Primaluna evo 400 Integrated Amp?

Fido

On 9/9/2020 at 4:11 AM, Mirko said:

I will say the whole debate for me on solid state vs tubes is pretty silly bc honestly I love the sound of my McIntosh amp and I’m still longing to repurchase a pioneer SX amp that I mistakenly got rid of.  Lesson learned.  

Off topic... for which I apologise for... but....

I hear you Mirko....

20180923_111832.jpg

Edited by Retrograde
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, tivorocks said:

Ok...baby steps...I bought a gently used (50 hrs) PrimaLuna Prologue Premium and it should be here this weekend.  I got it for what I believe was a good price, so if it works out for me, I can trade up to an EVO 300 or 400. 

And you may be happy with the Prologue and a good deal.  Either way enjoy!

• Like 1

Ok...baby steps...I bought a gently used (50 hrs) PrimaLuna Prologue Premium and it should be here this weekend.  I got it for what I believe was a good price, so if it works out for me, I can trade up to an EVO 300 or 400. 

I borrowed the Prologue Premium from a friend, and I was instantly hooked. You should really like it. Congrats.
  • Like 1

The eagle has landed.  You guys were right, no need for that loudness button.  This is my first experience with tube gear, so imagine my surprise to experience the volume and bass thrown from a 30 watt amplifier.  I have read a lot about the differences between tube power and solid state power, but until you actually experience it, it's kind of hard to believe.  My Marantz separates were fun and served me well, but I'm a Primaluna convert now.  Thanks for your help guys.

ted

Prima.jpg

• Like 5

The eagle has landed.  You guys were right, no need for that loudness button.  This is my first experience with tube gear, so imagine my surprise to experience the volume and bass thrown from a 30 watt amplifier.  I have read a lot about the differences between tube power and solid state power, but until you actually experience it, it's kind of hard to believe.  My Marantz separates were fun and served me well, but I'm a Primaluna convert now.  Thanks for your help guys.

ted
Prima.thumb.jpg.7d4a4123e74127fd2549dbb438c42461.jpg

That’s awesome! Congratulations@tivorocks!
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, tivorocks said:

ted

Prima.jpg

CONGRATS BEAUTIFUL AMP -

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tivorocks said:

ted

Prima.jpg

I was very happy with my beautiful Mcintosh MA252 Integrated amp and had not even finished paying for it when I went to Upscale Audio to audition the EVO 400 Integrated playing thru some amazing sounding Tannoy speakers. I was so blown away I became instantly obsessed with trading in the Mcintosh. Getting it home and listening to it through my Klipsch Fortes I realized right away that the EVO sounded even better to me with my Fortes and HSU subwoofer than the Tannoys had sounded at Upscale. I wasted no time paying off the Primaluna and I have enjoyed it almost every day this past year.

Maybe amps all sound the same or maybe not - I don't know and I really don't care because the synergy of my EVO 400 and Klipsch speakers continue to blow my mind song after song after song - congrats on your new toy!

• Like 5

The Evo400 has a big soundstage presence to it. The only thing is it does sound a bit too brittle and bright on its own. Tried it in two different rooms with three different sets of Klipsch speakers with the same results. Maybe a tube change would be needed to roll the Evo off a bit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Not an EVO 400 but a Dialogue Premium HP.  Changed the EL-34s for KT-120s and the two small preamp tubes in the middle for RCA clear tops.

IMG_0039.JPG

so how did you like the kt-120s versus the EL-34's? Was it a dramatic difference?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see some tube rolling going on here....

I've just started to fine tune my tubes to hear what each exchange does.

Today I swapped out the two original Primaluna/Shuguang 12au7 tubes in the Input section with a pair of NOS Matched Brimar 12au7 4003 Military spec from the 1970's.

Now, the original tubes were good.... but these two Brimar tubes are stupendous!

Bass tightens, treble cleans up more and pushes forward, more definition, wider soundstage and that 3D sound bubble got even bigger. This is just from replacing the two front input tubes! Wow! What they say about these Military spec tubes is quite true!

Guitar sounds/plucks, Bass Guitar strums, Hi-Hat hits, Cymbal splash, Snare strikes and rim taps, Voices hanging mid air..... All bang on!

I played Larry Carlton & Robben Ford Unplugged.... I know this CD inside out... Or thought I did! I was transformed there... In my living room.... As though I was sitting at the concert in the front row! The air space!!! Oh my!! All instruments came alive.... All together.... Even the crowd was sitting around me! Amazing! From two tubes! No way!

Then... I played Dido's latest album, Still On My Mind, and heard even more sounds lurking in the background! This made this electronic album sound even more special. Crikey! 😳

Wonder what happens when I change the remaining front flanking tubes....

20201111_142507.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FSHNRIG said:

Were the NOS 4003 gain tubes hard to find and expensive?  

My EVO400 loves Carlton's ES-335 too!  Thanks.

Hi FSHNRIG,

The Brimar NOS 4003's were no problem to find. Good price as well at £30.00 each. I am happy to PM you the details if you like. I was bouncing around the other forums and saw a recommendation of Brimar 13D5 Long Plate so I've just placed an order for two more Brimar 4003's and two Brimar 13D5's. 

Therefore, I'll run four NOS Brimar 4003's as Drivers and two NOS 13D5's as Gains.

Can't wait!

Edited by Retrograde

6 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Hi FSHNRIG,

The Brimar NOS 4003's were no problem to find. Good price as well at £30.00 each. I am happy to PM you the details if you like. I was bouncing around the other forums and saw a recommendation of Brimar 13D5 Long Plate so I've just placed an order for two more Brimar 4003's and two Brimar 13D5's. 

Therefore, I'll run four NOS Brimar 4003's as Drivers and two NOS 13D5's as Gains.

Can't wait!

Id love the details ofBrimar Tubes you bought

• Like 1

PL EVO 400 integrated amp + Cornwall IV's = discovering music all over again. I'm streaming using the Amazon lossless HD service through Bluesound Node 2i. Led Zeppelin IV remastered last night - it was like the first time I ever heard the album. My first Klipsch KLF 20's from 1997 were a great investment at the time - but trading them in on the Cornwall's made it easier to justify this new amp. Perfect match.

I'm using this with a home theater, Yamaha RX-A2020 AVR preouts to the PL. Using HT bypass, I first had a ground-loop problem. Used an iso-transformer on the DTV coax at the wall - and 100% cleaned up the low frequency buzz. Watched Hamilton last night, and it felt like we were in the audience. 

Now I'll be researching a new sub - that can be used LFE for Home Theater from the Yamaha, and RCA from the PL for music. I'll watch for ideas here.

This has me quite excited. My CWIV’s arrived a week and a half ago - and the Evo 300 is next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1