Eminence LAB 12 Sub(s) ?

HPower

Yesterday I came across 4 used Eminence LAB 12  drivers that I ended up getting.

It's not that I needed them but at $400cnd for the quad, I figured, what the hey.

I first thought I might build 4 of Wayne Parham's 3Pi subs... they are a 20"x20"x20" box with a 4" round by 16" long port.

Then I did a little reading on the LAB12 and it seems they might be well suited to a horn loaded cabinet.

I already have one F20 sub and two Exodus Anarchy 6.5" 25hz tapped horn subs, that really work nicely,

so I do understand what horn sub base is all about.

Anybody with any experience with the LAB12s... Calling Carl, Claude, Jason ?

Those speakers were a favorite a few years ago over at DIYAUDIO, for use in the "tapped horn".

The cabinet must be designed for those woofers, but there is a very nice program that will help you (HORNRESP). Do NOT use a generic cabinet for the woofers in a tapped horn design and remember that the title, "tapped horn" is a bit of a misnomer. They are more of a transmission line design and do not share all of the advantages of a true compression loaded horn (although, for the bandwidth they can be conveniently sized). 

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

I have some lumber that's precut for a pair of LAB 12 Tapped Horns that are flat from 20-60 Hz. I have called them my "coffee table" subs, as designed by someone else. Nice buy, BTW. My flat packs are spoken for, but for a guy like you, this should be a super easy build. You just need to make sure you have speakers that can cross at 60 Hz. and your are all set to have the best low bass you ever had. Believe me.

You can't go wrong with 4 of those on the center of 4 walls, so once built, you will want to sell everything else you own, trust me on this.

LAB12THBotView.jpg

THLab12Oldsystem.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

LAB12THdim.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the suggestions so far!

I agree that the Tuba 60(s) would be killer subs, but the size of these B#ggers might be an issue for my room.

And my room is in the basement, which is a chore to lug big boxes down into.

My F20 was a struggle and then my Jub clones were a real B!t@h to get up and down the stairs, even with four guys!

Claude's plans look to be much more manageable to build and transport to the basement.

The multiple sub technique is also what Wayne Parham endorses, hence why I original thought of going with 4 of his 3Pi subs.

52 minutes ago, HPower said:

My memory is not what it should be, sucks getting old, but was the Spud and or Super Spud built around the LAB12 driver?

I did a google search, but I did not come up with plans for either of those.

I thought they were 10" drivers but my memory is about like yours.

46 minutes ago, HPower said:

...but was the Spud and or Super Spud built around the LAB12 driver?

The Spud uses dual 8" woofers.  The DIY version typically uses a Tang Band woofer--W8-740P (of which I just replaced four of these in the two DIY SPUDs in my listening room).  Here is the thread where the plans used to reside--before Photobucket unceremoniously pulled their own plug.  I'll post the relevant info below:

hornfolding.jpg.5c04156f87e0713283f30874b388ac82.jpg

1935274310_TH-SPUDedit.thumb.jpg.1bd2990f7106129bf48a0c70e6db24d8.jpg

THSPUD%20Rev4.pdf

1456496144_THSPUDHornrespInputParameters.png.2bdaf2aa49205bcd126efaf51633be3f.png

This could easily be expanded to accommodate the Lab 12s by increasing the thickness of the SPUD design and moving things around just a little in the driver area, being careful not to constrict the last bend in the horn before the mouth is encountered.  Hornresp simulation of the Lab 12s with the SPUD basic horn design could be used.

The reason why I put all this information up is because the pair of DIY Spuds in my room carry the frequency response from 31 Hz down to 13 Hz (-3 dB point)--without boosting EQ...  The only comment I'll make is to make sure that the horn paths are sealed up well around the drivers...

1804371024_RightJubileeanddualSPUDs--1mfromJubilee.thumb.jpg.99ef716e0093fc9e7340ef5d091956e0.jpg

Chris

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Those are fine for stage. For HT and music, I strongly recommend the JBL research of having 4 identical subs in wall centers as the ultimate setup. Todd Welti did his homework, that's for sure.

multsubs.pdf 814.86 kB · 1 download

If you want 4 huge subs the slim THTLP uses minimal floor space.

2x Tuba 60's would be total overkill anyways though you could do singles as well.

2 hours ago, HPower said:

The multiple sub technique is also what Wayne Parham endorses, hence why I original thought of going with 4 of his 3Pi subs.

4 is definitely the way to go if you can.  1 in the middle of each wall for smoothest coverage or one in each corner for best extension and output.  There's a harman white  paper on this as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jason str said:

If you want 4 huge subs the slim THTLP uses minimal floor space.

2x Tuba 60's would be total overkill anyways though you could do singles as well.

So are you saying the slim THTLP could be made with the LAB12 drivers?