Primaluna evo 400 Integrated Amp?

Fido

3 hours ago, FSHNRIG said:

I gathered a few of my favorite tunes (cd and lp) , went to the stereo shop hoping to listen to a few high end integrated amps that were dependable and held their value over the years.  Considering what may be the last and best amp for me to retire with and to base my operation around.  The McIntosh MA-252 and 352 experience was very good overall but similar to other solid state amplification I've had and enjoyed.  Stepping up to the 352 definitely provided more headroom and dynamic range but still missing something... I did my best in explaining to the shop owner that I was waiting to hear the mid-range lush from the acoustic instruments and vocal ribbon mics producing that presence with harmonic depth.  Once we connected up the Primaluna it was over with.  It was the sound I was looking for that touched my soul.  The sound put me in a place of content and relaxation and suppressed the analytical side of me.  I never heard another amp before that put me in a place similar to live performance like this amp did.  I've experienced a fair amount of awesome live venues and performed with some sweet concert choirs... I know the sound, feel and absorption of good music when I hear it.  It did that day and will move forward with this amp hopefully for a long long time.  In the near future I will continue the quest for the best pair of speakers for my rig.  

Thanks FSHNRIG,

Nice to hear you made the right choice and found the sound you are looking for.

My EVO 400 Integrated arrives tomorrow and I'm so excited.

I'll be updating all with my initial thoughts soon.

Until then.... enjoy! 👍

5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Thanks FSHNRIG,

Nice to hear you made the right choice and found the sound you are looking for.

My EVO 400 Integrated arrives tomorrow and I'm so excited.

I'll be updating all with my initial thoughts soon.

Until then.... enjoy! 👍

That's exciting for sure... looking forward to reading your comments.  Have fun😮

I ordered mine a week ago today so it should be arriving any day, I hope.

I really like the PL EVO 400...sounds good, really good...all my sources are digital...mostly Tidal (including MQA) and some CDs. Also important: My wife likes the way does its looks in the living room (opposite the H590 which stays at the family room...).

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

Edited by MemeMagno
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Very nice Retrograde.  Enjoy.  Here's a pic of my Dialogue Premium HP.

IMG_9660.JPG

Howdy Chck - how is the Node2i and streaming coming along? I bet you already have it totally dialed in by now. Hope you are enjoying all the music choices you have now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

It's here!!

Safe and sound!

Looking forward to a good listen this evening.

Nice set up you got there MemeMagno!

20200506_114325.jpg

20200506_113938.jpg

20200506_123048.jpg

Congrats on the EVO 400 - I'm pretty sure you are going to love it. Im obviously a HUGE fan of this glorious Integrated Amplifier.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Hey  Fido......Still learning with Tidal but the Node is a keeper.

Retrograde is in for a treat this evening.  Listen in triode for a bit then switch over to ultralinear with the remote!

i often listen in Triode mode before heading to bed or sometimes early morning listening sessions but during the day and early evening I seem to prefer Ultralinear mode. Its so easy to switch between the two its awesome.

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It's here!!

Safe and sound!

Looking forward to a good listen this evening.

Nice set up you got there MemeMagno!

20200506_114325.jpg

20200506_113938.jpg

20200506_123048.jpg

Fantastic!  Looks awesome and ready for some breaking in tonight. Enjoy and Cheers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MemeMagno said:

I really like the PL EVO 400...sounds good, really good...all my sources are digital...mostly Tidal (including MQA) and some CDs. Also important: My wife likes the way does its looks in the living room (opposite the H590 which stays at the family room...).

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

Dang, that is pretty... love the cabinet too.

• Like 1

Oh Boy!!! Now that's what I call a beautiful sound!! And the EVO 400 and Forte III's haven't even been run in yet!!

I have no idea what I was doing in the past listening to what I was listening to. This is a whole new ball game.

The sound is clear, punchy and solid. Meaty yet mellow. There is an air of 3D sound coming out of my Klipsch Forte III's and they are just pointing straight ahead. No toe in. There is a large music bubble that I'm sitting in.... It's fantastic!

I've listened to an array of music to see what this combo can do.

Dido...... As clear as day like in the Studio. The Police..... Clear & punchy rhythms.

Foo Fighters..... OMG!  Royal Blood..... For heaven's sake! Beastie Boys..... Absolutely phenomenal! Kate Bush...... She was in my lounge!!  Michael Buble.... Get him out of my Lounge! Depeche Mode..... Brilliant industrial electronic beats handled fabulously.

