New La Scala uses AudioQuest Type 4

In my view, no one has identified a shortcoming in the stock wiring or zip cord.  Further no one has advertised their super wire to show it solves any problem.  There are just pretty pictures and pseudo-engineering mombo-jumbo.

It does look like AQ is talking about problem in other application such as microphones or very long feedwires.  Of course twisted pair pair, but not two pair, is widely used there.

My guess is that Roy had to bow to the requests of the publicity department and did so as long as there was no harm.

WMcD

• Like 1

I don't think fancy wire makes a difference but gage can. I buy 100' of 12g zip cord from Monoprice when on sale for amp to speaker connections and 14g by the 300' spool from Parts Express last time for internal cabinet hook up wires. I am in the camp where copper is a conductor and applying snake oil to it does not enhance the performance. Does seem to raise the price a lot though and I love going to Audiogon to read fantasy stories from people who believe all this stuff.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 5:17 PM, Cathedral Guitar said:

Can someone ask Roy what the thinking was? I will if nobody else wants to. I noticed that they hiked up the price as well, so maybe they are now audiophile speakers marketed to wealthy audiofiles.

All of the better speaker companies are expensive and for what you get compared to the competition Klipsch holds up very well. You can spend a lot more and have less from a lot of their competition. Personally I like to fiddle to much and like the hunt so I never was a buyer for new any way.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 6:28 AM, glens said:

In a video, Roy said something to the effect that since some of the customers liked to use wire like that, they figured "why not" use it internally while they were doing other things to "upgrade" the speakers.  As I recall, he definitely didn't give the impression that the decision was driven by pure performance of the wire versus their "standard" fare.  I wonder, is the company which markets the wire also under the Audiovox umbrella with Klipsch?

Marketing Dept in full effect.

Since the "runs" are at most, what, a couple feet, maybe they get a deal on manufacturing "tails" or something.  That way AQ can get more than scrap price for their scrap, hahaha!

In all seriousness, I just awoke from a really weird dream, couldn't get back to sleep, and still aren't feeling/thinking quite right...

I wish you would have put as much thought in the analogy as you did in the punctuation, as nobody has ever claimed that the color of the wire jacket made a sonic improvement, but rather it is much more like the improvements are due to heaver gauge wire (i.e., a bigger engine) better quality materials, as well as better engineering -- arguments which hold sway in automotive sales as well as most every other industry. Any car can get you from point A to point B, just like any wire can pass a signal, but the most expensive is not always the fastest, and the fastest is not always the best. 

6 minutes ago, Cathedral Guitar said:

as nobody has ever claimed that the color of the wire jacket made a sonic improvement

I think you need to research some of the illustrious Medwin's posts on this forum.  I believe you will end up retracting that statement....

• Like 1