DIY projector screen

Lbk

I have a benq w1070 projector I need a screen for. Not top of the line so wondering if it's better to build or buy a screen. (Cost effective) Does not need to be a play thur screen, center channel is below screen.  

So if I build is it better to go with black or white screen? (Looking for real world experience if possible) Best material for screen and where to buy. I have done some research so I'am looking for real world experience if possible. Thanks!

Look at my post on the thread 1st Take - RF-7III.

That is a 155” DIY screen. Hours of personal labor, with a wall sander making the surface “baby bottom” smooth. But the actual dollar cost was...$90. And this screen has a 1.2 gain. It is about as good as you can get. It looks awesome with my current Epson 5050UB, and looked equally good with my former Panasonic PT-AE8000U.

Paint formula: 

Base coat - Kilz Primer

Top Coat - Behr Silver Screen / White Opal Pearl 

We also installed black velvet drapes.

23 hours ago, tubetwister said:

Look at my post on the thread 1st Take - RF-7III.

That is a 155” DIY screen. Hours of personal labor, with a wall sander making the surface “baby bottom” smooth. But the actual dollar cost was...$90. And this screen has a 1.2 gain. It is about as good as you can get. It looks awesome with my current Epson 5050UB, and looked equally good with my former Panasonic PT-AE8000U.

Paint formula: 

Base coat - Kilz Primer

Top Coat - Behr Silver Screen / White Opal Pearl 

We also installed black velvet drapes.

Ok I will take a look, thanks.

Here are three links, with good info on DIY Home Theater Screens:

https://www.hometheatershack.com/threads/diy-screen-155-diagonal-advice-needed.25422/page-2

https://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

And this one might be the best for a source of high quality, ready to go screen paint:

https://paintonscreen.com/

Dont rule out a commercially made screen, there are some fantastic ones out there for a few hundred dollars. I understand that maybe funds don't allow for it, but if they do take a look on Marketplace, cl, etc. Sometimes they can be had for less than $400.

I built mine as I wanted acoustic transparent. I used cheap spandex from Joanne fabric, black than white, cheap pine 1x3s. I think for a little more it can be alot better, oh and I to am using the BenQ W1070.

646e51a0489a3f51bb3946611aeec3c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 12/21/2019 at 9:33 PM, The Dude said:

Dont rule out a commercially made screen, there are some fantastic ones out there for a few hundred dollars. I understand that maybe funds don't allow for it, but if they do take a look on Marketplace, cl, etc. Sometimes they can be had for less than $400.

I built mine as I wanted acoustic transparent. I used cheap spandex from Joanne fabric, black than white, cheap pine 1x3s. I think for a little more it can be alot better, oh and I to am using the BenQ W1070.

646e51a0489a3f51bb3946611aeec3c9.jpg

I have decide to do a motorized drop down screen for movies and  use my old plasma tv for everyday viewing..My room measures 11 by 17 and I found a da lite motorized 11 ft screen on let go for 80 bucks. It's a commercial screen with a gain of 1,1 black backing and borders. The cord is missi g ( Screen came from  a school and was hard wired) and no remote but for 20 bucks I can rig up a cord and get a plug in universal remote.  I know the screen is too big but for the money I could not resist giving a try. Now I just have to get this monster hung up, I will let you know how it works out  once up .

T

• Like 1