Primaluna evo 400 Integrated Amp?

Fido

On 6/24/2020 at 6:11 AM, dynamos said:

Very excited for you - hope your experience is as positive for you as it has been for me these past 6 months - that combo pf PL and Cornwalls should sound Incredible!

• 2 weeks later...

PL EVO 400 integrated amp + Cornwall IV's = discovering music all over again. I'm streaming using the Amazon lossless HD service through Bluesound Node 2i. Led Zeppelin IV remastered last night - it was like the first time I ever heard the album. My first Klipsch KLF 20's from 1997 were a great investment at the time - but trading them in on the Cornwall's made it easier to justify this new amp. Perfect match.

I'm using this with a home theater, Yamaha RX-A2020 AVR preouts to the PL. Using HT bypass, I first had a ground-loop problem. Used an iso-transformer on the DTV coax at the wall - and 100% cleaned up the low frequency buzz. Watched Hamilton last night, and it felt like we were in the audience. 

Now I'll be researching a new sub - that can be used LFE for Home Theater from the Yamaha, and RCA from the PL for music. I'll watch for ideas here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dynamos said:

PL EVO 400 integrated amp + Cornwall IV's = discovering music all over again. I'm streaming using the Amazon lossless HD service through Bluesound Node 2i. Led Zeppelin IV remastered last night - it was like the first time I ever heard the album. My first Klipsch KLF 20's from 1997 were a great investment at the time - but trading them in on the Cornwall's made it easier to justify this new amp. Perfect match.

I'm using this with a home theater, Yamaha RX-A2020 AVR preouts to the PL. Using HT bypass, I first had a ground-loop problem. Used an iso-transformer on the DTV coax at the wall - and 100% cleaned up the low frequency buzz. Watched Hamilton last night, and it felt like we were in the audience. 

Now I'll be researching a new sub - that can be used LFE for Home Theater from the Yamaha, and RCA from the PL for music. I'll watch for ideas here.

I use my HSU subwoofer hooked to my PL instead of my Yamaha AVR for both music and Home Theater 

Hey Guys,

First post as I just joined this forum today.

I was searching for information on the PrimaLuna EVO 400 and stumbled upon this thread.
I have to say, it has tons of great information and is one of the best threads or reads, I have gone through for this amp and the PL line in general.

I had to laugh a bit. Seems like many of us think the same. I have never had a tube amp before and was really thinking that the McIntosh MA252 would be my first 

venture into it. Just like some here. Then, around a month or so ago, I started putting that dream aside and concentrating on PL.

Just some questions if you don't mind.

I notice that many of you have the Klipsch Forte 3 speakers and I looked at their specs and was blown away by the 99db sensitivity rating.

Mine are the PSB Imagine T2 Tower speakers and their sensitivity rating is 90db.

Do you think the 400 would be able to produce the bass levels with my speakers?

Or, if I kept the speakers, would the addition of a SUB work in compensating and creating the low frequency sound?

On that note, looking at the back it seems that there is no way to hook the sub into speaker terminals and they use a RCA connection.

Never used a sub that way. I guess it is doable though. 

Anyways.

Looks like a great site.

Really stoked that so many people here seem to love the PrimaLuna amps. 

Take Care

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeffLebowski said:

Hey Guys,

First post as I just joined this forum today.

I was searching for information on the PrimaLuna EVO 400 and stumbled upon this thread.
I have to say, it has tons of great information and is one of the best threads or reads, I have gone through for this amp and the PL line in general.

I had to laugh a bit. Seems like many of us think the same. I have never had a tube amp before and was really thinking that the McIntosh MA252 would be my first 

venture into it. Just like some here. Then, around a month or so ago, I started putting that dream aside and concentrating on PL.

Just some questions if you don't mind.

I notice that many of you have the Klipsch Forte 3 speakers and I looked at their specs and was blown away by the 99db sensitivity rating.

Mine are the PSB Imagine T2 Tower speakers and their sensitivity rating is 90db.

Do you think the 400 would be able to produce the bass levels with my speakers?

Or, if I kept the speakers, would the addition of a SUB work in compensating and creating the low frequency sound?

On that note, looking at the back it seems that there is no way to hook the sub into speaker terminals and they use a RCA connection.

Never used a sub that way. I guess it is doable though. 

Anyways.

Looks like a great site.

Really stoked that so many people here seem to love the PrimaLuna amps. 

Take Care

The PL EVO 400 has plenty of power even with speakers that are only 90 db efficient. I have Forte 1s and they are not as efficient as the Forte 111s but they can blow me out of my house. Because I love the lowest octaves in my music I have  large HSU Subwoofer and my system sounds amazing. I had the Macintosh MA 252 and it was very good but the PL EVO 400 is WOW WOW WOW!

The PL has a subwoofer out so you dont need to run wires from your speakers to a sub.

2 hours ago, Fido said:

The PL EVO 400 has plenty of power even with speakers that are only 90 db efficient. I have Forte 1s and they are not as efficient as the Forte 111s but they can blow me out of my house. Because I love the lowest octaves in my music I have  large HSU Subwoofer and my system sounds amazing. I had the Macintosh MA 252 and it was very good but the PL EVO 400 is WOW WOW WOW!

The PL has a subwoofer out so you dont need to run wires from your speakers to a sub.