Tonight.......... J.A.Z.Z.... 🎷🎶🎺🎸🎶

More insight to come.... Keep 'em peeled 😎

Edited by Retrograde
Spelling
  • Like 2

I was listening to "Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic volume 2"  last night and he was performing "in The Shape of a Heart' and it was just like he was in my living room with me - It just enveloped me in the most beautiful musicI have ever heard. Like Retrograde - I have no idea what I was listening to before my EVO 400 but Im so happy I finally figured out what I was missing. And.. say what you want about Keven Deal being a master salesman but everything he said about the Primaluna Amps that Upscale Audio sells is true. I'm so stoked that others here are hearing the PL offerings and enjoying them as much I have the past5 months.

• Like 2

So.... J.A.Z.Z.... (and a bit of Blues)

Absolutely awesome! Listened to most in triode mode which sounded best for this genre of music.

My Klipsch Forte III's are alive! They literally push out sound that is beyond me via the Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated. That Triode/Ultralinear button is also a godsend!

B.B.King was heard in a different light than usual. Crisp and deft. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan is totally there performing in front of me.  Eric Clapton {Unplugged) was sitting in front of me strumming and string picking away to the sound of his thumping foot rhythm. Jazz in the 90's.... A collection of pop hits converted to Jazz rhythm was so smooth my head almost wobbled off!! Gregory Porter..... Yeah.... Liquid Spirit.... definately. 

The Dave Brubeck Quartet.... Well that's what jazz is for me along with a bit of Chet Baker.

George Michael... another surprise where this guy's jazz sound is just sublime through the EVO 400 and Forte III. Then there's Herbie Hancock...... wow!

Next on  the test list is Easy Listening to calm things down and see how delicate this combo can sound. I'm loving it so far.... I can't think anything will change... Apart from the sound getting even better once I go over the 50 or so hours play burn in. 

Back soon.... 🎶👍

Edited by Retrograde
Spelling
  • Like 1

My listening room setup - Forte i speakers, HSU Subwoofer, Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated Amp, Bluesound Node 2i, Denefrips Pontus Dac, Dual 1229 Turntable, Mobile Fidelity Phono Amp - I can not stop listening

livingroom.jpg

• Like 2

So.... There we are.... I've put my system through its paces with a good selection of music and I am stunned!

Rock, Pop, Jazz and Easy Listening. It handled all fabulously... for my ears at least.

Utter amazement is what I have of this PrimaLuna EVO 400 Integrated Amp and Klipsch Forte III Speaker combo.

And..... it will only get better once both items have been operational after about forty hours burn in. 

These Forte III Speakers love Valve Amps. Their high sensitivity are an ideal match for Tube Amps and are easily driven at great effect with just a few Watts of music power. 

What fascinated me with the EVO 400 was the Ultralinear/Triode button.... on the Remote Control! It was so handy to have as it enables selection of the best listening mode geared for the Music you listen to. I would describe this dual facility as either...... 'Spatial and powerfully intricate' (Ultralinear) and.... 'coming right at you' warmth with mids (Triode). Joy of joys!

As you can tell, I'm completely in awe of the PrimaLuna EVO 400 Integrated Amplifer. Together with the Klipsch Forte III Speakers I have now found my audio Nirvana 😎🙏

I haven't even touched on the Headphone facility or future Tube rolling possibilities.... 

Also, bere in mind that my source equipment is 'Old Skool'.... A Pioneer PD-S904 CD Player with a Pioneer CT-W806DR dual Cassette Player/Recorder. The only newer source is my Vinyl spinner which is a 2018 Rega Planar Limited Record Store Day Edition with a RB110 Arm and Rega Carbon Cartridge!

What would happen if I stuck an Audiolab 6000CDT Transport playing through an RME ADI-2 DAC through the EVO 400?

I believe there may be a new review required if this was to happen! 😉

17 hours ago, Fido said:

My listening room setup - Forte i speakers, HSU Subwoofer, Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated Amp, Bluesound Node 2i, Denefrips Pontus Dac, Dual 1229 Turntable, Mobile Fidelity Phono Amp - I can not stop listening

livingroom.jpg

Hi Fido,

You have an outstanding system. Congrats!!! Could you please share you experience with the EVO 400 + Pontus? Note2i just for streaming? I have my eyes on those R2R DACs...particularly on that model (didn't push yet since no streamer). 

