Miyabi Japanese Knives

willland

11 hours ago, moray james said:

If you have a block made from bamboo as in this knife set make sure you learn by habit to insert and withdraw the knife from the block while placing pressure on the spine of the knife and not on the blade edge otherwise yu will be dulling your knives every time you use them.

A couple years ago, I started inserting my knives with the spine down and blade edge up. Works for me...

• Like 1

@dwilawyer try to find a store that lets you use the knife before purchase. Here we have a Japanese knife store that runs cutting classes so my wife was able to try a number of different Japanese knives and determined which line worked best for her, I like them very much too. Actually using the knife is more important than the steel etc, at least to me. It has to feel good in your hand,in use on different kinds of food, prep and carving.  Same store offered sharpening lessons which I took. 

We have a set of 35 year old Henkel classics with wooden handles and two Masakage Kiri knives. The Henckels have been very good never skipped a beat, still hold a good edge, but the Japanese knives feel better in use and are sharper. Good luck with the knife purchase.

Anthony Bourdain said a chef only needs one knife... but he had a Bob Kramer chef’s knife.

• Like 3

I’ve got several Miyabi knives. They are fantastic knives. Razor sharp, durable. Their knives come in different quality levels. The ones that have the Damascus blades are the best. But even their lower end knives are great. Shun are good too, most not as pricey. Sur La Tablé stores let you try them out. Warning: you’ll be ruined, for lesser knives. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, MC39693 said:

try to find a store that lets you use the knife before purchase. Here we have a Japanese knife store that runs cutting classes so my wife was able to try a number of different Japanese knives and determined which line worked best for her, I like them very much too

I think all we may have is Williams-Sonoma but will look around what might be available in Central Texas

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Marvel said:

A couple years ago, I started inserting my knives with the spine down and blade edge up. Works for me...

Tried that, people kept.turning them the "right way" when I wasn't looking..On some of these I would get the matching saya/sheeth so I can put them away (hide them).

• Moderators
22 hours ago, moray james said:

Spyderco Endura with a very high tech ultra high carbon stainless Japanese blade steel called ZDP-189 it is hardened to and astounding Rockwell hardness of RHC64 ( that's harder than a file) VG10 is usually hardened to between 56 - 59 RHC most often in a kitchen blade it will be around the 56 range to make it easier to sharpen. Even with my ZDP-189 I still touch up the edge on my

Looks like all the Spyderco ZDP-189 are all gone.

I found a couple of others in that steel, and talking with them this week. 

Travis

I used to be a jobber for Eye Brand knives, mostly as a hobby and to earn extra cash selling at Thanksgiving and Christmas in malls. In the 1970s, their pocketknife variations numbered in the hundreds. They were my first quality kitchen knives- heavy full tang 440 stainless. All of them are still in great condition. Most of my kitchen knives are Henckels or Wusthof. I use a Gougiri sometimes, too. Of the thirty or more that I can use, my favorites are the Wusthof Le Cordon Bleu.

SSH 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Looks like all the Spyderco ZDP-189 are all gone.

I found a couple of others in that steel, and talking with them this week. 

Travis

I think if you look you will find the ZDP-189 on the used market. If you want the ultimate steel in edge retention buy a Spyderco in Maxamet this is my favorite steel period. Easy to sharpen with a diamond stone and almost as hard as tungsten.

@dwilawyer

MAC has discontinued the sharpening service at their USA location in CA from 1-1.

Not that I've used it yet after five or six years. Honing and a rollsharp specific for the Japanese angle and my steak- utility knives still will glide through a tomato without force being used.

Tojiro anybody!

• Like 1

Around 10 years ago or so, I bought my girlfriend this knife from Mac,  the website i bought it from made a statement at the time, that it had the 3rd sharpest edge on the planet.  A pretty bold statement, which of course I could not verify, though it was enough to get it. It did have a very fine sharp edge and stayed sharp too.  It was a good size for her wee hand as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Knife-SK-65-Superior-Santoku/dp/B0006MM4RE/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=mac+knife&qid=1589805031&sr=8-6 

13 hours ago, MC39693 said:

Anthony Bourdain said a chef only needs one knife... but he had a Bob Kramer chef’s knife.

Yeah, if cash was flowing I would have a set of Kramer Euroline Damascus.

Kramer by Zwilling Stainless Damascus 7 Piece Knife Block Set

Or even the Kramer Meiji would do.

Kramer by Zwilling Meiji 7 Piece Knife Block Set

Bill

• Like 1

Those are very nice knives. The one Anthony Bourdain had was a one of a kind knife made from meteorite  iron. This knives went for about $5,000 IIRC. I believe the knife, along with other items was auctioned off after his very unfortunate passing.

• Like 1