HUM in system ... Crown K1 amp??

Emile

3 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

You have already retrieved this broken tip from inside the power amp

Hi Khornukopia ... thanks for your help :D  No; tip (1/4 inch??) is still stuck inside, but does not seems to affect anything. (Tried "drill" method and "glue on a stick" but no luck.)  Seems it never affected anything ... and if it did, should be only ONE channel ??? Has worked fine with the RCA to XLR connectors for about a year :( 

• Like 1

The tip could be harmless where it sits, but I would want to remove the foreign object so that it can not cause a mysterious hum problem in the future. Should be easy to grab with some needle nose pliers, after unplugging the unit from the wall and removing the top cover and following normal electrical safety procedures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found an interesting review on these Monoprice RCA to XLR cables ...

XLR pin 2 (low) and the cable shield (XLR pin 3) are connected together at the RCA end, a potential source of ground-loop issues (in other words, hum). From my research, the best way to wire these kinds of adaptor cables to avoid hum is inot/i tying the cable shield and the low conductor together at the RCA end, instead wiring XLR pin 3 to RCA shield and insulating the cable shield at the RCA end. Short of modifying the cables (which, needless to say, is strictly at your own risk and will void warranties), buying a few cables and testing them first to ensure they will perform noiselessly in your application before committing to a larger quantity is highly recommended.

Unquote

Not sure how to "improve" these cables ... but it sure sounds like "my problem." Any better RCA to XLR cables?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Emile said:

Found an interesting review on these Monoprice RCA to XLR cables ...

XLR pin 2 (low) and the cable shield (XLR pin 3) are connected together at the RCA end, a potential source of ground-loop issues (in other words, hum). From my research, the best way to wire these kinds of adaptor cables to avoid hum is inot/i tying the cable shield and the low conductor together at the RCA end, instead wiring XLR pin 3 to RCA shield and insulating the cable shield at the RCA end. Short of modifying the cables (which, needless to say, is strictly at your own risk and will void warranties), buying a few cables and testing them first to ensure they will perform noiselessly in your application before committing to a larger quantity is highly recommended.

Unquote

Not sure how to "improve" these cables ... but it sure sounds like "my problem." Any better RCA to XLR cables?

Non sense. IF this persons cable was wired from Monoprice like this it was a defective cable. All my Monoprice RCA to XLR cables are wired correctly. Pin 2 of the XLR is connected to the RCA center pin down the clear or milky wire of the twisted pair. Pin 3 goes down the black wire of the twisted pair and connects to the RCA outer contact. Pin 1 of the XLR goes to the shield drain wire and is connected ONLY to the black wire ONLY at the RCA outer contact. This is the proper way to wire an RCA output to an XLR input.

I concur with others get that broken tip of the RCA to 1/4" adapter outta there. Was that a Monoprice jewel too. I've had one of their adapters come apart at that joint also.

I would connect the RCA to XLR cables back up to the amp after you get that tip out. Then at the RCA end short the tip to the outer contact. This will tell you if your cables are the culprit.

• Thanks 1