What's A Good Robot Vacuum?

Gilbert

This actually was not a joke. It comes with one but you can always get more.  I use mine to keep it out of my sun room.
Watched a couple of you tube video's. Seems the Neato is pretty popular, but needs to be cleaned regularly. Read about the virtual wall.

Guess I'll give it a try. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

There is no good " robot vacuum ".  

In my extensive direct experience, over three decades, there is no vacuum that uses a dry porous filter, on the face of this earth, that is worthwhile to own, or can ever possibly clean any home well. 

Why ??  They all do three bad things, (1)  they all stink, (2) they all leak dust out their exhaust, and (3) they ALL plug up their porous filters, losing their airflow and thus, losing their cleaning power. 

There are absolutely NO exceptions to these three design flaws, with any and every porous-filter-vacuum ever made !! 

There exists only one vacuum,  made by Rexair since 1936,  that can possibly clean a home well, and that one is beautifully-made and uses water as its main filter.  Its called a Rainbow SRX.

https://rainbowsystem.com/

Jeffrey Medwin 

Sounds like someone has sold rainbow vacuums door to door. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, joshnich said:

Sounds like someone has sold rainbow vacuums door to door. 

The battery on the one I got held a charge so that's a plus.   Now to hit the store and grab the swiffer crap and a couple C batteries for this Northstar cube.  Could  be a steal but kinda wondering how many "swiffers" it's gonna take.  lol  Have to nose in the manual and figure out how to do the invisible wall.  This cat should be funny or maybe not.

Are there golf balls and battery cables involved in using this thing?  Asking for a friend.

12 hours ago, grasshopper said:

hows that work, Carl?

IR beam?

I believe so.  You can set it two different ways.  One way projects a straight line that the robot won't cross.  The other way radiates a circle around the device that the robot won't enter.

I had friends who were selling the Rainbows... They also didn't like having to mess with the water. We use an inexpensive shark. I wash the foam filters about every six months, depending one whether or nor I had anything special to clean up in the house. At our old house, with full carpet, it pulled an amazing amount of dirt through the carpet. Very little carpet in the current house.

I remember Groomeslake.. used to set his shop vac in the middle of his house (will water in it) and let it rum for a couple of hours and then dump out all the mud and sand. But then, he lived in Florida...

Bruce

29 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

All dry porous filter vacuums will always (1) stink, (2) leak (3) and the pores will plug up, causing it to drastically lose its cleaning efficiency.

(1) wrong

(2) wrong again

(3) clean after use.  It's not that hard to understand, or I guess maybe it is.

Read the complaints about the company AND the vacuum cleaner in the link above.  PT Barnum would certainly endorse Rainbow products.

Vacuum cleaners are like speakers and electronics.  There's no one absolute.  Each type have their pluses and minuses.

• Like 2

RESEARCH COMPLETED

The D7 got the nod, and I'm sure Neato will pull the D8 out of the drawer in a few months.

I actually thought about the Rainbow, can't help myself, engineers' love efficient designs (sometimes w/o regards to costs :wacko:). The system appears to be a highly efficient dirt trap of a vacuum, that comes by necessity with a boat load of attachments,  enough attachments to fill the back of a utility vehicle or small pick-up. Thanks, but we're not a hospital and no one in our home has to live in an ultra clean, dustless environment.

With respect to the D7, which I ordered last night, and I assume the manufacturers of equal quality machines, comes with HEPA filters at the exhaust end. They claim the HEPA filters trap particles as small as 0.3 microns (0.000011811 inches). In considering all necessary factors and of course our needs and lifestyles (myself and the kids are very outdoorsy).... and the bosses opinion, who didn't give a crap and clings to her fabuloso....... I had to come to that all important decision and consider cost vs function vs ease of use vs convenience and storeagability.

For a relatively large home with multiple levels, and a wife that's not built like Arnold Schwarzenegger, the D7 got the nod based on multiple techy review sites. It was couple hundred off retail, but I still hope I don't get a lemon like some claim on the Amazon site.

