but fairly close to each other. 

Marantz are amoung them.

Maybe all McIntosh have the metal elements to take the pan-lock system. But the OP's doesn't.

WMcD

• Like 1