Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Fido

Primaluna evo 400 Integrated Amp?

Recommended Posts

On 2/3/2020 at 7:15 AM, Jugdishian said:

Hey Fido, I have been on the fence about getting the EVO 400 Integrated because I don't have a dealer near by to hear one.  You post may have put me over the edge into pulling the trigger on this.  Are you still happy with the EVO 400 ??

I am still so happy with it! I got a Bluesound Node2i and am streaming so much music now and its mind blowing good in IMHO - Thinking of adding a Denefrips Dac which people claim is more organic analogue sounding than many Sabre based Dacs. Playing records thru my Dual 1229 and MUSICAL FIDELITY MX-VYNL PHONOSTAGE has never sounded this good. It really isn't even close.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marvel said:

@Fido

 

 

Hi Marvel -are you talking to me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, someone on the previous page asked you a question, which I think you've just answered above. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't know if you would look here again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Marvel - I had missed that post - I get very busy sometimes and am not up here that often

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got the Evo 200 integrated and my jaw is still on the floor. I was not a tube guy at all, but OMG this sounds good. Using the stock tubes now...are you telling me it gets better than this? Geez...

Speakers are Forte 3s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been running their bottom of the food chain integrated for 2 years now.  No tube "upgrades" no nuttin.  Turn it on and go.  30 minutes later the cream starts to rise as the tubes warm and it blossoms sounding even better.  Running a pair of 81 LS w/Deang networks and Crites CT-120 tweeters.  Freaking amazing.  Unrolled a nice persian rug the other day on the hardwood floor and BOOM it smoothed things out even more.  My "practical" trial period is almost over and I'm gonna move up the food chain a couple steps soon!  Love watching friends as their jaws drop!  hahaha

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

I've been running their bottom of the food chain integrated for 2 years now.  No tube "upgrades" no nuttin.  Turn it on and go.  30 minutes later the cream starts to rise as the tubes warm and it blossoms sounding even better.  Running a pair of 81 LS w/Deang networks and Crites CT-120 tweeters.  Freaking amazing.  Unrolled a nice persian rug the other day on the hardwood floor and BOOM it smoothed things out even more.  My "practical" trial period is almost over and I'm gonna move up the food chain a couple steps soon!  Love watching friends as their jaws drop!  hahaha

 

Every time I play music thru my EVO 400 I am completely amazed how good it sounds and how "Nothing I have ever heard in any of my friends home systems" even comes close to comparing. I freaking love this integrated AMP!!! WOW!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 1:36 AM, Fido said:

I could not resist and traded my MA252 in today at Upscale Audio for the EVO 400 Integrated and I just got it up and running and threw on some CDs just to check it out in my living room setup. Without a doubt the best my Forte ever sounded this good until today - of course the EVO 400 is not broken in at all but holy mother of God does this setup sound amazing! Tomorrow I'll get my Vincent Phono Stage setup and listen to some of my all time favorite vinyl and then stream some Tidal to put it thru its paces - I'm a very happy camper - I had no idea that my 1986 Fortes could sound this amazing.

I just came across this post.... very informative.... I'm very close to purchasing a used Dialouge Premium HP or a new EVO 300... my question is how did you find the Vincent Phono Stage paired up with your EVO 400? I'm told that the Phono Stage option with the EVO line is so so and one can do better... I've been looking at the Vincent for a while but not sure being both tube based they may clash somehow ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike Otte said:

I just came across this post.... very informative.... I'm very close to purchasing a used Dialouge Premium HP or a new EVO 300... my question is how did you find the Vincent Phono Stage paired up with your EVO 400? I'm told that the Phono Stage option with the EVO line is so so and one can do better... I've been looking at the Vincent for a while but not sure being both tube based they may clash somehow ?

My Vincent had a hum problem which many people claimed was a common occurrence. I think I could have trouble shooted it more with a NULL plug perhaps but didn't want to deal with troubleshooting it so I traded it in for a MUSICAL FIDELITY MX-VYNL PHONOSTAGE and it sounds fantastic with no hum at all - best phonstage I have ever owned and at Upscale Audio it was only $150 more than the Vincent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fido said:

My Vincent had a hum problem which many people claimed was a common occurrence. I think I could have trouble shooted it more with a NULL plug perhaps but didn't want to deal with troubleshooting it so I traded it in for a MUSICAL FIDELITY MX-VYNL PHONOSTAGE and it sounds fantastic with no hum at all - best phonstage I have ever owned and at Upscale Audio it was only $150 more than the Vincent


by NULL caps, do you mean RCA caps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Fido,

I've been reading up on many Klipsch Forte III and PrimaLuna EVO 400 reviews and forum comments. Your journey has been of great interest to me in my decision over the Speakers and Amp.

I have just become the proud owner of a pair of Forte III's in Distressed Oak finish.

Wow!

What a sound!!.... and that's just from my Audiolab 6000A Amp (50wpc) and even a Brennan JB7 (30wpc).

I have a PrimaLuna EVO 400 Integrated en route to me next week and am looking forward to 'tube-ing' through the Forte III's.

I will be looking to obtain an Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport to use with the EVO 400.

