New La Scala uses AudioQuest Type 4

In a video, Roy said something to the effect that since some of the customers liked to use wire like that, they figured "why not" use it internally while they were doing other things to "upgrade" the speakers.  As I recall, he definitely didn't give the impression that the decision was driven by pure performance of the wire versus their "standard" fare.  I wonder, is the company which markets the wire also under the Audiovox umbrella with Klipsch?

Yeah, I was wondering if the change was made because it was really was an inprovement from OEM speaker wire, or if it was just in the realm of aesthetics/cosmetics/marketing. Since I'm upgrading the tweeters to SMAHL V2 -- and Klipsch has upgraded both HF/MF horns as well -- I was wondering if I should follow their lead and upgrade the 1970s wiring while I'm at it.

16 hours ago, Cathedral Guitar said:

Does anyone know what process Klipsch used for deciding on using AQ type 4 in the new La Scala? Does this move by Klipsch suggest that upgrading to Type 4 would improve the vintage La Scala? Am installing 3x new tweeter horns, Dave's V2, and am thinking of upgrading to Type 4 while I am in there. Thanks for any thoughts.

The AQ speaker wire you mention needs to be heard. Or simply bypass that and get the Type-8.

When I viewed my ofc monster 14 gauge doing the thirty year upgrade to my stereo a couple of years ago I decided to replace it. Did not afford the two fifty foot runs like I had but did not need that length any longer. https://www.audioadvisor.com/ used to sell you a small set for trial purposes that you could easily return.

Remember PWK talking about garbage in = garbage out? Maybe it wasn't him but if you've got 99+ sensitive speakers and very low noise amplification you might like the difference you hear.

That's only if you can set aside any prejudice you might have against non-zip-cord speaker wiring.

This is a volatile subject here, been maligned before here about this.

If you don't like my opinion keep it to yourself.

Try it is all I'm saying, that doesn't hurt does it?

On my Heresy IIs the type-4 was an immediate noticeable improvement in the timbre from low to high. That comparison was made with some Phoenix Gold 14 gauge that I'd had on the H2's for a couple of years. The Phoenix is on the pc now. And I had "Vertical Bi-wire" AudioQuest Type-8 waiting on my Fortes IIIs before they got here. My c 2017 rig isn't as loud as three sets getting 100w/channel, but it is magnificently better sound quality with 120w/ch (that I haven't reached at all) into one set.

• Like 1

Thanks, y'all: John, just to be clear, I'm talking about the benefits of replacing the internal wiring on the La Scala. Type 4 is not crazy expensive for me, as I think I can rewire the La Scala for under $40 a speaker. But if I upgrade the internal wiring, then I might be tempted to upgrade the crossover terminals while I'm in there!! Enter the rabbit hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cathedral Guitar said:

Thanks, y'all: John, just to be clear, I'm talking about the benefits of replacing the internal wiring on the La Scala. Type 4 is not crazy expensive for me, as I think I can rewire the La Scala for under $40 a speaker. But if I upgrade the internal wiring, then I might be tempted to upgrade the crossover terminals while I'm in there!! Enter the rabbit hole.

Yes I saw that and understood, just offering my 2 cents on a positive reason the change could have been made. Corporate-speak is everywhere. I regard anything Roy Delgado says with high esteem. I do think it's possible he might have had another reason to implement this wire internally too.

Rabbit holes can come from speaker wiring too :lol: !

After my trial run I do know I got a fair (on sale) price on mine. They run sales often, get on their list! Cardas and other brands cost a LOT more, I'm pleased with the difference I made upgrading the speaker wires here!

Type-4 is equivalent to:

Overall: 2 x 15 AWG (1.54 mm2)
2 x 20 AWG Solid Long-Grain Copper (LGC) Conductors
2 x 17 AWG Solid Long-Grain Copper (LGC) Conductors

The Type-8:

Overall: 2 x 12 AWG (3.30 mm2)
2 x 20 AWG Solid Perfect-Surface Copper (PSC) Conductors
2 x 19 AWG Solid Perfect-Surface Copper (PSC) Conductors
2 x 18 AWG Solid LGC Conductors
2 x 16 AWG Solid LGC Conductors

Find their site and see if the "Cable Theory" page is still up there.

Not an engineer, I'm just opinionated and unapologetic at times.

• Like 2

I took Roy’s lead and rewired my La Scala’s internally with StarQuad cable. Used Canare 4S6 for the tweeters and 4S8 for the mids inside the top hat.  

Left the stock 14 ga zip for the woofers. Routing the cable out of the top hat to the bass bin is best with thin flexible wire. Would use 4S11 if redoing and wanting to use StarQuad for all three drivers. 

Cost was maybe 4.00 USD for the pair. Biwiring between speakers and amplifier with 4S11 for low frequency and 4S8 for the mid/tweeters. This was around 40.00 USD due to wire size and length.

Used Canare instead of AQ because it is what I have been using for a long time. Read that some high dollar, more than LS5 and AK6, speakers use it for internal wiring. Plus if you order speaker cables from Benchmark Media you get Canare 4S11. That is a high recommendation.

In theory this is better than zip cord. Not sure if you can hear difference.

Thanks kindly for the replies. I come from the Pro Audio world, and when we did remote choral + symphonic recordings, our mic cable of choice was Canare, so I have a lot of confidence with their products. I happen have some Type 4 on hand, but will also look into getting some Canare 4S11. Thanks very much for the thoughts and recommendations!!