WTB: Your pre-pro or AVR w/pre-outs

wvu80

I figured some of you guys have stuff in the closet you don't use any more, or about to pick up newer gear and have something you no longer need, even though you are not actively looking for a buyer.  I know how that is because that's how I got a bunch of older receivers I no longer use.  Nothing wrong with them, I've just moved on.

Leader in the Clubhouse:  There is a Denon 4400 (IT'S THE 4000) I'm looking at for $300.  I'd rather give my money to one of you guys.  I'd like to keep the upper part of the budget around $600.  @teaman is my usual consultant and I'm expanding the circle to see if any Forum members have something they'd like to sell.

If there's a reason I should NOT get the Denon 4400 (IT'S THE 4000) , please let me know.  I don't know much about them. 

The Reason I need something is that my Onkyo TX NR717 finally bit the dust.  It has been 100% reliable since 2014, until it wasn't.  I think it was the dreaded HDMI daughter board problem that was well known.  I have power but I can't switch to any source, there is no sound. I was using it as a pre-pro with an Emotiva XPA-5, 200 wpc.  It powered my CF-4's and an MTM center speaker in the Man Cave via computer.

My computer room setup is modest, it's not dialed in like my living room setup is.  I could use a good sounding AVR, I don't care about internal power as I would use it as a pre-pro.

OR I could also use a good sounding pre-pro.  I don't need 4K pass through, mostly the ability to run 3.1 or 5.1 via the XPA-5.  I do need HDMI.  I don't know anything about dedicated pre-pros.

What have you got?  What are your recommendations?

(and if you'd like to keep things off-the-air feel free to send me a PM)

I have a Marantz SR5012 that is sitting on the sidelines right now (original owner, box and everything it came with, perfect condition). I took it out of my 5.1.2 system to try out a newer model (2018) Denon AVR-X3500H. Truthfully, I can't really say which one I like the best since they both sound great with my Klipsch speakers, but each has its own strong points. If you don't find the deal of a lifetime 😂 elsewhere, then as a last resort we can potentially discuss things via PM since I probably should move one out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buck115 said:

then as a last resort we can potentially discuss things via PM since I probably should move one out.

We can do a wait-and-see so take your time to evaluate the Denon.  I'm in no great hurry, making due with the TV speakers and some cheap headphones for the computer. 

I have the Marantz 6011 in my living room setup and like it a lot.  Do you know if your 5012 has the same DAC?  I'd like to get the same sound quality.  I could do with less AVR power because of the XPA-5 I will tie-in.

@wvu80 Sorry, I can't answer your question regarding the DACs with any certainty since the SR6011 was a one year earlier model than the SR5012 and is a 9.2 AVR where the SR5012 is a 7.2 AVR. I suspect the SR5012 DACs were updated, but can't say for certain. I did try an SR6012, but didn't need the extra amplifiers and the SR5012 I replaced it with had the same sound quality in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buck115 said:

Sorry, I can't answer your question regarding the DACs with any certainty since the SR6011 was a one year earlier model than the SR5012

I've found it's really hard to find that sort of technical information.  The way those companies market and make their AVR's you never know exactly what differences there are from model to model.

I know the 5012 has a few less amps and wpc than my 6011 but even with my 6011 and its 9 amps I still only use 5.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:39 PM, wvu80 said:

There is a Denon 4400 I'm looking at for $300

This is what I would recommend you go with. No need to look any further. Why downgrade from there? The price is more than right. I paid $800 for mine even though the MSRP was $1499. I have seen nothing develop in the past 2 years to justify the newer models existence. A Marantz SR6012 will cost you $650 and will provide very little difference if any at all. Just make sure pay for and use the Audyssey editor app. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 314carpenter said:
On 12/13/2019 at 4:39 PM, wvu80 said:

There is a Denon 4400 I'm looking at for $300

This is what I would recommend you go with.

I didn't read the ad correctly, the Seller has a Denon 4000 AND THEN he bought a 4400.  It is the 4000 which is for sale and I'm going to pass on it.

+++

Thanks to you who sent me some models to consider "off-the-air".  I haven't ruled anything out yet.

I'd like to see what's out there in a pre-pro.  I already have an Emo XPA-5 amp.  I see very few pre-pros for sale out there that are of recent vintage.