Thanks Fido.

I meant to ask about the 4ohms vs 8ohms.

The Forte and my current speakers are 8 ohm rated.

Seems like using the 4 ohm speaker posts are the trend here in this forum.

Is that the wisdom here?

It brings out deeper bass?

There are no issues with the amp or speakers...re: damage?

Anyways,

Great forum. Funny, I thought it would just be Klipsch stuff but there are tons of topics on just about everything.

Take Care

1 hour ago, JeffLebowski said:

Thanks Fido.

I meant to ask about the 4ohms vs 8ohms.

The Forte and my current speakers are 8 ohm rated.

Seems like using the 4 ohm speaker posts are the trend here in this forum.

Is that the wisdom here?

It brings out deeper bass?

There are no issues with the amp or speakers...re: damage?

Anyways,

Great forum. Funny, I thought it would just be Klipsch stuff but there are tons of topics on just about everything.

Take Care

When I picked up my evo 400 Kevin Deal from Upscale Audio told me to try the 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps on the PL and use the one that sounded best - to my ears the 4 ohm taps sounded much better than the 8 ohm taps and I have left the speakers plugged into the 4 ohm taps ever since. Soundstage was deeper and bass seamed deeper too but all in all it just sounded better in my system on the 4 ohm taps. No damage at all to amp or speakers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My EVO 400 has been using 8ohm connections for cornwall IV's so far, with no sub connected for music - just to get a good feel of the sound. Next week I'm going to try the 4ohm taps and compare. I'm taking my time - I still haven't tied a sub in with music...but that's coming. For me, PL has opened up music like I've never heard it before. Only 10 days, and still getting warmed up!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dynamos said:

My EVO 400 has been using 8ohm connections for cornwall IV's so far, with no sub connected for music - just to get a good feel of the sound. Next week I'm going to try the 4ohm taps and compare. I'm taking my time - I still haven't tied a sub in with music...but that's coming. For me, PL has opened up music like I've never heard it before. Only 10 days, and still getting warmed up!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the PL Dialogue Premium HP which I bought used on usaudiomart.  The seller gave me two sets of tubes EL-34s and KT-120 with the 34s installed.  Since it requires 8 power tubes and being on the lazy side I have left well enough alone.  Some folks have said the EL-34 is more musical so I was in no hurry to try the KT-120s.  This morning I got a rare boost of energy and pulled the 34's out.  Took the opportunity to dust between the tubes with a microfiber cloth and opened up the 120s.  Man they are big!  Started installing in the middle and worked my way to the sides wiping each tube as I went. 

Chose a very good recording with a lot of bass.......Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins.  Let the tubes warm a bit and sat back in the Zero Gravity chair and gave a listen.  The KT-120s certainly have a sense of authority with over twice the wattage. The remote allows you to switch from triode to ultralinear with my preference being the latter. 

So it was a productive morning.  A couple of pictures to follow.

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

• Like 1

I like the bass slam with the 120s that I was missing a bit with the 34s.   My previous SS amp (ATI 1502) at 150wpc delivered great bass and I missed that.  The 120s have me back in the ball game and I imagine the 150s would be really special.

I know Kevin Deal states that the slam does not come from higher wattage and I am in a different music room now so this may not be an apple to apple comparison with the ATI. 

I have another pair of amps.....Quicksilver Audio Horn Monos that also allow the use of different tubes.  I tried EL-34s, KT-77s, and 6550s.  Again I leaned toward the higher wattage 6550s.  I guess I like the more beefy, robust sound to the detail of the 34s or KT-77s.

I guess I would say unless you have the extra bucks stay where you are.  It is a difference but not a night and day difference. If you want to have an extra set try something more to the other extreme.  The KT-150s are pricey and the cage will not fit on my amp with those installed. 

My plan before installing the 120s was to buy 4 more 6550s since I already have four in the quicksilver amps.  I think the 6550s are closer to KT-88s than to EL-34s.

I am not an expert on tubes by any standard and don't do much tube rolling so YMMV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I like the bass slam with the 120s that I was missing a bit with the 34s.   My previous SS amp (ATI 1502) at 150wpc delivered great bass and I missed that.  The 120s have me back in the ball game and I imagine the 150s would be really special.

I know Kevin Deal states that the slam does not come from higher wattage and I am in a different music room now so this may not be an apple to apple comparison with the ATI. 

I have another pair of amps.....Quicksilver Audio Horn Monos that also allow the use of different tubes.  I tried EL-34s, KT-77s, and 6550s.  Again I leaned toward the higher wattage 6550s.  I guess I like the more beefy, robust sound to the detail of the 34s or KT-77s.

I guess I would say unless you have the extra bucks stay where you are.  It is a difference but not a night and day difference. If you want to have an extra set try something more to the other extreme.  The KT-150s are pricey and the cage will not fit on my amp with those installed. 

My plan before installing the 120s was to buy 4 more 6550s since I already have four in the quicksilver amps.  I think the 6550s are closer to KT-88s than to EL-34s.

I am not an expert on tubes by any standard and don't do much tube rolling so YMMV.

You know I respect your opinion and you are more of an expert than I am - as I have never rolled a tube in my life - lol

Been thinking of trying 

GOLD LION KT77 / EL34