BAR 48 Surround volume at max but can barely hear them

DaleG

13 hours ago, CanadianAndy said:

I watched "The Dark Knight" yesterday with my Surround 3 speakers and it sounded like the centre speaker audio was coming through them, not surround.   Still not very loud at all 

@CanadianAndy

If you were getting any sound from the Surround 3 speakers the BAR 48 must have had the ((SUR)) light on. 🙂

Did you verify that the Dolby Digital light was also on? It would need to be if your source was sending 5.1 surround sound to your soundbar.

To get surround sound from your TV you have to ensure the TV sound output format is set to Dolby Digital and not PCM.

Edited by KevinB

On 1/1/2020 at 7:00 PM, KevinB said:

@CanadianAndy

If you were getting any sound from the Surround 3 speakers the BAR 48 must have had the ((SUR)) light on. 🙂

Did you verify that the Dolby Digital light was also on? It would need to be if your source was sending 5.1 surround sound to your soundbar.

To get surround sound from your TV you have to ensure the TV sound output format is set to Dolby Digital and not PCM.

I didn't check to see if the Dolby Digital light was on during the movie however when I have Netflix running, that light is on and the sound is more noticeable...I haven't taken them back yet and it seems as though they are getting better day by day some how.   

17 minutes ago, CanadianAndy said:

I didn't check to see if the Dolby Digital light was on during the movie however when I have Netflix running, that light is on and the sound is more noticeable...I haven't taken them back yet and it seems as though they are getting better day by day some how.   

@CanadianAndy If the Dolby Digital (or DTS) light is not on, you are not getting surround sound from the source. If it is on, you might be getting 5.1 surround sound from the source but you could just be getting stereo or even mono sound.

If the Dolby Digital (or DTS) light is not on and the BAR 48 has to simulate surround sound, the sound level from the surround speakers will be barely audible. I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work but this is how it works on my system.

Edited by KevinB

16 minutes ago, KevinB said:

@CanadianAndy If the Dolby Digital (or DTS) light is not on, you are not getting surround sound from the source. If it is on, you might be getting 5.1 surround sound from the source but you could just be getting stereo or even mono sound.

If the Dolby Digital (or DTS) light is not on and the BAR 48 has to simulate surround sound, the sound level from the surround speakers will be barely audible.

I just started playing another bluray disc with digital dolby and the dolby light is not on the soundbar...similar to when I had the Dark Knight in...I wonder why that is ?  Netflix through my tv however has the digital dolby light on.....weird.

1 minute ago, CanadianAndy said:

I just started playing another bluray disc with digital dolby and the dolby light is not on the soundbar...similar to when I had the Dark Knight in...I wonder why that is ?  Netflix through my tv however has the digital dolby light on.....weird.

How is the Blu-ray disk connected? I assume it is connected to the TV?

Is there a setting on the Blu-ray player that lets you specify the digital audio output format? If so, make sure it is set to Dolby Digital (or DTS) and not PCM.

If you can confirm that the Blu-ray player audio output format is Dolby Digital (or DTS) and the TV is not passing that through to you soundbar, then the issue could be related to High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).  

10 minutes ago, CanadianAndy said:

12 minutes ago, KevinB said:

How is the Blu-ray disk connected? I assume it is connected to the TV?

Is there a setting on the Blu-ray player that lets you specify the digital audio output format? If so, make sure it is set to Dolby Digital (or DTS) and not PCM.

If you can confirm that the Blu-ray player audio output format is Dolby Digital (or DTS) and the TV is not passing that through to you soundbar, then the issue could be related to High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).  

Blu Ray is connected to my tv via hdmi cable and I wonder if it's because its an old player?  Like 10 years old.   I dunno, I hate all this new technology crap, it never seems to work properly.  I replaced my Sony BDV-IZ1000W surround system with the new Klipsch but I am still using the Sony blu ray player.   The only reason I upgraded was the Sony wasn't playing audio through it's speakers when I got the new LG tv.  When it worked, it was great though. 

RE: Is Surround turned on? Check the BAR to see that the "((SUR))" light is on, with or without "DB" on. It can be turned on with the remote, press the "((SUR))" and confirm the BAR shows the "((SUR))" light is on. Then I confirm the rear speakers are getting signal by putting my ear up to them (which of course, is too quiet, and is the problem Klipsch needs to fix).

24 minutes ago, CanadianAndy said:

Blu Ray is connected to my tv via hdmi cable and I wonder if it's because its an old player?  Like 10 years old.   I dunno, I hate all this new technology crap, it never seems to work properly.  I replaced my Sony BDV-IZ1000W surround system with the new Klipsch but I am still using the Sony blu ray player.   The only reason I upgraded was the Sony wasn't playing audio through it's speakers when I got the new LG tv.  When it worked, it was great though. 

