Bar 48 Subwoofer disconnect

rjcksn

The idea to share with others is that if you do exchange the BAR plus sub unit, to be sure and get one of the more recent models because they have the newer electronics inside which has fixed several of the know problems (esp the sub woofer power-cycle pairing problem). As previously noted, the later serial number BAR's have the sub fix, but other issues such as the low volume on the surround speakers may or not be fixed with firmware alone. You may have to wait for Klipsch to issue a "fix" (make sure you have submitted a case with customer support) or return the surround speakers for a refund.

Overall, a very disappointing customer experience for many customers with this Klipsch product.

Melting735, my Surround 3 speakers volume is too low, also. I've exchanged with new replacements both the S3 speakers and the BAR 48, updated to current firmware v23 (12/13/2019), adjusted the "Surround" volume, twiddled with the HDMI input, the Optical input and the Bluetooth inputs. The S3 speakers are always too low in volume. I waited 24 days for a ridiculous response from Klipsch technical support and was told to update the firmware. I replied they need to fix their product. I've posted about it here:

Edited by DaleG

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody done the firmware update using a flash drive larger than 8gb? Was it successful? I've been having the same sub connection problem for a while now and would like to update the firmware ASAP, but I don't feel like buying another flash drive when I already have a perfectly good 32gb one.

Edited by BryanRolli

Depends on the firmware spec set by the manufacturer. An 8 Gig USB flash drive only costs about $3 today. Did you try using the 32 G drive? Did the firmware load and all of the LEDs flash just as they said they would in the update instructions. If so, you did it correctly. If not, the drive may be to big OR an error was made during the firmware update process.

Based on the past few months of data, most of the sub power-cycle problems appear to be hardware related (early production units, which now flood the market) so not "fixable" with just the firmware update. Replacement is the only solution. If you have not done so, return for a refund/exchange or try a warranty claim through Klipsch.

I have a 32 GB thumb drive that worked OK fully format. Read step 2 again on the Klipsch / firmware page:
"2. Unzip the file folder and move the “app.bin” file to an empty USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32 and is 8GB or less in size "
The wording says *formatted* to 8GB or less. It does not say total capacity of 8 GB or less.

BTW, I came up with some indirect ways of telling whether the update succeeded. When the firmware update finishes successfuly, the device reboots and three white volume LEDs are on on the front, above the colored source LED in front, so before the firmware update, I changed the volume to something else, such as 2 white volume LEDs. Also, I changed the subwoofer volume to drop below the default one white LED, and you can do the same for the Surround 3 speaker volume. Also, Bluetooth pairing is lost I believe (not sure as BT didn't worked on two of three BAR 48s I had). When the firmware update finishes, all these settings go back to default.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

V83.a FW update fixed my subwoofer connection issue as described by many of you above. I probably have a later SN, as I just bought this a couple weeks ago, but the sub was virtually unusable. Now, it reconnects every time I turn the TV on. I am using HDMI out from my TV to the Soundbar 48. Also, the instructions on their web page, as well as the BAR 48 FW Upgrade Video show the unzip and easy steps to complete it. Mine went exactly as described.

Edited by Tahonian
Updated with FW instructions reference

11 minutes ago, Tahonian said:

V83.a FW update fixed my subwoofer connection issue as described by many of you above. 

@Tahonian

I'm glad that helped. The fact that you only purchased your unit a couple of weeks ago tells me that there is still a lot old stock in vendor's current inventory.

I have reported a dozen issues to Klipsch tech support since I installed the latest firmware so don't be surprised when you encounter new issues yourself. Klipsch has provided no information at all regarding when newer firmware might become available and will not comment about the progress (or lack thereof) they are making on the issues I have reported.

We deserve better!

I just purchased the klipsch bar 48 from bestbuy the sub will not work the light stays blue tried to reconnect and pair the light on the back of the sub never flashes i tried the firmware upgrade that didn't work very frustrating has anyone had this issue and was there a fix for it just bought it todat

This has been covered before. Please review the previous posts for more information.

Summary: If the BAR 48 still does not work after you have followed the instructions provided by Klipsch and installed the latest firmware, then the hardware is defective (Best Buy also has plenty of old stock too). You will need to return it for a new one or refund.

