PC SAVY Folks here, Advice needed

joessportster

I was wondering when Linux would get mentioned...  Headless, no hoops to jump through there.  And the price is right.  In terms of reliability it'd be worth the cost even if it were double that of a Windows Server license.

Except for the anti-greenness of it, an old Pentium 100 box could handily serve up music to many clients simultaneously so no serious hardware need apply.

• Like 2

Our company is about 70% linux, out of about 350 PCs. The rest are Windows 10. We have quite a number running headless. Easy to ssh into through terminal to change configurations.

We use Mint, still on vers. 18.3. Performance is far better than Windows.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ron E said:

Yup, no bloated OS with Linux. Also if you have not tried Linux lately... it is a very smooth install, and pretty easy

to install media players, free, and rock solid too

Perhaps from a user's point of view that's true, but from a developer's point of view, it's an ungodly mess.

Ever hear the joke about how a camel is a horse designed by committee? That what Linux is as an operating environment.

IMHO; YMMV; "6, 2, and even, over and out".

Perhaps from a user's point of view that's true, but from a developer's point of view, it's an ungodly mess.

Ever hear the joke about how a camel is a horse designed by committee? That what Linux is as an operating environment.

I will take Linux anyday of the week over Windows. Windows is the worst OS ever IMO. So glad I went back to Linux.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Edgar said:

It isn't a users dream either. 77% of the desktop and laptop computers in the world run a windows based OS. Linux accounts for < 2%. And Linux is free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/forget-linux-use-windows/

• Like 1

Sure, but when you compare computers Linux is way more common than windows. Linux runs on appliances, servers, cars, and almost everything you use daily, and does not sell your info either. Read the Eula and you will see that Microsoft is leasing Windows to you and retains the rights to anything that is on your PC.

Here are the stats on all the other uses besides desktops.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-market-share/

If you want a media server there is no way Windows is as good as Linux is for home use. You do not need a fast computer, OS is free, and runs rock stable. Microsoft is now telling everyone they have to leave earlier versions because they want everyone on Windows 10...what they do not want to accept is that the windows 7 users want nothing to do with windows 10, and its info stealing software.

If you are ok with them taking your info and selling it, that it's you decision.. I am not, and will not return after running Windows since the first version of Windows.

Linux is starting to make headway against MS in some places but program compatibility is MS's ace in the hole. Not one other system comes close. In my world of CAD and CAM programs you can get things for Apple and Linux at times but mostly they are not full featured and are there mainly as a sop to those who wish the could use those programs on Apple and Linux.

Maybe Linux is better now but I seem to remember all the tinkering these Linux guys have to do to make things work and I want no part of it. Win 10 has gone a long way towards making people mad though and this new style update cycle has alienated a LOT of companies. Never get homeowner Win 10 always get Win Professional and you can delay updates for up to a half year and set schedules for when the installs happen.

• Like 2

I here ya Dave. It has def gotten considerably better since the 90s. If you want to use it as a media player it is def the way to go. If you want to use Photoshop...you have to use VM and then get a faster processor...or use Gimp. I am tired of MS, and I am using every option I can to avoid them as much as possible. My HA Software currently is only using win 7 or newer software, but he is talking of writing it for Linux now too. Once he does I will be gone on every front with MS. I have used JRiver for audio for years, but it would always crash after a week or 2 with Windows, so when I saw it worked with Linux... I gave it a shot, and I could not be happier. Now you do have to buy the linux version of JRiver, but if you already have the Mac or Windows version you can pay a small fee to upgrade to the master version of JRiver. I think I paid $29 to upgrade to version 26 from version 24, and also got the master version. As of right now I am very happy with the Linux version, and I have had zero crashes or problems with JRiver. I had always read how everyone lived JRiver, and now that mi e is working so nicely... I know why. BTW they even have room tune and crossover built in.

6 hours ago, joessportster said:

Who has a link to a CURRENT SMOOTH INSTALL version of linux

HTTP://WWW.Ubuntu.com

I suppose that's correct, I just "typed" it in.  Totally "plug and play" in my last many experiences.  Fetch the most recent "LTS" image, "burn" it to a thumb drive, boot it and run it from there as a trial without changing anything on your computer.  If (when) you like it, you can shrink the Windows installation, install Linux alongside it, and choose which you want to use next time you reboot.

If you've got hard drives with platters, move the Windows to the tail (slower) end because you'll rarely use it.

The only thing I've "personally" used MS Windows (98) for, since 3.11 was current, is in a vm to use the manufacturer's software necessary for the interface to program the ECM on my Harley.

• Like 1

Don't know about the on-line banking but would be very hesitant to use a bank that used Windows for that on their hardware.  The tax software is for folks that, when buying a PC they would run it on, have but one choice 99.999% of the time which operating system it comes with, and that is based not on technical or security merit, but purely on the marketing practices of a man who was born a millionaire, and has been quoted as saying his biggest competitor is his installed user base.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, polizzio said:

It isn't a users dream either. 77% of the desktop and laptop computers in the world run a windows based OS. Linux accounts for < 2%. And Linux is free.

From the get go Microsoft almost gave away their OS to PC vendors, with restrictions on shipping anything else. Windows is far more deeply embedded her in the U.S., while Linux has made great inroads in Europe, Asia and South America.

As to the financial systems, almost all ATMs used to run on IBM's OS/2..

On 12/15/2019 at 6:04 PM, glens said:
On 12/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, joessportster said:

Who has a link to a CURRENT SMOOTH INSTALL version of linux

HTTP://WWW.Ubuntu.com

I would jump to Linux Mint, as line goes from Debian > Ubuntu > Mint

They have three versions: Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE. For most desktop users I would use Cinnamon or MATE. Cinnamon is going to give you a look and layout very close to Windows 7. We actually use MATE, and most of our employees don't even realize it isn't MS Windows.

Also, I understand Greg not liking the development on Linux, but MS Windows and all of their applications have been designed by committee and various programmers fighting for their own bits of programs to be put into releases. I find some things about the new version of Windows to be exceptional, but I don't like the new business model. Soon, they will probably be totally based on a subscription model.

Bruce

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Also, I understand Greg not liking the development on Linux, but MS Windows and all of their applications have been designed by committee and various programmers fighting for their own bits of programs to be put into releases. I find some things about the new version of Windows to be exceptional, but I don't like the new business model. Soon, they will probably be totally based on a subscription model.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm no lover of Microsoft. But I also don't find Linux to be a viable alternative. And as you said, Microsoft's business practices are making it more and more unattractive to more and more people all the time.

• Like 1

I resorted to a MiniMac since the minidin connection doubles as a mini toslink so with the right cable I went straight to my EAD DAC from my Mac. I just have a 4tb raided harddrive attached. I use bitperfect for most listening. I was surprised how well it all works.

• Like 1

I'm currently running Win10 and JRiver. I have tried, and eventually want to go to Linux.  I have used Daphile, which was super easy to install, but it is not open source.  I also tried, and really liked, Snake-oil OS.  It allows you to use many Linux based players.  I am not currently using it since it had one issue when rebooting with my particular hardware and have not had the time to fix it. 

My goal is to go to a Linux based headless music player on all SSD drives.  Super fast boot times and no bloat on the OS.

• Like 1