Primaluna evo 400 Integrated Amp?

Fido

5 minutes ago, JeffLebowski said:

What is the difference between the 300 and 400 as far as sound quality?

Can't decide and wonder if the extra $1500 is worth it.

I didn't even audition the 300 when I auditioned my EVO 400 because I wanted this Integrated Amp purchase to be my last amp purchase if possible. But - having 8 power amp tubes makes rolling a lot more expensive  - I love the sound of my EVO 400

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fido said:

I didn't even audition the 300 when I auditioned my EVO 400 because I wanted this Integrated Amp purchase to be my last amp purchase if possible. But - having 8 power amp tubes makes rolling a lot more expensive  - I love the sound of my EVO 400

That is where my mind is too Fido.

8 tubes .... only 4 more 😉

Just keep away from the NOS and you will do fine money wise lol.

Cheers

• Like 1

Well mine is not an Evo but a Dialogue Premium HP.  I bought it used and both sets of tubes were part of the sale.  It's a neat looking amp to me and sounds pretty sweet.  I guess around 160 watts more or less. 

I hate to let my ATI 1502 solid state amp sit idle cause it's a fine amp that I got at a bargain.  The Quicksilver Horn Monos are also sitting idle:(  Just too much gear..........

Mookie...I'll keep you in mind if I change tubes again.  Hang in there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fido said:

How do you like the KT 120s compared to the EL 34? - I have only heard my 400 with the EL 34s that it came with

Can't do an apple to apple comparison since along the way I changed the two smaller tubes in the middle for some clear top RCA old stock tubes that were highly touted.  They were courtesy of my forum buddy Marty.

• Like 1

I’m sitting at a stereo shop listening to the EVO 4 now on Heresy IV. I have Khorns and LaScalas at home, and it sounds great on the Heresys. I bet they’ll sound incredible on LaScalas. I also wonder if EVO 300 would be enough. I also have an appointment to check out a used Dialogue Premium HP tomorrow. Would the EVO 400 be any sort of upgrade In sound? It’s definitely less money. [emoji848]

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Drewg said:

I’m sitting at a stereo shop listening to the EVO 4 now on Heresy IV. I have Khorns and LaScalas at home, and it sounds great on the Heresys. I bet they’ll sound incredible on LaScalas. I also wonder if EVO 300 would be enough. I also have an appointment to check out a used Dialogue Premium HP tomorrow. Would the EVO 400 be any sort of upgrade In sound? It’s definitely less money. emoji848.png

I understand they sound very similar but you may want to check with Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio for his input.

• Like 1

I understand they sound very similar but you may want to check with Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio for his input.

I bought a used Dialogue Premium HP today from someone local. It’s a keeper. Sounds sweet on triode and powerful in ultralinear mode on the LaScalas!

caee980d48877136548f24c957fbcd28.jpg
33853cd6088dceadc576aa963bc05778.jpg
a1f782b87f9da142e20acac3c5cd939e.jpg
  • Like 2

This is a wonderful amplifier and I heard it on my friend's Heresy IV and loved it. I also played it with my Magnepan .7's and was impressed at how well it drove them. The only odd thing was pairing it with my Heresy II, which my friend Mirko and I agreed, seemed to produce a more harsh, brittle sound which was quite perplexing. I'm sure it's a wonderful amp with the right match or synergy as audiophiles like to call it. Interestingly, when we paired the Evo 400 with my vintage Dynaco PAS II, it produced a more beautiful, warm, lush sound with my Heresy II.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 8:50 PM, JeffLebowski said:

Every time I see a Primaluna Amp for sale I wonder why. If I had one, I am pretty sure I wouldn't sell it.

I get some need money but if you are trying to "upgrade" I am not sure how it would be done by selling it.

I can not imagine selling my EVO 400. Im sure there are amps that sound amazing in both SS and Valves and some have spectacular technical specs. Some may sound better than the Primaluna but with my Fortes and Sub I cant imagine replacing for something that sounds better. Different is possible but an upgrade??? Highly unlikely! this of course is just my opinion but i understand if people disagree.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread.  Simple question.  I currently run my Forte iiis with a Marantz 250 and Marantz 3300.  I have never owned a line pre without tone controls in my life.

Frankly, I am apprehensive about the EVO 300/400 investment and giving up the loudness button that I have grown quite accustomed to (I know I know haha).

In honesty, my tone controls are generally always flat, but I am a rocker and a loudness button junkie of sorts.  Did any of you miss those options when you went Primaluna?

ted 

Great thread.  Simple question.  I currently run my Forte iiis with a Marantz 250 and Marantz 3300.  I have never owned a line pre without tone controls in my life.
Frankly, I am apprehensive about the EVO 300/400 investment and giving up the loudness button that I have grown quite accustomed to (I know I know haha).
In honesty, my tone controls are generally always flat, but I am a rocker and a loudness button junkie of sorts.  Did any of you miss those options when you went Primaluna?

ted 

I, like you, used the loudness button all the time on my Marantz 2325, and when I got my PL Dialogue Premium HP (similar to evo 400), I did not feel the need for a loudness button at all. You won’t miss it.
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 4:30 AM, tivorocks said:

ted 

Hi Ted,

Running my Klipsch Forte III's via a Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated.

No loudness button required is all I can say....

20200506_114325.jpg

• Like 2