Bar 48 fail to power on after firmware update

CKLIM

After an exchange due to issue with the rear speakers, the new BAR 48 I just received is really disappointing in sound.  Surrounds and subwoofer are at the maximum level and I can barely hear them.  The one I had before I kept them at 50%, maybe one or two led light up, and it was high enough... and the subwoofer vibration was high enough to create an earthquake.  

With the last one, the highest firmware update was the one issued on November 2019 (v83).  With the new one, it gives me the one released on May 15th (v30).  Is it related to that?!  However, I am so disappointed.  After waiting more than one month to get a new one, I just want to return it again.

Could it really be v30 the problem?

Edited by Olivier Michaud

• 2 weeks later...

@Olivier Michaud

I see that no one has responded to your post. I'm sorry I haven't checked for recent posts in several weeks.

I have a BAR 48 that came with the original firmware. I updated to v83 then to v30 and noticed no difference in the sound levels. My source is my Samsung TV using an HDMI ARC connection. I don't often use a Bluetooth connection so I don't know if that has been impacted but the sound level with Bluetooth is dependent on the sound level from the source.

From the reports customers have posted in these forums, the BAR 48 appears to suffer from a variety of manufacturing defects, aside from various firmware issues. I would suggest you try to obtain another replacement.

By the way, I purchased my BAR 48 on Black Friday 2019 and have encountered most of the issues reported in these forums. Many of the issues still remain after installing the v30 firmware. In August Klipsch Customer Support agreed to provide a warranty replacement. I'm still waiting for it to arrive: the Surround 3 speakers have been out of stock for months. 😞

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ThrottledFilmsYT said:

So craziest thing happened, I loaded up the update onto a 32gb (on accident) drive and now my bar 48 is showing me a red light with all white LEDs ontop of it. With the input symbol red as well. Can turn off, factory reset or anything like that... What do I do?

Try this:

• Load the update onto a correctly formatted 8 GB thumb drive.
  • Remove power from your soundbar.
  • Insert the thumb drive onto the soundbar.
  • Reapply power to the soundbar.

The soundbar should see the firmware update and install it when it powers on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThrottledFilmsYT said:

So craziest thing happened, I loaded up the update onto a 32gb (on accident) drive and now my bar 48 is showing me a red light with all white LEDs ontop of it. With the input symbol red as well. Can turn off, factory reset or anything like that... What do I do?

the thumb drive must be 8GB or less , but not above 8GB     ,    in this instance the 32 GB thumb drive is simply not recognized

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ThrottledFilmsYT said:

yes

At this point ---- retry the Download ,   delete the partition on the Dongle , and re-download  it from the Web  --do not copy the previous download--

-make sure , the Thumb drive is empty -prior to the download

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

, at this point  ,only option is to  retry the Download ,   delete the partition on the Dongle , and re-download  it from the Web  ---dont copy the previous download

I concur.

You beat me to it! 😉

22 minutes ago, ThrottledFilmsYT said:

Delete the partition on the dongle? How do and what is that

the dongle is the thumb drive ,  delete the file that was downloaded on the thumb drive ---------basically wipe it completely ,  and re-install the file from the web  ----

28 minutes ago, ThrottledFilmsYT said:

Tried it a few more times abd nothing happens :( I really hope i didnt ruin it by accidentally using a 32gb thumbrdrive.. 

That's unlikely...

You should Submit a request with Klipsch Tech Support.

You may wait weeks for a response so, in the mean time, you can try to update the firmware (again) yourself.

I can try to help you but you have to be more specific with your responses. Saying you "tried it" and "nothing happened" is not very helpful.

• Exactly what did you try?
  • What was the exact sequence?
  • What lights were on?

4 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I would try a Factory reset

That certainly won't hurt and at this point there's not too many alternatives but my experience has been that it does little more than removing the Bluetooth pairings. 😞 

29 minutes ago, KevinB said:

That certainly won't hurt and at this point there's not too many alternatives but my experience has been that it does little more than removing the Bluetooth pairings. 😞 

Kevin -

I know  that , what is sure , is the firmware is corrupt

the way I would see it , would be to     a)  do a Factory reset , then  retry the Firmware download  again  with another thumb drive ,  if it  does not load up again  , I would think that the  main board is defective -

53 minutes ago, ThrottledFilmsYT said:

Didnt realize a update wouldve caused this otherwise I wouldnt have done it lol.

You really didn't have a choice. 

• The firmware update addresses a number of issues.
  • Tech support likely would have insisted you update the firmware before looking further into your case.

Are you able to return it to the retailer from whom you purchased it?