7 hours ago, glens said:

Perhaps if the speakers have been subjected to prolonged periods of use right up at their power limits through the years it might make sense to refresh drivers.

I've not heard any Chorus to my knowledge but by all accounts I've seen (here) they are a great product.  I'd think you really want something different because once you start doing everything you're talking about, that's what you'll have.  And then you'll be out a pair of Chorus as well.

I can't tell if you're merely seeking community approval or whether you're trying to get somebody else to try it for you first.

I don't know how my speakers have been used before, but as you say, chancees of worn bass speakers are there.  Im not seeking community approval, but am looking for people who have experience with changes to their speakers.  Therefore, it is nice if someone wants or has made changes.

It would seem you've come to the right place, then.  While I'm sure the majority here are not tinkerers, there certainly are a few who are.

Except for perhaps good appearance (which I'm guessing your cabinets have?), it doesn't take much to build a couple boxes.  Then you'd have two pair of horn-top 15"-woofer speakers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, raeggis said:

Im not seeking community approval, but am looking for people who have experience with changes to their speakers.  Therefore, it is nice if someone wants or has made changes.

Here's a link to one of my old threads:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, geoff. said:

If anyone has any first hand experience using the 15PR400 I would love to hear about it.

While I understand your curiosity and would love to hear some reviews myself I personally think the k-48 is about the very last thing that needs work in the Chorus line in fact I think that's really pretty much what makes the speaker line so great. Try replacing the stock tweeter with the de-120 and stock mid driver / horn with the A55-g and get back to me I believe that really closes the gap on the big boy heritage models by quite a bit, enough that I have been dragging my feet on moving on from that combo as it just sounds right to me.

• Like 1

Oh, make no mistake about it, the K-48 is THE bomb.

I wouldn’t think about replacing a working one with anything else in a Klipsch designed product.

My thoughts were towards using  the 15PR400 in a new build.

Specifically,  a better Cornscala.

Something with that giant ZXPC mid horn...

And I also have no doubt the DE-120 is the best bang for the buck in a tweeter. I have a pair in rotation right now! Would love to hear it on a MAHL horn, but our dollar is far from par and shipping prices are obscene now.

Have to wait until we are able to visit friends and family in the States again and bring some home with us.

Stay safe down there,

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 07:59, raeggis said:

Non so come siano stati utilizzati i miei altoparlanti prima, ma come dici tu, ci sono possibilità di altoparlanti per bassi usurati. Non cerco l'approvazione della comunità, ma cerco persone che abbiano esperienza con le modifiche ai loro altoparlanti. Pertanto, è bello se qualcuno vuole o ha apportato modifiche.

Have you tried any Faital pro woofer at last?

• Klipsch Employees
On 12/10/2019 at 6:14 AM, raeggis said:

K-48 vs Faital Pro 15 PR 400 C 

I think its a win win here. With higher spl,  and lower mowing mass weight. Fs is lower. Se data specs. https://www.parts-express.com/faitalpro-15pr400-15-neodymium-professional-woofer-4-ohm--294-1270

Should be bolt on without major changes. 

Maybe other speaker elements that are a better replacement than what most people use? 

This is just a thought I have😎

99db sensitivity is for mid band. 

On 1/6/2021 at 4:21 AM, Chief bonehead said:

99db sensitivity is for mid band. 

Yea thats true, I did a measurement on one speaker with K48. K48 did not deliver any good mid bass at all. Here is a view of a pickture with flat sound at one meter. Peaks and dips is room correction on my Behringer deq 2496 

IMG_20210110_214353.jpg

Edited by raeggis
More info

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2021 at 9:01 AM, raeggis said:

Yea thats true, I did a measurement on one speaker with K48. K48 did not deliver any good mid bass at all. 

What are your impressions of the Faital Pro driver? How do they measure compared to the k-48? I find it interesting that the recommended cabinet size on USspeaker website is the same cu ft as a Chorus cabinet with dual 4" ports-- tuning is at 47hz with a -3db point at 48hz, sounds very close to stock Chorus 1 numbers. 

https://www.usspeaker.com/faital pro 15PR400-1.htm

1 X15" LARGE SIZE CABINET SPECS
  • Enclosure Type - Single Bass Reflex/Ported - 1 x 15"

• Internal Cabinet Volume - 4.55 cu. ft.

• Internal Cabinet Dimensions: 22.5" Wide x 20" Height x 17.5" Deep

• Tuning - 47Hz

• Frequency @ -3dB - 48.04Hz

• Round Port - (2) 4"

• Port Depth - 2.375" Deep

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

What are your impressions of the Faital Pro driver? How do they measure compared to the k-48? I find it interesting that the recommended cabinet size on USspeaker website is the same cu ft as a Chorus cabinet with dual 4" ports-- tuning is at 47hz with a -3db point at 48hz, sounds very close to stock Chorus 1 numbers. 

https://www.usspeaker.com/faital pro 15PR400-1.htm

1 X15" LARGE SIZE CABINET SPECS
  • Enclosure Type - Single Bass Reflex/Ported - 1 x 15"

• Internal Cabinet Volume - 4.55 cu. ft.

• Internal Cabinet Dimensions: 22.5" Wide x 20" Height x 17.5" Deep

• Tuning - 47Hz

• Frequency @ -3dB - 48.04Hz

• Round Port - (2) 4"

• Port Depth - 2.375" Deep

I tuned passive radiator around 32 hz. A few hz lower than Faitals 35 hz Fs . The deep bass is lissenable to under 30hz. Som i have a +2 db at 26 hz, and -2 db on the rest under 26hz on the equalizer. But the deep bass is good on flat eq too. I did a massage on bass speaker AS IT vill take a long time to play it in , before membran loosenes up. Fatal did not favorisise any frequenzy at all. K48 did that at 40 hz.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, raeggis said:

Test video. Filmed  3,5 meters from speakers.

I actually seen that on another thread which is what prompted me to ask about the woofers. I've got 4 pairs of k-48's, two pair in use, a NOS pair for an upcoming build and an extra pair just in case.

These Faital Pro's look very nice-- are they more sensitive than the k-48's? Have you taken any measurements? Did you have to modify the crossover at all for these? Thanks!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I actually seen that on another thread which is what prompted me to ask about the woofers. I've got 4 pairs of k-48's, two pair in use, a NOS pair for an upcoming build and an extra pair just in case.

These Faital Pro's look very nice-- are they more sensitive than the k-48's? Have you taken any measurements? Did you have to modify the crossover at all for these? Thanks!

I have new caps, same value as originale, only plug and play 😀 no measurements. Bass plays Nice up to 600 hz, same db on mid horn. So cross over is ok.  Vokals is fuller. with Faital vs K48. 

• Like 2