The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie010

La Scala Horn Alternatives?

They've stated in the past (as i understand) that they're not in the "parts business"  Meaning, they're not into selling parts so someone can make a creation.  If you need a part and have a serial number, they'll sell you the replacement.

17 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

previous posts suggest Klipsch will not sell parts?? 

Nope, Klipsch is against DIY projects.

Things used to be different.

25 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

previous posts suggest Klipsch will not sell parts?? 

Why don't  you call them?

On 12/16/2019 at 4:40 AM, Robbie010 said:

I have been surfing the web this afternoon looking for horns for my DIY La Scala project.

What about the Eliptrac Horn - http://www.alkeng.com/trachorn.html

and https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144700-eliptrac-400-kit-finishing-update/&ct=1557489906

and https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/176161-what-happened-to-fastlane-audio/&ct=1576716864 for the email address.

I have just finished building these and they are well worth the effort.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

Where there is a will there is a way.  😉

Isn't Vitavox British?  They made a Klipschorn copy with their own squawker horn and driver on top.  Considered a gem on this side of the pond, maybe you could find a pair of those.  The cache would be uber! 

Even available new.  http://www.vitavoxhifi.co.uk/products.php?page=dispersive_hornsw. 

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

Where there is a will there is a way.  😉

Isn't Vitavox British?  They made a Klipschorn copy with their own squawker horn and driver on top.  Considered a gem on this side of the pond, maybe you could find a pair of those.  The cache would be uber! 

Even available new.  http://www.vitavoxhifi.co.uk/products.php?page=dispersive_hornsw. 

I have the will but it won’t be by the way of Vitavox.....£3,649 each! 😂😂

Guess not.  Though, I was thinking old, used horns first. 

Go big, or go home... Peavey FH1s (La Scala wonabes) with K510s as 2way.

IMG_0991_sm.thumb.jpg.2355769598fa6dcb8003ceaa01c3d9ed.jpg
Are those 18x10s? They sure look like the ones I bought off eBay that Chris recommended to me. Pretty inexpensive, an can handle a 2" horn driver.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

A friend of mine is using my old La Scala bass bins with a EVhorn, and EV DH1A drivers with a minidsp and it sounds great. If you go with that combo, let me know and I will have him give me the settings for the minidsp. I think the horn is the 940. It is about the same width as the La Scala bass bin, andabout the height of the La Scala stock top.

If not, I am willing to let you have a pair of 18x10s that have never been used...you just need to pay the shipping from Mexico.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ron E said:

A friend of mine is using my old La Scala bass bins with a EVhorn, and EV DH1A drivers with a minidsp and it sounds great. If you go with that combo, let me know and I will have him give me the settings for the minidsp. I think the horn is the 940. It is about the same width as the La Scala bass bin, andabout the height of the La Scala stock top.

If not, I am willing to let you have a pair of 18x10s that have never been used...you just need to pay the shipping from Mexico.

That is very kind of you, thanks. 

I have now decided to go full DIY and make a wood version of the K400, unless a pair of used horns come up at the right price in the meantime. 

11 hours ago, Ron E said:

Are those 18x10s? They sure look like the ones I bought off eBay that Chris recommended to me. Pretty inexpensive, an can handle a 2" horn driver.

The horns are Klipsch K510s, with Faital HF-200 compression drivers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robbie010 said:

That is very kind of you, thanks. 

I have now decided to go full DIY and make a wood version of the K400, unless a pair of used horns come up at the right price in the meantime. 

If you can do that, why don't you build a pair of the Tractrix horns? 

Probably not easy to find outside of the US and Canada, but I’m working on a project with the Unity horns used in the Yorkville U15 (and U215). They are licensed under the Tom Danley Synergy patent and sound really good. They are crossed at 315Hz for pro audio use. I’m going to experiment going lower for home use. 

They combine a 1” exit compression driver and 3x5” cone mids on one conical 60 degree horn. 

• Like 1

All that follows is JUST my opinion, after being in front of high efficiency professional drivers for 75 years:

I too would suggest a two way system with a 15 inch woofer. 

Why??  It is an easier crossover, for the amplifier to drive. This opens up the use of tube amp designs that SOUND the best, which are in the 1/2 to 2 watt range.  ( Yes Maynard ! )  Amplifiers, and not speakers, are the weakest link in audio. This calls for an efficient speaker, 100 dB minimum, and a simple audio path.  Never DSP, the added stage, and extra electronics, is opposite of simple.  Never biamping with dissimilar amps, having dissimilar time constants, differing signatures. 

One superb full range 2 Watt amp, driving a simple two-way highly efficient speaker.

In a simple two-way, you give up the extreme bottom, ( unless you use about an eleven cubic foot MLTL enclosure with the 15 inch. )   But above the extreme bottom, you can enjoy a coherent music presentation that can far exceed complex sub - woofer added - on systems.

What sort of two way speaker?   Well, for the 15 inch woofer use a FRONT / DIRECT radiating driver - one that can play up as high as possible.   Never have the woofer traverse ANY back-loaded horn paths - ( which will go lower at the expense, the trade-off, of doing  higher frequency information.)   We want the 15 to play as high into the midrange, and as linearly, as possible.  It takes a really good, efficient, and expensive driver to do that.

