The Klipsch Audio Community
kierre

Klipsch Chorus 2 parts, need cabinets built

Hello all, first post.  I've been a Klipsch believer and owner since the late 80s with the purchase of my Klipsch Chorus 2s while serving overseas in Korea.  I still have them today, hence why I thought that one day I may need spare parts.  I came across these via an online garage sale post while in Germany and snatched them up quickly.  Fast forward to 5 years later and my OGs are fine (maybe could use some help from Bob Crites), but other than that, I'm still very pleased with the sound they produce.  

The parts have been sitting idle for too long and I want to put them to use.  I would like to build (or have built) a couple of cabinets close to the originals and of course I realize that I will not be able to fully replicate the OGs, but I think they could potentially sound very good as custom built speakers, while meeting the intent to pull them off the shelf and put them to use.  I imagine that these are in worse shape that my other ones, but they seem serviceable.

Any ideas of how best to approach this as far as type materials, dimensions etc.?  I have a  few friends that are phenomenal people and also happen to be pretty good at wood work.  I casually mentioned what I was trying to do and they responded with the usual "bring a case of beer, and we'll knock this out over the weekend".  I don't know if that would actually be the case (wood work is one thing, speaker cabinets are another), but I would like to take the next step in bringing these parts back to life.  Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

chorus 2 parts.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kierre said:

Hello all, first post.  I've been a Klipsch believer and owner since the late 80s with the purchase of my Klipsch Chorus 2s while serving overseas in Korea.  I still have them today, hence why I thought that one day I may need spare parts.  I came across these via an online garage sale post while in Germany and snatched them up quickly.  Fast forward to 5 years later and my OGs are fine (maybe could use some help from Bob Crites), but other than that, I'm still very pleased with the sound they produce.  

The parts have been sitting idle for too long and I want to put them to use.  I would like to build (or have built) a couple of cabinets close to the originals and of course I realize that I will not be able to fully replicate the OGs, but I think they could potentially sound very good as custom built speakers, while meeting the intent to pull them off the shelf and put them to use.  I imagine that these are in worse shape that my other ones, but they seem serviceable.

Any ideas of how best to approach this as far as type materials, dimensions etc.?  I have a  few friends that are phenomenal people and also happen to be pretty good at wood work.  I casually mentioned what I was trying to do and they responded with the usual "bring a case of beer, and we'll knock this out over the weekend".  I don't know if that would actually be the case (wood work is one thing, speaker cabinets are another), but I would like to take the next step in bringing these parts back to life.  Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

chorus 2 parts.jpg

I would use a good birch plywood for the box and good quality 1 inch mdf for motherboard. Chorus 1's have I believe a 2 4inch ports, many people have used 7 inch tubes in the ports o improve the  bass. Once build Vermeer to your liking. If you get all the materials first you should be able to build in a weekend'. Might want to rebuild  crossovers while they are out. 

you should be able to build nice boxes of the same dimensions as chorus2 pretty easy, but if you want the exact same look as originals with the recessed motor board it will take a little more work to cut the groove for the front board. if you want that same look & your friends cant do it, some members on here have built & are good at bulding speaker & sub boxes & im sure can help you out... or check out local cabinet shops or furniture restorations shops, they can duplicate the design & are usually fairly priced. 

i think chorus2 & newer models besides original heritage models are made from MDF with a thin veneer.  

i'm sure you know, those parts are for/from chorus2... not chorus1 with ports as mentioned above.  & if you have basic soldering skills you can change out the caps yourself with any decent brand capacitors, the chorus 2 are easy to do.  or spend more if youre budget allows & contact member deang on here for work or suggestions of top of the line caps.    

Mookie has done some Chorus work for a mutual friend here, and other but I cannot volunteer him for info or other.Other members come to mind also. A well placed search in the archive here should yield some decent results... Welcome.

I have  both ones and twos if you need any measurement for something like speaker placement or ports. Are you trying to  build an original like speaker or improved version. You  could add extra braces, fill, or experiment with different size ports. 

Without having the  chorus 2 radiators and a different mid from chorus 1 you may need to adjust the crossovers? 

7 hours ago, Lbk said:

Without having the  chorus 2 radiators and a different mid from chorus 1 you may need to adjust the crossovers? 

he has chorus2 radiators & mids.  why would he need to adjust the chorus 2 x-overs? 

Besides the two crossovers, two mid horns and drivers, and two tweeters, I only see one woofer and one passive radiator...

Bruce

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Besides the two crossovers, two mid horns and drivers, and two tweeters, I only see one woofer and one passive radiator...

Bruce

You're right it does look like that.  Someone from Bob Crites stated something similar when I was soliciting assistance from them to get cabinets built.  Essentially a bad picture to represent all items included.  The speakers and radiators are stacked.

Chorus 2 stacked.jpg

Edited by kierre
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2019 at 9:33 AM, Ljk said:

I would use a good birch plywood for the box and good quality 1 inch mdf for motherboard. Chorus 1's have I believe a 2 4inch ports, many people have used 7 inch tubes in the ports o improve the  bass. Once build Vermeer to your liking. If you get all the materials first you should be able to build in a weekend'. Might want to rebuild  crossovers while they are out. 

Hello and thanks for the response.  These are Klipsch Chorus 2 parts, so no ports needed with the passive radiators.  Based on your recommendation, it certainly sounds like a project I'm willing to take on.  Thanks again.

On 12/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

you should be able to build nice boxes of the same dimensions as chorus2 pretty easy, but if you want the exact same look as originals with the recessed motor board it will take a little more work to cut the groove for the front board. if you want that same look & your friends cant do it, some members on here have built & are good at bulding speaker & sub boxes & im sure can help you out... or check out local cabinet shops or furniture restorations shops, they can duplicate the design & are usually fairly priced. 

i think chorus2 & newer models besides original heritage models are made from MDF with a thin veneer.  

i'm sure you know, those parts are for/from chorus2... not chorus1 with ports as mentioned above.  & if you have basic soldering skills you can change out the caps yourself with any decent brand capacitors, the chorus 2 are easy to do.  or spend more if youre budget allows & contact member deang on here for work or suggestions of top of the line caps.    

Thanks for the feedback.  I want to get close... close enough that someone who knows the Chorus series could recognize what I was trying to do.  Not looking for an exact replica from a friend who's helping me out.  I also don't want to disrespect the originals, so I'll do my best to do right by them.

5 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

he has chorus2 radiators & mids.  why would he need to adjust the chorus 2 x-overs? 

From pic I thought he had everything except the chorus 2 radiators. You probably know the 1s and 2s have different crossovers.

He has everything for 2s so no problem. 

On 12/17/2019 at 5:43 PM, Lbk said:

From pic I thought he had everything except the chorus 2 radiators. You probably know the 1s and 2s have different crossovers.

He has everything for 2s so no problem. 

the pic shows a chorus2 radiator & the chorus 2 mid horns.  i am aware the 2 models have different x-overs,  just wanted to provide accurate info to keep the thread on track. 

On 12/19/2019 at 11:46 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

the pic shows a chorus2 radiator & the chorus 2 mid horns.  i am aware the 2 models have different x-overs,  just wanted to provide accurate info to keep the thread on track. 

Understand just didn't look at pic closely. Wonder what happen to the orginal cabinets, parts look to be in good shape.