The Klipsch Audio Community
7heavenlyplaces

Smoking up some jerky but...

it has a distinctive acrid taste, what to do???   What smoking recipe do you use for beef and also for salmon which is successful?  the whole result is elusive to me.

Well describe your smoker and what you are burning and where is the fire?

That taste is usually a sign of too much smoke.  When smoking thin items such as chilis or jerky the natural flavor of the charcoal (natural lump) or the wood coals if using wood is enough.  There is no need to add additional smoke.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That taste is usually a sign of too much smoke.  When smoking thin items such as chilis or jerky the natural flavor of the charcoal (natural lump) or the wood coals if using wood is enough.  There is no need to add additional smoke.

Too much smoke is right and that's why I was asking about  his set up. Best I have ever seen is a drop fire box and no burning anything directly under what is being smoked.

it has a distinctive acrid taste, what to do???   What smoking recipe do you use for beef and also for salmon which is successful?  the whole result is elusive to me.

In addition to some top quality dehydrators, Lem's also has recipes for jerky, sausage, etc. etc. 

Good source of info. Unfortunately, you dont always get the one you'll love on the first try. Practice, practice, practice.

I have a couple of hardcore friends that built smoke shacks, and cure the meat with continually smoking alder and other types of wood. That method is a bit too much for me. but they do make some darn good jerky.

I'm getting to be an old dog, and the Lem's dehydrators can turn out some first class jerky, once you get your recipes down. I like to soak mine with soy sauce for the salt, but I also try other stuff too.

I'll be preparing some Axis venison this weekend. Using the back straps and tenderloins. They are some tasty critters.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So you are correct in that the acrid is from too much smoke.  This smoker uses a stainless pan with (in this case) dampened hickory chips just above the electric burner.  I allowed this batch to smoke for 2 hours when it should have been, like, 30 minutes. Also, the marinade had smoke flavor and some vinegar flavor in it! Super duper flavorful in a bad way...way too much. This'll take more practice but now I have a clue, thanks!

Funny story: The very first batch I ever made (the one before this) I marinated for like 3 days and super smoked it. First bite it was OK-for the first minute.  Funny thing was that the flavor got stronger the longer you chewed, stronger and more powerful the longer it went on (like double-salted licorice) until it was positively biting back.  The choice became to  either swallow at your own peril or spit it out.  It was pretty tough also, tougher than shoe leather, literally. Tried to give away 20 pounds of it but no one would take it--except my sister in law---she LOVED it, said "It's like getting the whole camping experience, smoke, taste and wild game in 5 minutes without leaving the living room" ...she asked for more bless her heart!

Another question (or two) though:

Is raw meat more prone  to taking on  natural-wood-chip-smoke-flavor at the raw stage moreso than after it has been cooked (like 2-3 hours)?  What's this blue smoke thing about, heat or dryness?

I own Weber grills and a $$$ Rectec pellet grill.
I make beef jerky using Wally World best lean hamburger meat (93-96%) using a Nesco dehydrator kit. I can supply the house, my son's college apt and sell to at work at a 100% profit  

• Like 1

I use a very simple process

Buy some thinly sliced beef cut it into the strip size of your choice

I lay the jerky strips on a cookie sheet/oven pan, I use a brush and slop on a bit of maple syrup just a wee bit so the meat church will "stick" to the meat, sprinkle some "Meat Church" by Holy Cow seasoning front and back of each slice.

I use a Trager pellet smoker with mesquite pellets, 1 hr on smoke setting then 1 hr on 250 sometimes less sometimes more just depends on the cut of meat

When cooked I grab a Ziploc bag and stuff the strips of goodness in it and then into the deep freeze with the zip lock bag top left open.

In two weeks I remove the fully dehydrated meat

Taste good with minimal effort and no need (at least for me) to buy a dehydrator when I have a freezer to do it for me. I work a 14 on 14 off schedule so I do this right before I'm headed to work that way when I return in 14 days it's ready to be enjoyed with a cold beer.

• Like 1

The Above could be used for venison jerky as well.. cool

On 12/13/2019 at 6:56 PM, USNRET said:

I own Weber grills and a $$$ Rectec pellet grill.
I make beef jerky using Wally World best lean hamburger meat (93-96%) using a Nesco dehydrator kit. I can supply the house, my son's college apt and sell to at work at a 100% profit  

Thank you for sharing this experience and understanding: financial income is also  part of my interested pursuit here. I am sure that the product MUST be really  good before it be sold though. Might  your 100 percent profit include time and labor? Apologies if I am asking too much, feel free not to answer!

There are some really good responses from you and thank you!!!! 

More to come...stay tuned, thank you for your input!