2.1 or 3.1 for music

Eivind

Hi,

So i am currently waiting for my new 5.1 system to arrive ( 2x RP-280F, 2x RP-160M, RP-440C & R-115SW with Denon AVR X2600H), and i'm trying to gather some information regarding setup and settings in the meantime. If I already have a center channel, should i use it listening to music, or stick to 2.1? I know i should do what i think sounds best, but is there any advantages or disadvatages with using a center speaker with music?

I have noticed the Denon receiver has some "quick select settings" buttons on the remote, but i haven't been able to find any specific details on it. Therefore i'm wondering if anyone has experience with Denon receivers and changing between settings. Say for example i'm watching a movie in 5.1 with my front speakers set to small, and i want to listen to some music in 2.1 with fronts (L/R) set to large, is there any way to save settings and switch easily between them?

Lately I've been experimenting with exactly that. I have the ability to switch between 2 (phantom center), 3 (true center), 4 (phantom center with surround), or 5 (true center with surround) channels on-the-fly. I find that 4 channels works best in my room with my system. Using the center brings the soundstage too far forward, almost like the vocalist is sitting in my lap.

If my mains were spread really far apart, then the center would probably help, but they're only spread about 60° so the center is not necessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eivind said:

I have noticed the Denon receiver has some "quick select settings" buttons on the remote, but i haven't been able to find any specific details on it. Therefore i'm wondering if anyone has experience with Denon receivers and changing between settings. Say for example i'm watching a movie in 5.1 with my front speakers set to small, and i want to listen to some music in 2.1 with fronts (L/R) set to large, is there any way to save settings and switch easily between them?

Don't know about the latest Denon AVRs but my Yamaha rx-v685 will easily allow me to do just that. 2.0 for music, 4.1 (fronts set to small) with a blu ray movie. Or I can have 2.1 for music but I find my corns don't need the sub for music as they reproduce to 30 hz. Most all the newer Yammi AVRs have 8 "scene buttons" which allow totally different settings (as you choose) per input source, in stored memory. Very happy and pleased with my Yammi.

I would hope the Denon software is similar.