My favorite choice, new in 2019, for a 15 inch woofer, is referenced below.  Its a 15 inch that plays and is speced up to 4,000 hZ.   In an appropriate enclosure ( 828, 825, etc ) it is about 104 dB.   ( Likely HIGHER in sensitivity - if you run it as I would,........ full range, no crossover. )  Its not inexpensive, but it certainly performs, and it is the best solution I am aware of ( excluding $$$$$ ALE drivers )!! 

http://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/515_G.pdf.

What sort of enclosure for this type of great 15 inch driver ??   I love a horn load on the 15 inch !!!   But I ALSO 'wanna hear it direct radiating,  so this requires only using a FRONT - horn loaded speaker enclosure.  This affinity stems from my days in the 1980s of owning / using RCA Theatre Bass horns, double -15 inch driver loaded bass horns, slang-termed " Ubangies ".

Ubangie.JPG.7ab4aa02f86ac7b37b3e417ba787262b.JPG

847263348_Ubangie2.JPG.275b9b043b4e55a91683e0c9964a68cc.JPG

Unfortunately, these take up lotsa space, require a large room.  My COMPROMISE suggestion in 2019, is to simply use another smaller Theatre enclosure, having a modest  " shorthorn " in front of the 15 inch driver.   ALWAYS use FRONT-RADIATING BASS HORNS !!  I suggest something called an Altec A-7, often referred to as a VOTT , or Voice Of The Theatre enclosure.  The early ones ( I run ) are 825s, later ones are numbered 828s.

There are many " audiophile mods" to these VOTT enclosures, and I will warn all of you, in my opinion, almost ALL of them are a degrade.  The Engineers got the enclosure right, at the factory.  Just VERY light mods need to be done, removing almost all of the fibreglass, and a few well placed external braces on 825s.  There is a nice chap in Portland, who loves to build horn speakers.  Go to his web site, and listen to what he said upon hearing an A-7 , stock, in his home.  (   John Inlow Sound, scroll way-down on the left side of the page, and click on " Altec A7 horn " ).  http://www.inlowsound.com/   An A-7, well set up,  will play OK in a small room, or I've been told - even in a one car garage !@!!

Earlier in this thread, posters advised a 2 inch exit compression drivers, and another person advised an ALTEC 511 horn.   In my opinion, BOTH should be avoided.... for a two-way system. 

A 2 inch exit driver will NOT play the extreme highs, ( you'll want to have ) if doing a two-way system. Too large and heavy a diaphragm I would guess. 

I would recommend a one inch exit compression driver, HIGH quality, and I use the stock 811 horn, that goes with the A7 bottom end. ( A7-8 ).  People complain about a 511 or an 811 sounding bad, when 90% of what they are hearing is their very poorly designed / made audio amps, with cheap electrolytic capacitors, and execution, that the efficient speaker throws back at them.

To extend the high frequency reproduction of any two way,  WITHOUT adding a tweeter, do this select and install a multiple capacitor bank on the crossover's tweeter circuit.  Caps in parallel.  Smaller uF ( bypass ) caps will play higher. It needs to be executed by ear, and only expensive high quality caps can be used.  An art form !!!  My tweeter's crossover capacitor is not singular, but rather, consists of seven or so different values, so it plays the highs as a two-way, to my satisfaction. 

In early 2019, I eliminated all crossover components for the 15 inch woofer, entirely.  I now drive the woofer full-range and direct from the amp.  Much nicer to hear !!  My 15 inch, a 515B, plays up high - to about 2K.  Very sweet, alnico.  Bet the newest GPA 515G ferrite will outperform it !!!

I know this is a Klipsch Forum - which I respect, but people here like Claude, ben. and others, may use and discuss Danley Synergy speakers ( which I like a lot, save for the complex crossover needed ) .  Many of you installed  /  use differing, better, after-market drivers also. 

'Just thought I would respectfully share my reasoning, as to what I feel is a speaker solution - that fits in my home - and pleases me, after decades of tail chasing.   From " See My System", to the top left of this post, under my Moniker, see early work-in-progress, of my speaker photos :   https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=hug&m=182196

I shouldn't tell people this, but at one single point in time I owned six of those big Ubangie enclosures.  Was going to double stack them, till I moved to NYC.    Happy Holidays.

Jeffrey Medwin

Jeffrey, I appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your experience. I clicked on the asylum link. I’ve never laid ears on an A7 driven by decent much less excellent power. I’m in NY somewhat regularly and am very curious. Shooting you a message.

I’m quite fond of these Unity horns. They are designed to behave like a single driver from 300ish on up. To my ears, which have also been around a few blocks, they do a great job of it. One thing I really enjoy is discovering and appreciating various methods to correct deficiencies in all kinds of technical systems. Your post piqued my interest for sure.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:39 AM, ben. said:

I’m in NY somewhat regularly and am very curious.

I'm thinking that move has been superceded unless it was quite recent.

FaitalPRO LTH142 and a driver that you like. Realy good horns, I have the slightly smaller 1" variant.