Klipsch RP-160M

tubetwister

I agrre... they were an absolute bargain as a B stock price! I am currently running a pair for my fronts, and another pair for my surrounds (absolutely shocked at the sound these throw out) until I get my k402 MEHs completed at which time they will become surrounds, and rear surrounds. I am also thinking of bypassing the internal crossovers with a Xilica 4080.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 4:05 AM, inMotionGraphics said:

As a matter of interest, what is the difference between the RP-160M and the RP-600M? I compared the two on Klipsch's website, but they look very similar. Or is the RP-160M just the preceding model to the 600M's?

Vented tweeter, no base plate, smaller cabinet, some cosmetic differences here and there. Thats basically it i think. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not much difference that I can see, same drivers. That base plate is easily removed if you don’t like it. I think it gives the 160M’s an upscale look, just like my 7 III’s.

In a double blind listening test, it is doubtful that you could tell the difference between the 160M and the 600M.

The 160M’s are heavier also, maybe due to the base. I really like mine!

• Like 2

Agree with the OP.  The best secret out there.  I was using my RP-160M as surrounds. Bought a place south preparing to retire.  Took the speakers south, found an older model RC62II at Fry’s for 150 and a refurbished Denon to power them.  Just for something while I was on the coast. 

They sounded fantastic as the front LR on a 3.1 system. The only time the sound started breaking down was when I maxed Out the power.  Very impressed for $350.  I was surprised 

I took the bottom base off so they sat flat on some stands I bought from monoprice.  I didn’t see much of a difference between this generation and the newer generation other than some cosmetics 

Took 3 years and now I have moved, they’re back at surround duty.  I don’t know what’s different about them, but they sound awesome for the price.  Best value vs sound out there. Find a RC62II and it makes movie nights awesome too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RTR said:

They sounded fantastic as the front LR on a 3.1 system. The only time the sound started breaking down was when I maxed Out the power. 

Very impressed for $350.  I was surprised 

Have your secretary type that up and I'll sign it.  Don't change a word.  B)

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

I have the RP-600M.  They are strong enough for L/R duty and like you say, if you play them at crazy loud levels there is some compression.  But for all other SPL's, wow.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, Ron E said:

I agrre... they were an absolute bargain as a B stock price! I am currently running a pair for my fronts, and another pair for my surrounds (absolutely shocked at the sound these throw out) until I get my k402 MEHs completed at which time they will become surrounds, and rear surrounds. I am also thinking of bypassing the internal crossovers with a Xilica 4080.

The 160M's at Crutchfield are first run, factory A stock. Not B stock. I found B stock examples on Ebay, for about the same price as Crutchfield. Note that free shipping is standard with the purchase, which is UPS 2 day. If you can wait a couple extra days, you can save an extra $15 off the purchase price.

• Like 1

When I bought mine Crutchfield was a bit higher as I recall...plus I wanted them in Cherry, and it was hard at the time to get them in cherry discounted. Regardless they were in mint condition, and never appeared to even have been open or played as even the plastic bananna plugs were still in place.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 7:48 AM, wvu80 said:

Have your secretary type that up and I'll sign it.  Don't change a word.  B)

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

I have the RP-600M.  They are strong enough for L/R duty and like you say, if you play them at crazy loud levels there is some compression.  But for all other SPL's, wow.

My 160M’s are serving in a stereo setup in the MBR. They sound great at any volume that we employ...but the “maxing out” of power is not an option. On any of my stereo or home theater systems. I do not want to suffer damage. To my ears, or to my audio system.

The 160’s are also soldiering on as the surround speakers in a 7.2.4 system. We have an all Klipsch system.

The 600M’s were considered. But at close to $355/pair, with free shipping from Crutchfield, I could not pass these up. Best bang-for-the-buck..

• Like 1