@CanadianAndy 

Check the audio output format on the TV. If you see the Dolby Digital light on the soundbar when watching Netflix then the TV is set correctly to output Dolby Digital. Does the TV output still show Dolby Digital when watching a Blu-ray movie? I doubt it, otherwise the Dolby Digital light on the soundbar would be illuminated so either the Blu-ray player is not sending Dolby Digital to the TV or HDCP is preventing the TV from sending it to your soundbar. 

If that is the case, you may still be able to listen to your Blu-ray movies in surround sound if you can connect the Blu-ray player directly to the BAR 48 using a digital optical cable (assuming your Blu-ray player has a digital optical output.) 

You won't get any sound from the Surround 3 speakers unless the ((SUR)) light on the soundbar is illuminated.

Edited by KevinB

29 minutes ago, CanadianAndy said:

The only reason I upgraded was the Sony wasn't playing audio through it's speakers when I got the new LG tv.  When it worked, it was great though. 

@CanadianAndy

How was the Blu-ray player connected to the Sony BDV-IZ1000W surround system before you got the new TV?

Edited by KevinB

15 minutes ago, DaleG said:

RE: Is Surround turned on? Check the BAR to see that the "((SUR))" light is on, with or without "DB" on. It can be turned on with the remote, press the "((SUR))" and confirm the BAR shows the "((SUR))" light is on. Then I confirm the rear speakers are getting signal by putting my ear up to them (which of course, is too quiet, and is the problem Klipsch needs to fix).

Hi Dale,  yes the surround light is on but the Dolby isn't while I have the movie playing...and the sound is minimal from the 2 Surround speakers.    I'm starting to think it may be my blu ray player.....I'll look to see if it has the optical out as suggested by Kevin. 

15 minutes ago, KevinB said:

@CanadianAndy 

Check the audio output format on the TV. If you see the Dolby Digital light on the soundbar when watching Netflix then the TV is set correctly to output Dolby Digital. Does the TV output still show Dolby Digital when watching a Blu-ray movie? I doubt it, otherwise the Dolby Digital light on the soundbar would be illuminated so either the Blu-ray player is not sending Dolby Digital to the TV or HDCP is preventing the TV from sending it to your soundbar. 

If that is the case, you may still be able to listen to your Blu-ray movies in surround sound if you can connect the Blu-ray player directly to the BAR 48 using a digital optical cable (assuming your Blu-ray player has a digital optical output.) 

You won't get any sound from the Surround 3 speakers unless the ((SUR)) light on the soundbar is illuminated.

Thank's for the tip, I'll have a look at the back of it to see if it has an optical output. 

31 minutes ago, DaleG said:

KevinB, do you have a BAR 48 with 5.1? If so, are the rear speakers working properly to your satisfaction? If not, what is the problem?

@DaleG

Yes I do have the Surround 3 speakers connected to my BAR 48. My BAR 48 is connected to my TV via HDMI (ARC). I do not have a DVD/Blu-ray player.

The sound level from the Surround 3 speakers is adequate when:

• I'm watching a movie with DD sound and the DD light on my soundbar is illuminated. and...
  • the ((SUR)) indicator on the BAR 48 is illuminated, and...
  • The surround volume is at maximum

The sound from the Surround 3 speakers is barely audible when the ((SUR)) indicator on the BAR 48 is illuminated while:

• listening to a non DD audio source, or
  • using the Bluetooth connection, or
  • using the analog connection.

I would like the sound level from my Surround 3 speakers to be at the current level with the Surround volume set to a neutral level.

Edited by KevinB
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CanadianAndy said:

Well it is a blu-ray player / amplifier all in one but it was connected to my old tv with an hdmi cable as well.  

@CanadianAndy

That helps. So on your previous hookup you were not listening to the audio via the Blu-ray player HDMI connection. I would check the Sony manual to determine of the player will provide Dolby Digital audio via the HDMI connection. If it can do so I would try a new HDMI cable, assuming your old one doesn't support the current standard.

KevinB wrote:

The sound level from the Surround 3 speakers is adequate when:

• I'm watching a movie with DD sound and the DD light on my soundbar is illuminated. and...
  • the ((SUR)) indicator on the BAR 48 is illuminated, and...
  • The surround volume is at maximum

I play DD channels from cable TV (Comcast/Xfinity) with ((SUR)) turned on, S3 volume at max and ... the S3 speakers are a bare whisper. Same thing from Bluetooth and Optical inputs. I don't have a Bluray player attached. Same thing when I play Amazon Prime videos with 5.1 channel sound, with both DD and ((SUR)) lights on (LG 4KTV with Amazon Prime app built-in, which is 1 year old TV).
As a comparison to what I expect from the BAR 48 5.1, I have a home theater I setup a few years ago, with a Denon 7.2 receiver with 7.2 Klipsch speakers and they all play nice and loud. This is what I expect from the BAR 48 5.1 if Klipsch engineers would get their act together, fix the problem and release a firmware update this month, or I will have to return the S3 speakers by Jan 31 for a full refund from Amazon.