DAC wise.... I would like to get the RME ADI-2 DAC to hook up to the 6000 CDT transport. I chose this DAC as it is highly rated and offers tuning flexibility which is useful for room and general sound tuning. For my Vinyl pleasure I have purchased a Rega Fono MM MK3.

I will update this post accordingly once all is set up and running.

 

 

20200501_161401~2.jpg

Edited by Retrograde
Add a photo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello!  Keep it coming!  I too have a EVO 400 coming in for me perhaps this week.  I ordered it last week with a Music Fidelity phone stage so I can play my vinyl collection right out of the chute.  Getting pretty excited.  I will need to utilize my current speakers for now but the Forte are on my short list...  the Klipsch KLF-10's are solid performers and will give them a try.  I had a great shop in my neighborhood and listened to the MA 252 and 352.  Wasn't what I was hoping for until I heard the Primaluna.  I never tried any of the other PL models to know if I the 300 was adequate, etc.. for the price difference I should be able to drive most speakers if I choose to change.  

Edited by FSHNRIG
Spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi FSHNRIG,

Pleased to meet you!! And thanks for sharing your journey.

Now this is interesting....

I also looked at getting an MA 252 and then thought of pushing the boat out on a

MA 352. Did you get to listen/trial them?

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts as I almost went the McIntosh way...

It really was very close.... Quite literally, almost pushed the buy now button but then had a total flip of mind to take a chance on the EVO 400. 😅

 

Edited by Retrograde
Clarification
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I have to flip the switch anymore.  Hit Upscale then just push the button that says "Add to Cart."  😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gathered a few of my favorite tunes (cd and lp) , went to the stereo shop hoping to listen to a few high end integrated amps that were dependable and held their value over the years.  Considering what may be the last and best amp for me to retire with and to base my operation around.  The McIntosh MA-252 and 352 experience was very good overall but similar to other solid state amplification I've had and enjoyed.  Stepping up to the 352 definitely provided more headroom and dynamic range but still missing something... I did my best in explaining to the shop owner that I was waiting to hear the mid-range lush from the acoustic instruments and vocal ribbon mics producing that presence with harmonic depth.  Once we connected up the Primaluna it was over with.  It was the sound I was looking for that touched my soul.  The sound put me in a place of content and relaxation and suppressed the analytical side of me.  I never heard another amp before that put me in a place similar to live performance like this amp did.  I've experienced a fair amount of awesome live venues and performed with some sweet concert choirs... I know the sound, feel and absorption of good music when I hear it.  It did that day and will move forward with this amp hopefully for a long long time.  In the near future I will continue the quest for the best pair of speakers for my rig.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 11:32 AM, Retrograde said:

Hi FSHNRIG,

Pleased to meet you!! And thanks for sharing your journey.

Now this is interesting....

I also looked at getting an MA 252 and then thought of pushing the boat out on a

MA 352. Did you get to listen/trial them?

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts as I almost went the McIntosh way...

It really was very close.... Quite literally, almost pushed the buy now button but then had a total flip of mind to take a chance on the EVO 400. 😅

 

When I bought my MA-252 I was very happy with the sound it produced and loved the look and build quality. At some point I started thinking that maybe I was missing something since so many Klipsch owners love listening to music thru a tube amp. I had read about the Primaluna Integrated amps and watched Kevin Deals videos and decided it was worth a drive to  Upscale Audio to see what the fuss was about. Listening to the Primaluna 400 EVO BLEW MY MIND and it was obvious I could no longer feel content listening to music thru my MA252. So I traded the Mcintosh in for the Primaluna and could never go back. With the EVO 400 it feels like Jackson Browne, Cat Stevens, Tom Petty, Lady Gaga etc... are in my living room performing live just for me. Cant put it into words - but holy crap wowzers yeehaw! I love the Primaluna Amp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 11:32 AM, Retrograde said:

Hi FSHNRIG,

Pleased to meet you!! And thanks for sharing your journey.

Now this is interesting....

I also looked at getting an MA 252 and then thought of pushing the boat out on a

MA 352. Did you get to listen/trial them?

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts as I almost went the McIntosh way...

It really was very close.... Quite literally, almost pushed the buy now button but then had a total flip of mind to take a chance on the EVO 400. 😅

 

I owned the MA-252 for over a year and it was very good and beautiful and I truly enjoyed it. That said, it was not nearly as amazing as the Evo 400 is. The Primaluna is AMAZING!!!!!! Breathtaking sound wether in Triode or Ultralinear mode! Spectactular!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fido said:

I owned the MA-252 for over a year and it was very good and beautiful and I truly enjoyed it. That said, it was not nearly as amazing as the Evo 400 is. The Primaluna is AMAZING!!!!!! Breathtaking sound wether in Triode or Ultralinear mode! Spectactular!

Thanks Fido,

This is all good news to me as my EVO 400 arrives tomorrow (Wednesday).

Cannot wait to hook it up to my Forte III's and listen to what magic may come out of them.

I'll update all later with a couple of pictures and my initial thoughts.

Thank you for your information and recommendations. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...