Full circle

newriverrat

Way back in time, there was this young hillbilly that was completely obsessed with listening to music. He attended a party (circa 1977 or '78) where the tunes were being played on a Harman/Kardon 730. Impressed, he went and bought a H/K 430 and loved it for about 10 years. Then the bug bit and he went through all kinds of separate components. The 430 got lost in the crawlspace of his mind.

Now he's an old hillbilly that has regaled himself to simplifying his equipment to a few components. A set of RF 3's, a Fluance RT 85, and added yesterday, a dreamy vision from the past. A beautiful, one owner H/K 730. Near mint, unmolested. He spent the day connecting and bi-wiring, then spent his evening listening and being transported. Some days it's good to be him....

hk 730 (1).JPG

hk 730 (12).JPG

• Like 10

1 hour ago, newriverrat said:

I'm debating on starting a gofundme page for that....🙄

Where are you located?  Members here can recommend reputable service people.

You're looking at $200 to $300 for that.  Well worth it to get the unit performing for another 20-30 years.

• Like 1

Regardless of how nice it looks, I highly recommend you have the unit serviced and re-capped.  It is definitely due for an update.  Nice Marantz by the way!

Thanks@jimjimbo! I had that Marantz serviced by our friend at Stereo Rehab. Funny thing is I also took in my HK 430, and he said he didn’t want to take my money because it wasn’t a quality enough receiver to spend the $$ updating. I disagreed, but didn’t argue, so I took it back and will look to update both the 430 and 730 someplace else that won’t cost as much.

Well dang, if you got to be stuck up a holler, coal dust raining down on your head, drunken dear hunters drilling holes through the cabin, not to mention wild turkeys crappin on your truck, then you should have a source of succor and relaxation. Silver-faced HK and Klipsch?  Sounds like you traded in Muhlenberg County for "almost heaven".

Congrats and welcome to the Forum.

Well, although our friend can be a bit eccentric, I don't know many other places that will do the quality work that he does.  He's done other pieces for me that I know he didn't really want to work on, but he did a great job and was reasonable.
I was just there yesterday.....first time at his new location. Pretty cool. Much bigger than the old location.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 12/14/2019 at 3:59 AM, newriverrat said:

Way back in time, there was this young hillbilly that was completely obsessed with listening to music. He attended a party (circa 1977 or '78) where the tunes were being played on a Harman/Kardon 730. Impressed, he went and bought a H/K 430 and loved it for about 10 years.

That hillbilly was right, that line of HK's sound great. I only have one the 930, it will eventually be updated instead of getting rid if it, it just sounds amazing. The only slight problem is it has is the speaker wire connections on the back is slightly loose, but new caps would also help. 

• Like 1