1 hour ago, MemeMagno said:

Hi Fido,

You have an outstanding system. Congrats!!! Could you please share you experience with the EVO 400 + Pontus? Note2i just for streaming? I have my eyes on those R2R DACs...particularly on that model (didn't push yet since no streamer). 

Thanks MemeMagno - So here is my take on the EVO 400 and Denefrips Pontus along with the Node2i. Like most things in life its been a journey. For the last several yearsI was using my Yamaha AVR to stream Spotify. At some point I decided to try to add an integrated amp to my system but the AVR i had did not have precouts so I upgraded the AVR to a Yamaha that had precouts and bought I nice hybrid Mcintosh Integrated amp. It sounded good but the Yamaha had trouble staying connected to my network so streaming was a PITA! Reading this forum had me questioning if I was missing something with my Mcintosh and headed up to Upscale to listen to the Primaluna Tube Integrateds. I was blown away - beyond words actually. So I traded the Mcintosh in for the Primaluna and it had HT BYPASS but that required me to use the built in AVR amp when I was streaming. I decided the Node2i was reasonably priced so I bought that and plugged it into aux 2 on the Integrated and started streaming and it sounded pretty good thru the Node2i and its built  in Dacs. It wasn't GREAT and I wanted great so I tried a Dac I had from my old office setup, a Micromega, that had good reviews and sounded good but not really any better than the Nodes built in Dacs. I was now in so deep to my system that I decided to pair the Node with a high end Dac and my Primaluna Integrated  - VOILA!!!!! Thru much research I decided to take a chance on The Denefrips and WOW!!!!! Talk about system harmony!!!! Between the Denefrips and the Primaluna streaming Tidal sounds almost as good as my vinyl collection. Very open, analog sounding, fresh, crisp, accurate - with deep bass and stunning high frequency response that never seems fatiguing.I have over 300 records in pristine condition and I love my vinyl but find myself streaming 85% of the time now. To me, it sounds that good! The Denefrips Pontus just raised the level of my system up to that next level and I am very happy with how it all came together

22 hours ago, Fido said:

Thanks MemeMagno - So here is my take on the EVO 400 and Denefrips Pontus along with the Node2i. Like most things in life its been a journey. For the last several yearsI was using my Yamaha AVR to stream Spotify. At some point I decided to try to add an integrated amp to my system but the AVR i had did not have precouts so I upgraded the AVR to a Yamaha that had precouts and bought I nice hybrid Mcintosh Integrated amp. It sounded good but the Yamaha had trouble staying connected to my network so streaming was a PITA! Reading this forum had me questioning if I was missing something with my Mcintosh and headed up to Upscale to listen to the Primaluna Tube Integrateds. I was blown away - beyond words actually. So I traded the Mcintosh in for the Primaluna and it had HT BYPASS but that required me to use the built in AVR amp when I was streaming. I decided the Node2i was reasonably priced so I bought that and plugged it into aux 2 on the Integrated and started streaming and it sounded pretty good thru the Node2i and its built  in Dacs. It wasn't GREAT and I wanted great so I tried a Dac I had from my old office setup, a Micromega, that had good reviews and sounded good but not really any better than the Nodes built in Dacs. I was now in so deep to my system that I decided to pair the Node with a high end Dac and my Primaluna Integrated  - VOILA!!!!! Thru much research I decided to take a chance on The Denefrips and WOW!!!!! Talk about system harmony!!!! Between the Denefrips and the Primaluna streaming Tidal sounds almost as good as my vinyl collection. Very open, analog sounding, fresh, crisp, accurate - with deep bass and stunning high frequency response that never seems fatiguing.I have over 300 records in pristine condition and I love my vinyl but find myself streaming 85% of the time now. To me, it sounds that good! The Denefrips Pontus just raised the level of my system up to that next level and I am very happy with how it all came together

Dear Fido,

Thanks so much for such a detailed and amazing journey, and you are the 3rd person telling me about the Denefrips WOW factor. I will be ordering one on early June. About you experience with McIntosh: Same here, but in my case was only on pure SS...but was a kind of easy (but pricey) fix when I found the Hegel H590 - my daily driver (which has an amazing DAC...but not R2R like the Pontus w/ all the benefits of a separate unit). Thanks again.