The Klipsch Audio Community
Fido

Primaluna evo 400 Integrated Amp?

On 12/8/2020 at 9:05 PM, JeffLebowski said:

I feel the same about tweaking bad recordings with something like tone controls. Question for you. If you can't do that with the PL, could you add a SUB to it to help with bad recordings? I use my sub to compensate for harshness etc. when playing records that I probably got quality pricing pressings of when I had no money. Hey wait, I still have no money.

LOL.

Seriously, a SUB really helps me. I only use it maybe 10% of the time but when I do it really changes a bad recording into a listenable one.

its interesting that you mentioned the sub, bc I actually got rid of my sub with this setup.  I find the heresy IV and the prima luna to provide a perfect amount of bass. When I had the sub it felt obtrusive and I turned it off, and then just got rid of it altogether.  For movies I can see the use of a sub, but for music which is 90% of my listening, I have no use for a sub.  To address the adjustment, I have been looking into some preamp options.  I’ve really been eyeing to sell or trad some gear to get a McIntosh preamp.  I have the McIntosh MHA headphone integrated amp/dac and it pairs nicely with the Primaluna to allow, CD, Optical, and USB DaC, but it will not allow for sound tweaking, as it’s strictly a DAC and pass through at that point. Which gives me the thought to maybe look into other options to pair or put in between the two or replace the headphone amp all together with a dedicated “preamp”.  The Primaluna has a Home theater pass through that I run it through and it works really really well.  Low noise, and great sound, using the preamps remote as the volume control.  

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 4:51 PM, tivorocks said:

Somewhat related and not related.  For giggles, I swapped my Fortes out with my JBL L100s to see if the Primaluna would drive them. The Prologue's 35 watts drove them

quite well and they sounded pretty pretty nice.  No loss of window rattling either.  In reference to the above, I always found the JBLs more forgiving on crappier source material (not shocking).  Life after Fortes was seeking out the best source material for the best listening experience.

The JBLs are efficient enough... When I first got my JBL 4311s in the early '70s, I had them paired with a sweet JVC integrated that was 30 wpc. It could easily get them loud enogh to rock the house.

• Like 1

i recently replaced my Yamaha 100 wpm with a EVO 400 Integrated, driving a pair of Cherry La Scala's II's, and a HSU VTF 15H Mk 2 sub.   Night and day difference, such amazing sound. Worth every penny. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ibmc said:

i recently replaced my Yamaha 100 wpm with a EVO 400 Integrated, driving a pair of Cherry La Scala's II's, and a HSU VTF 15H Mk 2 sub.   Night and day difference, such amazing sound. Worth every penny. 

Welcome to the forum!  I have the PL Dialogue Premium HP.

IMG_9641.JPG

Wow!

I've just connected my Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G Mobile Phone to my EVO 400 via the Samsung USB-C output to RCA in of the EVO 400 playing via the Tidal App and Masters recordings.

You've got to give this a go!

Amazing sound!

I am late to the party here for Prima Luna  . Great to see so many others agreeing with my ears,, PL makes great music !

Running both pre & amp of the Premium Dialog for couple years now . Have spent crazy money trying many different brands thru the years, the Pl 's stopped my searching .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Wow!

I've just connected my Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G Mobile Phone to my EVO 400 via the Samsung USB-C output to RCA in of the EVO 400 playing via the Tidal App and Masters recordings.

You've got to give this a go!

Amazing sound!

From what I've read, while Apple and Android phones can open Tidal's MQA files, you still need another device that unpacks it for the true MQA file to be played. 

5 minutes ago, Shiva said:

From what I've read, while Apple and Android phones can open Tidal's MQA files, you still need another device that unpacks it for the true MQA file to be played. 

Oh.. OK. I'll try to run the phone through my DAC and see what happens.

Otherwise, as it is... sounds awesome directly from phone to amp. So much more detail, clarity and thump.. Can't believe what I'm hearing really..

• Like 1

My Node2i plays MQA thru the built in DACs it has. That said, I found that a majority of songs in my playlists were not offered as MQA on Tidal. I could not hear the difference of MQA versus CD quality on Tidal and found that my Denefrips DAC sounded far superior and analog than the DACs in the Node 2i. I decided to switch to Amazon HD Music and they have almost all the music I like and think it all sounds better than Tidal did with or without MQA but maybe the DACs in the Node 2i just suck. I am not sold on MQA at all. I am very sold on the EVO 400 however!!!

• Like 1