Primaluna evo 400 Integrated Amp?

Fido

2 hours ago, 2Bad said:

Finally got to the end of this thread. Thanks to everyone who posted... I found it very informative. Thinking about getting my first integrated tube amp and the PL 400 may just be the ticket.

Would love to combine the 400's with the Cornwall IV's. 😀

I think the 300 integrated would be more than enough. It's also $1k cheaper and puts off much less heat.

11 hours ago, jcn3 said:

I think the 300 integrated would be more than enough. It's also $1k cheaper and puts off much less heat.

I'm also of the opinion that the 300 integrated has enough power for the CW4 speakers. But unless my budget becomes very tight I still would prefer to get the 400.

Just wish that there was an integrated option that had balanced inputs and outputs. The PL 400 preamp is outside of what I'm willing to pay at this time. As someone previously mentioned... PL should offer a 500 integrated amp with the balanced in's and out's.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:43 PM, 2Bad said:

Finally got to the end of this thread. Thanks to everyone who posted... I found it very informative. Thinking about getting my first integrated tube amp and the PL 400 may just be the ticket.

Would love to combine the 400's with the Cornwall IV's. 😀

You will simply love the sound that the 400 produces. Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers

On 11/8/2021 at 12:12 AM, JeffLebowski said:

Hey Guys,

So, I was documenting that I had a phono-stage issue with a "snowy" sound when I turned the volume up to noon on the dial and nothing playing. (this was a very minute sound but audible)

So, I imagine it is the phono-stage causing it or the cable etc.

But, now, after a month of having the EVO 400i, the channel that was clean and free of "noise" had tube noise with the volume knob not even turned up. 

It seems to have subsided today but it is not entirely clear. 

Does this happen the odd time because of our electrical connections?

Have you had this just arise like me ....  no noise on my channel for my streamer and now it is there?

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

by now your question is a bit older and maybe it has already been answered elsewhere.

To recap, your record needle may be a moving magnet design, which is the usual one, delivers about 4 to 5 mV (= 5 thousandths of one single volt). Your Node 2i will deliver about 2 or 2.5 volts. This is the voltage the aux input of the Primaluna needs.

To amplify the record needle from 4/1000 volt to 2.5 volt you use this phono preamplifier between TT and aux input. So this device has to amplify more than factor 600 (and at the same time it is also an equalizer because vinyl records have little bass in the grooves, another story).

This causes the noise you hear when you turn up the volume pot without playing a record. Of course, when you play a record you don't turn it up so high and the noise stays below the perception threshold except for quiet parts in classical music.

Because of this, there are differences in the quality of these phono preamps and some cost four figures and they only have this single job to do. For this reason I like vintage receivers and vintage integrated amps because it used to be a prestige item to have a very good phono input already built in. E.g. the better receivers of the 70s like Marantz or Yamaha and many more. The phono input of a Mcintosh C22 pre amp since 1961 was so good that the company Shindo in Japan has copied the circuit until today...not maliciously but in reverence. Shindo builds some of the most expensive amplifiers in the world. 

To summarize...the noise is normal, it is sometimes more sometimes less loud, depending on the quality of the device. Your Primaluna is just doing its job. For it, the noise is just a part of the signal, as if it were meant like music.

Your new issue is something completely different. Now you hear unwanted sounds coming from your Primaluna itself. That's why you hear it even when the volume knob is fully closed. The most typical is when it is related to one of the small tubes. My first thought is that it is winter now and that the climate is changing, even indoors. We heat, have drier air, etc. Or we don't always heat and have cold humid air in the amp room, whatever.

That's why the first thing I would do is just unplug the little tubes, clean the pins with a dry cloth and plug it back in. Of course with the amp cold and when it's off.
The second reason for unwanted cracks or hizz could be that actually one of the small tubes makes this noise in terms of being not ok…more than a clean up could do. You can change within the same! type (never change the places of different types, e.g. 12AX7 against 12AT7) the tubes on their places and see if the noise moves e.g. from left to right. If it does move it is likely to be one of the tubes is faulty.

If there is no change in the origin of the noise, then I would suspect that a built-in passive component could be causing the error, e.g. a capacitor or a resistor. With the above search you can hope that you do not have to ship the amp. That would only be the case if such an internal passive component would be affected.

• Like 1

Hi Kt88 and Happy New Year!

Sorry for the late reply. 

Makes total sense about the phono "noise" and as for the rest of the issues, I lifted and reset some of the front tubes and now it is fine as for the "noise" I was hearing. Fido mentioned that simply lifting and resetting can cause the tubes to properly connect and that is what I did and I have to say that I just love this amp. 
I really appreciate your reply and concern and I have to say I love your country. When I was 18 I hitchhiked from Helmstedt to Berlin. Saw the Wall when it was there and every German I met was just the coolest.

My favourite band in the 80s was also the Scorpions! Of course, that was when Michael Schenker and Uli Jon Roth were part of them. 
Anyways...again...thanks.

Belated happy new year, Jeff. Glad you liked it in Germany. Then you were here shortly after the fall of the wall? Because before that it was not possible to hitchhike through East Germany. We should all travel more if we can afford it. It broadens our own horizons. I'm glad I've been to the USA a few times. I like your country very much, the many nice people, the nature with the national parks and the big cities. I was also off the beaten track in Tennessee and Kentucky a very nice area which reminds me on Germany partly regarding the landscape but of course with much hotter weather. Everything is so different depending on where you are in the US and we had very friendly and interesting conversations.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, Idontknow said:

The Evo 400 is a nice integrated amp. It’s a bit on the bright side on its own when coupled to the Heresy’s. A warmer preamp enhances the sound IMO. I have a longer video review of the 400 but haven’t posted it just yet. 

I don't find the 400 on the bright side with my Forte IVs but perhaps the Hereseys are brighter than the Forte IVs.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:47 PM, Idontknow said:

The Evo 400 is a nice integrated amp. It’s a bit on the bright side on its own when coupled to the Heresy’s. A warmer preamp enhances the sound IMO. I have a longer video review of the 400 but haven’t posted it just yet. 

Can't wait to see your video review.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 3:59 AM, Sound wave said:

Hello...I'm very interested in this set up...so please tell me...if I want to use tidal streaming...to get what you say is awesome...Do I need all 3 pieces? ... 

1-Prima Luna Evo 400 integrated

2-Denifrips Pontus 

3- and Node 2i 

The node 2i has a built in DAC so you don’t have to buy a Denefrips DAC.

• Like 1