Cheers, mission accomplished.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I actually thought about the Rainbow, can't help myself, engineers' love efficient designs (sometimes w/o regards to costs :wacko:). The system appears to be a highly efficient dirt trap of a vacuum, that comes by necessity with a boat load of attachments,  enough attachments to fill the back of a utility vehicle or small pick-up. Thanks, but we're not a hospital and no one in our home has to live in an ultra clean, dustless environment.

It's not a Robot either.  I'm currently at work and guess what's happening at my house right now?  It's being vacuumed.  When I get home tonight I'll dump the bin and blow the filter and housing out with compressed air.  It can't get much easier than that.  We also have a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner.  It's one of the biggest time savers I have.  I don't know why anyone would lug a conventional vacuum around your house of clean our pool the old way anymore.  It just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

We also have a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner.  It's one of the biggest time savers I have.  I don't know why anyone would lug a conventional vacuum around your house of clean our pool the old way anymore.  It just doesn't make sense.

I'm looking at going with the robotic vacuum for the house as well and I too have a Dolphin for the pool and agree that it's make life much better.  I do have a complaint about the pool vacuum,  the freaking company should have done a much better job marketing to me so I would have purchased one years earlier, so shame on them.  LOL

I do own filter queen equipment and have owner rainbow (both purchased used because the in home pitch number is really ridiculous) and they are both fine pieces, but the FQ is a more functional system IMO.  I'm really ok with retiring the FQ for general floor cleaning duties for certain.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I'm looking at going with the robotic vacuum for the house as well and I too have a Dolphin for the pool and agree that it's make life much better.  I do have a complaint about the pool vacuum,  the freaking company should have done a much better job marketing to me so I would have purchased one years earlier, so shame on them.  LOL

I do own filter queen equipment and have owner rainbow (both purchased used because the in home pitch number is really ridiculous) and they are both fine pieces, but the FQ is a more functional system IMO.  I'm really ok with retiring the FQ for general floor cleaning duties for certain.  

We have a Dyson for spot vacuuming and cleaning the sun room where we don't let the robot go.  It's amazing.  It'll trap the most minute bit of dust yet the only actual filters are on the exhaust side and they barely get dirty.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I recapped my vacuum cleaner and it works much better now.

Replace the power cord with a hospital grade one.  It's AMAZING.  Picks up more dirt, puts less dust in the air. compacts the dirt so you don't have to empty as often and uses less electricity.  You can believe me because I said so.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I had to come to that all important decision and consider cost vs function vs ease of use vs convenience and storeagability.

i’ve never considered any of those things regarding anything. Probably why my living room once housed 12 Klipsch speakers, a couple of guitars, an amp, a big screen tv, computer, slot machine, and a full-sized traffic signal light -- while my kitchen contained only a fridge full of beer, a bottle of Tabasco, and a bottle of ketchup; and the drawers & cupboards were empty (except for the short time that i owned a fork). 

Now ... since my brother moved in, there are dishes and stuff in the kitchen. I gave away most of the speakers ( i did put some Heresy I & II in storage leaving only Cornwalls in the living room); the slot machine and the traffic light remain ... just because they’re cool to have and will soon be joined by a functioning barber pole. Sometimes it’s nice to be single!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i’ve never considered any of those things regarding anything. Probably why my living room once housed 12 Klipsch speakers, a couple of guitars, an amp, a big screen tv, computer, slot machine, and a full-sized traffic signal light -- while my kitchen contained only a fridge full of beer, a bottle of Tabasco, and a bottle of ketchup; and the drawers & cupboards were empty (except for the short time that i owned a fork). 

There's a difference when purchasing things you crave vs things you need.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

There's a difference when purchasing things you crave vs things you need.

sometimes one needs to satisfy a craving. yes, i’m difficult, that’s why i’m single. 

All i NEED is my laptop, that’s it ... and a guitar ... and this toothbrush. that’s all i need ... and my slot machine, one day i’m going to hit the jackpot and I’ll be rolling in the dough. 

• Haha 2