La Scala Horn Alternatives?

Robbie010

• 1 month later...

The K400 isn't a bad horn, but most of the crossovers have the mids a little too hot and it's easy to overload the throat. If you aren't running at insane levels, they are fine.

The K401, has better dimensional specs (my k400s had some casting flaws...), and won't ring.  That being said, when I put a K69A on a 2 inch throat horn on my LS, the sound is even more fabulous.

Another cost effective alternative to consider for La Scala/Belle/Khorn retrofit--in addition to the existing alternatives of the K-510/K-691 and K-402/K-691 JubScalas.  The winged/stacked AMT-1 is a dipole radiator for those seeking greater apparent depth of soundstage and an airy, light sound:

Chris

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, Marvel said:

The K400 isn't a bad horn, but most of the crossovers have the mids a little too hot and it's easy to overload the throat. If you aren't running at insane levels, they are fine.

The K401, has better dimensional specs (my k400s had some casting flaws...), and won't ring.  That being said, when I put a K69A on a 2 inch throat horn on my LS, the sound is even more fabulous.

For anyone else interested in putting a updated K-691 2"compression-driver ,

into their LaScala's (with K-401 horns)

...I have TWO brand new K-691 Drivers for sale

(I can ship ASAP)

Born2Rock@Comcast.net

~ Craig LeMay

On 2/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, Marvel said:

Bruce,

Did you have to modify your crossovers to accommodate the 2" driver?

Thank you, 

Mark

2 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Did you have to modify your crossovers to accommodate the 2" driver?

Mark,

I have the 2 inch drivers on a pair of selenium horns I got from Bob. I actually got them to use on the MWM bins I, in a round about way, got from JWC. I have simply swapped them out, resting on top of the LS, but certainly needed to pad them down a bit.

So... at present, it's LS mids at tweeters and MWM bottoms. Very nice clean bass. Hopefully, the LS will go to my older son this summer and that will free up just enough space to go full setup with the MWMs.

8 hours ago, Randyh said:

and the k401 is still used in brand new  2020 khorns , luckily , for us , the entire Heritage team do not think the K401 s-------s

There’s a reason why the crossover to the tweeter has been lowered from 6000 Hz to 4500 Hz. Just do a search on this forum about « replacement mid horn » and you will see how many looked for a better alternative and why they thought it necessary. I’m not alone here. A stock Klipsch sounds great but if your room is smaller than average that beamy midrange gets tiring pretty quickly. 

Edited by Rolox

I find that it actually depends on the model of the crossover.  The original PWK-designed crossovers didn't use a low pass filter on the midrange channel thus allowing the K-55 to roll off naturally on its own--which it does very well. 

So the "beaming" that you're speaking of is actually an echo pulse that's between 2 and 3 full time periods behind the tweeter's output (usually 0.6 ms), but rolling off fast above 5 kHz.  It wasn't until later crossover models that the midrange lowpass filter was added (as I'm told by others here on the forum--since I don't own later Heritage models). 

I usually set the crossover frequency at 4900 Hz between the K-55 driver (and whichever Heritage horn is being used) and the tweeter (usually a K-77, but it could also be a Crites tweeter) when using a DSP crossover.  There actually isn't much latitude between the midrange and tweeter in terms of viable crossover overlap band.  

Chris