Miyabi Japanese Knives

willland

• 2 weeks later...

I have not tried the Myabi knives. But I am a huge fan of Japanese knives. I have a set of Shun premier knives that are the best I have ever used. Never really sure why I have a set! I tend to just use one knife. The Japanese  version of the chefs knife. I can pretty much do most everything with the one blade. 

• Like 2

Not a Miyabi but it's parent company, I picked up a wonderful Zwilling Pro 7" chef's knife(msrp $162.50) at Bed Bath and Beyond for $49.99 - 20% coupon = $42.79 with tax.  A rocking deal for such a high quality knife.  

image.jpeg.9a4d79b867bfe4f79b492e5441dc6be6.jpeg

I saw it on clearance on https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-pro-7-inch-chefs-knife-38401-182/38401-182-0.html  had to have it because I wanted a high quality durable everyday knife that can take some abuse so I put it in my shopping cart to purchase.  Went to BB&B on New Years Eve to get my 90 year old mom a microwave bacon cooker tray and low an behold, they had the same knife for $49.99 and it was the last one in stock.  I quickly downloaded a 20% off coupon and brought that baby home.

Anyone looking for a high quality made in Germany forged chef's knife with a half bolster, I suggest you get one.  I know the usual sizes for chef's knives are 6", 8", 10", I find this compromised size of 7" is a really nice fit.

Bill

We mainly have Victorinox, JA Henckels, and for a very good cheaper knife the Rada brand is not bad. My favorite knife though I ever used was a butcher knife my gramps made out of a file. I don't  have it but my sister does. Victorinox are very very good! I usually pick up a few kitchen knives when we go to smokey mountain knife works. Last one was this.  Its for my briskets!

31X5v1pSRPL.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

Bill -- beautiful set ,  great cooking - --second observation , knives sold as a set is pure marketing  -now , which is the best in the set you liked , that is the only knife you need -

You are right about the marketing thing because most will only use one of the pairing knives and one of the chef's knives and occasionally a bread and slicing knife.  The other 3 or four in the block will most likely collect dust.  Most blocks also include a sharpening steal and shears and they usually are not of the same quality as the knives.  With the Miyabi set I got, the sharpening steal is made in Germany and the block and shears from China but seem of decent quality.

Bill

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
On 12/28/2019 at 2:23 AM, joshnich said:

I have not tried the Myabi knives. But I am a huge fan of Japanese knives. I have a set of Shun premier knives that are the best I have ever used. Never really sure why I have a set! I tend to just use one knife. The Japanese  version of the chefs knife. I can pretty much do most everything with the one blade. 

How are those holding up?

I'm in the market.

• Moderators
On 1/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, willland said:

You are right about the marketing thing because most will only use one of the pairing knives and one of the chef's knives and occasionally a bread and slicing knife.  The other 3 or four in the block will most likely collect dust.  Most blocks also include a sharpening steal and shears and they usually are not of the same quality as the knives.  With the Miyabi set I got, the sharpening steal is made in Germany and the block and shears from China but seem of decent quality.

Bill

How is your Miyabi set holding up?

4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

just a comment. VG10 is a very good Japanese stainless which has decent edge retention but which is harder to sharpen than a high carbon steel would be. Better edge retention is nice but all steel will dull no matter how good the edge retention is and you will then have to sharpen it. The easier a steel is to sharpen the faster you are able to use the knife again. Most butchers use high carbon steel because it is easy and fast to restore the edge as frequently as required with a few strokes on a ceramic sharpening rod will do. I am not referring to a sharpening steel and don't want to get into steels verses stones. Easier and faster to sharpen is far more important than super stainless but harder to sharpen steel in the kitchen for most folks at least. If you are good at sharpening and don't mind doing it then the choice of steel does not really matter so long as it is not a chippy steel as bones are very hard. A good American steel choice (when hardened and properly tempered) is 1095 which is very tough, it takes a wicked edge and is very easy/quick to sharpen.

I have a half dozen pocket knives in VG10 it is similar in performance to American made 154CM but the 154CM is to me a little easier to sharpen than VG10 but otherwise they are very similar. Carpenter who make 154CM also make a superior version CPM154 which is a powder steel version with a very much finer grain structure. Unless you are doing a lot of prep work with bones for a meal if you start with equally sharp blades any good steel will do a fine job and you are not going to notice much if any difference in edge retention over the time you prep your food. My primary food prep knife is a Spyderco Endura with a very high tech ultra high carbon stainless Japanese blade steel called ZDP-189 it is hardened to and astounding Rockwell hardness of RHC64 ( that's harder than a file) VG10 is usually hardened to between 56 - 59 RHC most often in a kitchen blade it will be around the 56 range to make it easier to sharpen. Even with my ZDP-189 I still touch up the edge on my Endura every 3 to 4th meal at which point it is noticeably going dull but still has a decent working edge though not up to a ripe tomato. The ZDP calls for ceramic stones or diamond ones due to it's very high hardness. Wooden cutting boards are the most edge friendly that you can use and glass ceramic or nylon are the worst for dulling blades. I hope that this info is of interest and use.

We have not touched upon blade design and Japanese blade design for kitchen use is very different from European designs. I don't know enough to make meaningful comments but from those I have asked I get the impression that Japanese knife makers knows a thing or two about kitchen knife design. Hope you enjoy what ever knives you purchase. I have made the effort to learn how to hand sharpen and look at it as a form of Zen exercise that soothes my mind providing some focus to the task and it helps to make my food prep a little easier and safer.

one last comment  is that bamboo is also very hard of steel edges and is NOT a good option for a cutting board. If you have a block made from bamboo as in this knife set make sure you learn by habit to insert and withdraw the knife from the block while placing pressure on the spine of the knife and not on the blade edge otherwise yu will be dulling your knives every time you use them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I like them very much.  If you get a block set, get the smallest set available which is usually 7 knives, shears, steel, and block.

What I do like better for everyday use is my Zwilling Pro 7" chef's knife(msrp $162.50) and 4" pairing knife.  I really only bought these because around Christmas/New Year's the 7" was available at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for the crazy price of $49.99 - 20%.  I recently bought a 6 slot narrow block specifically for the Zwilling Pro knives which fit the curved bolsters.  

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro 7 Piece Slim Knife Block Set

Let me suggest this also if you go German and minimal.  These truthfully will be all you will ever need.

ZWILLING Pro, 7-pc Knife Set With Bamboo Magnetic Easel block

After I settled in with my knives, I kind of had a cutting board "obsession".  I have 5 now, 1 teak edge grain, 2 teak end grain, 1 small mixed species edge grain, and 1 larch wood end grain.  I actually use them all for different purposes.  All are soft enough to not dull your blades prematurely.

Bill

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I'm in the market.

For Japanese or German knives?

Decide what type and budget and go from there.  Many great deals out there as well as high quality brands.

Here are a few stores to consider.  All have great deals very often.  Or you could buy direct from some of the mfr's which also have good deals.

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/category/kitchen/knives-cutlery/10519/

https://www.surlatable.com/products/knives/brands/

Bill

• Thanks 1