• "Based on the past few months of data, most of the sub power-cycle problems appear to be hardware related (early production units, which now flood the market) so not "fixable" with just the firmware update. Replacement is the only solution. If you have not done so, return for a refund/exchange or try a warranty claim through Klipsch." (* or the seller you purchased it from).

17 hours ago, cjhaines1972 said:

I just purchased the klipsch bar 48 from bestbuy the sub will not work the light stays blue tried to reconnect and pair the light on the back of the sub never flashes i tried the firmware upgrade that didn't work very frustrating has anyone had this issue and was there a fix for it just bought it todat

@cjhaines1972

Read through this thread to get a sense of what you are facing:

BAR 48 Surround volume at max but can barely hear them

I bought a bar 48 from a reseller, and had the subwoofer connectivity issue right off the bat. I tried a firmware update and it must have failed because I can no longer even power on the sound bar. It's got serial number 106655719240313, so by the sounds of it is one of the early production bars. Any idea how to "unbrick" the soundbar?

1 hour ago, Srhigson said:

I bought a bar 48 from a reseller, and had the subwoofer connectivity issue right off the bat. I tried a firmware update and it must have failed because I can no longer even power on the sound bar. It's got serial number 106655719240313, so by the sounds of it is one of the early production bars. Any idea how to "unbrick" the soundbar?

@Srhigson

Please see my response here:

Bar 48 fail to power on after firmware update

46 minutes ago, KevinB said:

@Srhigson

Please see my response here:

Bar 48 fail to power on after firmware update

Thanks. I tried to reinstall the firmware, without being able to turn on, it won't even start the install process. I know there's power to the soundbar because the lights on my usb are lit up indicating it's receiving some from the bar itself. 

2 hours ago, Srhigson said:

Thanks. I tried to reinstall the firmware, without being able to turn on, it won't even start the install process. I know there's power to the soundbar because the lights on my usb are lit up indicating it's receiving some from the bar itself. 

@Srhigson

At this point you have two options:

1. Return your unit to your reseller for a replacement (different brand recommended) or a refund.
  2. REGISTER YOUR KLIPSCH PRODUCT then open a Klipsch PRODUCT SUPPORT request and report your issues.

Hi all, 

I have the similar issue that my subwoofer compares from the sound bar. I have to unplug the subwoofer and plug it back with the power cord in order for it to pair with the sub woofer. I went online and tried to download the latest firmware but I’m getting a message which says: unable to expand “app bin” it is an unsupported format.

I don’t know how to fix this issue it is very annoying to keep unplugging my subwoofer from the power cord.  
Please help. 

12 hours ago, Ivan Larios said:

Hi all, 

I went online and tried to download the latest firmware but I’m getting a message which says: unable to expand “app bin” it is an unsupported format.

@Ivan Larios

When you download the firmware, in my case V23, you get a file named (in my case) "Bar48_2.4_V23.zip". That is a compressed file (i.e. .zip). When you extract the files from there you will get the app.bin file. The app.bin file is the actual firmware that you copy to the USB drive.  

The app.bin file is an unsupported format because it is not a compressed (.zip) file and there is nothing to extract from it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Klipsch Bar 48 with surround pack 3 weeks ago in Sydney from harvey Norman.  At first the surround speakers volume would not increase.  I have downloaded the latest firmware update V30 which helped somewhat but occasionally the surround speakers will have a burst of much louder sound than what they generate at full volume. I now notice that my subwoofer seems to have no power. I've tried it in several different power points but no light at all. Have tried unplugging soundbar and subwoofer power to restart but still no life in the subwoofer.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

@Leopardlady

On 5/23/2020 at 8:25 PM, Leopardlady said:

At first the surround speakers volume would not increase.

See this thread for additional information: BAR 48 Surround Button 

the surround speakers will have a burst of much louder sound than what they generate at full volume.

Others have reported a burst of static which I have also experienced. It is unclear from the limited information provided about the V30 firmware update whether it completely addresses this issue.

I now notice that my subwoofer seems to have no power.

Many of us have experienced this issue. It was supposed to have been addressed by the previous firmware update. If I remove power from the subwoofer for about a minute then reapply power the issue resolves itself. If this doesn't work for you, I would then follow the procedure in the manual to pair the subwoofer with the soundbar.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

I have provided additional information in this thread:

Bar 48 Bluetooth Issue....maybe....

• 7 months later...