23 minutes ago, DaleG said:

I play DD channels from cable TV (Comcast/Xfinity) with ((SUR)) turned on, S3 volume at max and ... the S3 speakers are a bare whisper. Same thing from Bluetooth and Optical inputs. I don't have a Bluray player attached. Same thing when I play Amazon Prime videos with 5.1 channel sound, with both DD and ((SUR)) lights on (LG 4KTV with Amazon Prime app built-in, which is 1 year old TV).

@DaleG

I hope as we each describe our setup and explore every possibility why this issue persists we can provide Klipsch the necessary details to to get it resolved, assuming someone from Klipsch even looks at these posts. 😞

There are always hidden assumptions about which we must become aware. In my case, all my comments are based on the behaviour I experience when the BAR 48 is connected to my Samsung Q70 TV. The Q70 will only provide Dolby Digital output when source provides Dolby Digital to the Q70. I do not know if all TVs behave the same way. Perhaps some TVs will provide Dolby Digital output at all times. Dolby Digital supports multiple audio channels including mono, stereo and 5.1 surround so it is entirely possible that the soundbar can recognise a Dolby Digital audio source that does not contain any surround content.

My Q70 provides a number of apps. Netflix will provide 5.1 surround to the TV which in turn passes it through to the soundbar. Other popular apps are not able to pass Dolby Digital through to the TV so while the movie may provide DD 5.1 surround it may only come through as stereo or worse.

Of the various movies and TV shows available I have found The Expanse to provide the most dramatic surround sound effects.

Another thing to be aware of is HDCP. It can allow HD 5.1 content to a connected device but prevent the content from reaching a third device.

• Like 1

KevinB,
OK, so I found and I am playing The Expanse, Season 4, Episode 1 now on my LG 4KTV through Amazon Prime Video app. The only time I hear the rear speakers is during action scenes such space battle scenes where things are flying back to front and booming from behind me. The rear speaker loudness is underwhelming, as though the rear sounds are an afterthought tossed in every so often. If the S3 speakers could be adjusted another 20+ dB upward to be as loud or louder than the front 3.1 speakers all the time, I might enjoy it. My expectation is equal to what I have with my Denon/Klipsch 7.2 home theater where I can listen to all sources in fully volume-balanced surround mode 100% of time, including listening to stereo sources like music CDs and mp3. My rating on the Surround 3 speakers for the BAR 48: Klipsch failed. It may be beyond their technical expertise to date, they may need to hire new experts in the field of digital sound technologies (although I admire and am dedicated to the sound quality of their traditional speaker technology), but I hope they can fix it with a firmware update before January 31, or these speakers are being returned for a full refund.
PS - KevinB, thanks for the suggestion of a good 5.1 surround video to play to see what the BAR 48 5.1 does and does not do.

Edited by DaleG

30 minutes ago, DaleG said:

KevinB,
OK, so I found and I am playing The Expanse, Season 4, Episode 1 now on my LG 4KTV through Amazon Prime Video app. The only time I hear the rear speakers is during action scenes such space battle scenes where things are flying back to front and booming from behind me. The rear speaker loudness is underwhelming, as though the rear sounds are an afterthought tossed in every so often. If the S3 speakers could be adjusted another 20+ dB upward to be as loud or louder than the front 3.1 speakers all the time, I might enjoy it. My expectation is equal to what I have with my Denon/Klipsch 7.2 home theater where I can listen to all sources in fully volume-balanced surround mode 100% of time, including listening to stereo sources like music CDs and mp3. My rating on the Surround 3 speakers for the BAR 48: Klipsch failed. It may be beyond their technical expertise to date, they may need to hire new experts in the field of digital sound technologies (although I admire and am dedicated to the sound quality of their traditional speaker technology), but I hope they can fix it with a firmware update before January 31, or these speakers are being returned for a full refund.

@DaleG

I don't disagree with what you say. The only thing that The Expanse proves is that under the right conditions the Surround 3 speakers can produce surround sound albeit not without issues. At least we can rule out the surround issues are not due to the lack of surround content in the source.

I've been told to expect a call from a Klipsch Customer Support supervisor tomorrow. I will pass on anything of interest I learn from him.

Good hunting with the phone call the tech support. I opened a web support request almost a month ago. A few days ago, I received a response to update the firmware. Gee, why didn't I think of that. I wrote a lengthy reply (see above). If you would, really push for the fact that the rear speaker channels need at least another 20+ db upward or more to equalize sound during normal stereo playback in ((SUR)) surround mode.

Edited by DaleG