Klipsch Chorus I Port Modification?

MEH Synergy

Hello all.   Looking for some advice.   I thought I remembered seeing a thread some time ago here (perhaps elsewhere) about modding ports on Chorus I for lower extension.   I did a quick search and didn't come up with what I was looking for.   Anyone done it?  Easy drop in ports without cabinet modification?   Would appreciate some input. If it is a terrible idea, feel free to say so.   Thanks. 

33 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Disregard, I found it after some more digging

you can only extend response so far the driver and the cabinet volume will together form a system resonance and that will determine how low you can tune the vent. You can cause the cabinet to nave a virtual volume about 22% larger than it is by damping properly with  high density fiberglass like Owens Corning 701 but short of that you must work with what you have. You can make experimental ports quickly for very little using poster board or heavy craft paper and some tape you can experiment in your room with tube lengths  of 6 - 7 inches long that is as low as is realistic with a Chorus the driver cannot drive the vet any lower than that tuning if you attempt to tune lower you leave your woofer un loaded and at extreme risk of burn out due to very low to no load in which case it can go into totally uncontrolled resonance and over heat and may burn out. Six to seven inches will gain you a solid improvement to bass extension with no risk to the driver.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the one with the "other" Chorus port mod thread, & I would ABSOLUTELY do it again !!! I bought a test tone CD just to have a measurable before & after reference point. (info is in my earlier thread) & mine went from being able to hear a 45 hz test tone down to a 39 hz tone after the mods...

That may not sound like alot, but trust me it's SIGNIFICANT difference when listening to music. "Six Blade Knife" by Dire Straits will put a palpable thump in my chest wall across the room & knock stuff off my shelves 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, am familiar with the member s involved in that build.

You however have contributed to the forum and have your own day in the sun here with your own build thread. It is s good one and will be

noted as a nice contribution to the subject. Hope you are well and enjoying your efforts. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes, am familiar with the member s involved in that build.

You however have contributed to the forum and have your own day in the sun here with your own build thread. It is s good one and will be

noted as a nice contribution to the subject. Hope you are well and enjoying your efforts. Thanks!

Thanks for the + review, & YES I'm still enjoying my Chorus 1's. I actually sold my La Scala's afterwards & have ZERO regrets (may shock some to hear that...)

I actually think my Chorus 1's sound better in my listening space. (& searched for Chorus 1's & did the mods so I could put em flush against the rear wall)

36 minutes ago, 4JaxJags said:

Thanks for the + review, & YES I'm still enjoying my Chorus 1's. I actually sold my La Scala's afterwards & have ZERO regrets (may shock some to hear that...)

I actually think my Chorus 1's sound better in my listening space. (& searched for Chorus 1's & did the mods so I could put em flush against the rear wall)

That is how I mostly positioned mine. I really liked turning them up. Yes, in the chest...

Think you did good and had alot of sound advice from your fellow members...cool 😎 

I mean, I tried it too so I don't really have that much room to talk but I would suggest erring on the side of trusting Klipsch... If they could have extended the freq response, without consequence, just by adding some cardboard tubes I think they would have?

I threw out everything after I was done playing around but what I remember was that while adding length extended the response it also decreased the output under something like 100Hz. Maybe if I played everything at concert level I wouldn't have noticed but at moderate levels it didn't sound right. 

Does any one who has done this mod have before and after data?

• 1 year later...