HUM in system ... Crown K1 amp??

Emile

12 hours ago, Emile said:

Will do when I take it apart ... tomorrow :) 

Yes man, call support and is that amp under some warranty?

If so, do not tell them you popped the top. A cork maybe...

Do proceed with caution in any case and use insulated tools, etc to extricate that tip, and tell the maker about their product failure.🦉

• Like 1

OK; took the bottom panel off (haha; after I started on the top).  Not a good pic ... cannot upload more than 60kB :(  Anyhow, on the pic, look towards the back and you can see 4 black "things."  The middle ones are the XLR connectors,  the outside ones are the 1/4 inch connectors, soldered onto the PCB :(  Hard to see, but there are NO openings where I can insert a pin to move the "broken tip." :(  Any suggestions??

Going to try the "glue on a stick" approach again.  Small amount of glue on a skewer ... insert, let it try ... and pray :) 

Thanks for everyone's help ... however, still do not think my broken tip is a problem :D 

IMG_2271.jpg

12 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yep dis gonna be a PITA. Have you contacted Crown Tech Support

Yes, big PITA.  Had tried it about half a year ago and did not succeed.  Think I have a better chance now ... there are 3 spring clips that make contact with the male 1/4" plug ... and of course since the tip is broken, these clips are "in the way" of pulling the broken tip out ... think I can pry the clips out of the way :D  ... waiting on glue to dry :) 

No; have not contacted tech support yet ... thought I would try the above first.

OK; ready to measure the RCA-XLR cables ... what do I check?

Thanks a lot babadono :D 

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Is that a pinhole at the end of the

phono jack recepticle...zoom in...

:( No; solid plastic ... do not know if there is metal behind it ... may try to drill into it if my "glue on a stick" method does not work :D 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emile said:

Measured XLT-RCA cable. XLR pin 1&3 to RCA ground = 0.02 ohms. XLR pin 2 to RCS signal = 0.02 ohms.  Good?? :D 

Yes ohms wise that sounds correct. But to insure it is properly done you must dis assemble the XLR end and make sure pins 1 and 3 are not jumpered together at that end. They should only be tied together at the RCA end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just thinking about your broken tip in jack problem as I do other things here. Then I come back to the forum and you have come up with the same idea. Can you just pry up the little metal contact finger on the jack and dislodge the broken tip?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

have you called support please...

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Measure the other one...

Called tech support ... "try some pliers" ... NO way I can get pliers in there.  And ... "yes, could possibly introduce some "hum", but very unlikely that it would be on both channels" ... don't know if you can drill into the end piece covering the receptor"

Both RCA-XLR cables measure identical ... actually 0.002 ... think ohms :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

make sure pins 1 and 3 are not jumpered together at that end. They should only be tied together at the RCA end.

Doesn't look "jumpered." Ground (?) to pin 1 AND jumpered to casing (?), white to pin 3, red to pin 3. :D 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, babadono said:

Can you just pry up the little metal contact finger on the jack and dislodge the broken tip?

That's the plan ... think I only have to lift the outer two contact fingers :D ... letting the glue (polyurethane) dry a little longer :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

How long has the tip been inside the recepticle?

Have you tried just the one side of the amp opposite the side of the amp where the tip resides?

Using one cable?

Tip has been inside over 6 months ... do not think it ever caused a problem till about a month ago :( 

No; never tried the "good" side by itself :(  Hum is consistent across both sides ... but will try if I don't get the tip out :) 

• Like 1