La Scala Horn Alternatives?

Robbie010

They've stated in the past (as i understand) that they're not in the "parts business"  Meaning, they're not into selling parts so someone can make a creation.  If you need a part and have a serial number, they'll sell you the replacement.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:40 AM, Robbie010 said:

I have been surfing the web this afternoon looking for horns for my DIY La Scala project.

What about the Eliptrac Horn - http://www.alkeng.com/trachorn.html

and https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144700-eliptrac-400-kit-finishing-update/&ct=1557489906

and https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/176161-what-happened-to-fastlane-audio/&ct=1576716864 for the email address.

I have just finished building these and they are well worth the effort.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

Where there is a will there is a way.  😉

Isn't Vitavox British?  They made a Klipschorn copy with their own squawker horn and driver on top.  Considered a gem on this side of the pond, maybe you could find a pair of those.  The cache would be uber! 

Even available new.  http://www.vitavoxhifi.co.uk/products.php?page=dispersive_hornsw. 

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

Where there is a will there is a way.  😉

Isn't Vitavox British?  They made a Klipschorn copy with their own squawker horn and driver on top.  Considered a gem on this side of the pond, maybe you could find a pair of those.  The cache would be uber! 

Even available new.  http://www.vitavoxhifi.co.uk/products.php?page=dispersive_hornsw. 

I have the will but it won’t be by the way of Vitavox.....£3,649 each! 😂😂

Go big, or go home... Peavey FH1s (La Scala wonabes) with K510s as 2way.

IMG_0991_sm.thumb.jpg.2355769598fa6dcb8003ceaa01c3d9ed.jpg
Are those 18x10s? They sure look like the ones I bought off eBay that Chris recommended to me. Pretty inexpensive, an can handle a 2" horn driver.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

A friend of mine is using my old La Scala bass bins with a EVhorn, and EV DH1A drivers with a minidsp and it sounds great. If you go with that combo, let me know and I will have him give me the settings for the minidsp. I think the horn is the 940. It is about the same width as the La Scala bass bin, andabout the height of the La Scala stock top.

If not, I am willing to let you have a pair of 18x10s that have never been used...you just need to pay the shipping from Mexico.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ron E said:

A friend of mine is using my old La Scala bass bins with a EVhorn, and EV DH1A drivers with a minidsp and it sounds great. If you go with that combo, let me know and I will have him give me the settings for the minidsp. I think the horn is the 940. It is about the same width as the La Scala bass bin, andabout the height of the La Scala stock top.

If not, I am willing to let you have a pair of 18x10s that have never been used...you just need to pay the shipping from Mexico.

That is very kind of you, thanks. 

I have now decided to go full DIY and make a wood version of the K400, unless a pair of used horns come up at the right price in the meantime. 

11 hours ago, Ron E said:

Are those 18x10s? They sure look like the ones I bought off eBay that Chris recommended to me. Pretty inexpensive, an can handle a 2" horn driver.

The horns are Klipsch K510s, with Faital HF-200 compression drivers.

• Like 1

Probably not easy to find outside of the US and Canada, but I’m working on a project with the Unity horns used in the Yorkville U15 (and U215). They are licensed under the Tom Danley Synergy patent and sound really good. They are crossed at 315Hz for pro audio use. I’m going to experiment going lower for home use. 

They combine a 1” exit compression driver and 3x5” cone mids on one conical 60 degree horn. 

• Like 1

Jeffrey, I appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your experience. I clicked on the asylum link. I’ve never laid ears on an A7 driven by decent much less excellent power. I’m in NY somewhat regularly and am very curious. Shooting you a message.

I’m quite fond of these Unity horns. They are designed to behave like a single driver from 300ish on up. To my ears, which have also been around a few blocks, they do a great job of it. One thing I really enjoy is discovering and appreciating various methods to correct deficiencies in all kinds of technical systems. Your post piqued my interest for sure.