Main right speaker blocked by sofa. Please help!

Javi v

Hello, I am debating getting floor standing or bookshelf speakers for L/R channel for my home theatre. The room is large but my right speaker is blocked by a new sectional sofa, the top half of my current floor standing is visible. I have always loved floor standing speakers but have read great things on the RP 600 bookshelf’s. I have attached some pics of my living space , the room is 22x12 the tv is 10 feet away from the sofa.

Please share your thoughts!

Thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler

0292C3AF-F6BB-4BB5-83D3-22EA03EC6B9E.jpeg

A9E479F1-8460-487B-B08D-3B174553C1BF.jpeg

Edited by Javi v

Move couch?

Put speakers on something to lift them up higher?

Is the couch actually blocking portions of the speaker that matter most in terms of direction-ality (Mids/tweets)?

I'd be reticent to the notion of replacing floor speakers with book-shelvers as well.

I'd probably figure out a way to raise the speakers.  Make a heavy pedestal for them of some type. Don't imagine you'd have to lift them by more than 6-8 inches to get your critical sound path back. 

Trying to accommodate a theater in a small room with furniture that's actually livable can be a challenge..

• Like 1

I would suggest for you to go with the floorstanders.  That there is a couch in the way just happens sometimes.  Your AVR Audyssey program will correct for that.

I have the RP-600M's.  They are strong enough to be used as L/R should you decide to do that.

Here they are with a 65" TV, the audio cab is 30" tall.  Stands are 18" tall which is too low, 24" would put the tweeter at ear height when seated.

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

Thanks for the quick response guys! 

I can’t move the couch , it will be too far from the wall where the tv is.

I am mounting the tv on the wall, the tv will not be centered if I move the console to the left unfortunately...

I also have the carpet, just have to lay it down. Lol

so the consensus is Floorstanding!! So RP 280’s it is!! 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Did you notice a difference in sound before and after the couch was placed there? The upper portion of that speaker houses the upper end of the frequency range, the couch is blocking the bottom end (woofer-bass). It might not block enough of the speaker to make that much of a difference. Can you shift it all to the left a few feet?

Hello, I am debating getting floor standing or bookshelf speakers for L/R channel for my home theatre. The room is large but my right speaker is blocked by a new sectional sofa, the top half of my current floor standing is visible. I have always loved floor standing speakers but have read great things on the RP 600 bookshelf’s. I have attached some pics of my living space , the room is 22x12 the tv is 10 feet away from the sofa.

Please share your thoughts!

Thanks
Spoiler Spoiler  

0292C3AF-F6BB-4BB5-83D3-22EA03EC6B9E.thumb.jpeg.efa37d451053a4bc1a07d647d1cd4e13.jpeg
A9E479F1-8460-487B-B08D-3B174553C1BF.thumb.jpeg.3f3f879dac43e2cf32e17899c4f3d0c4.jpeg

You should be fine. Bass frequencies are omnidirectional. As long as the tweeters aren’t blocked, everything is fine. I would hate to sit on the sofa and have a side view of the screen though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I am mounting the tv on the wall, the tv will not be centered if I move the console to the left unfortunately...

Thanks!

Mr. Clean, unfortunately I cannot use that wall behind the sofa, my surrounds are hung behind me facing the tv from the ceiling, We thought of that as well, but it is not an option, due to the room opening to the kitchen. 

Great video of the saws all guy!! Lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Did you notice a difference in sound before and after the couch was placed there? The upper portion of that speaker houses the upper end of the frequency range, the couch is blocking the bottom end (woofer-bass). It might not block enough of the speaker to make that much of a difference. Can you shift it all to the left a few feet?

Not really, we had a single sofa there before, also have to lay down the rug, big sound difference with the bare floor.

we have a little clearance behind the sofa to recline but we can still move it back like a foot.

12 minutes ago, Javi v said:

Thanks!

Mr. Clean, unfortunately I cannot use that wall behind the sofa, my surrounds are hung behind me facing the tv from the ceiling, We thought of that as well, but it is not an option, due to the room opening to the kitchen. 

Great video of the saws all guy!! Lol

I have the rp280f speakers. I love them! I have said this 4627 times but I use a little schiit loki  for EQ. In my crappy room it took them from Harsh to fantastic. Just shaving about 2 db made all the difference. My ears are older and that could be some of it also.