Bar 48 fail to power on after firmware update

CKLIM

Hi, my Klipsch Bar 48 fail to power on after the new firmware update. Totally no power even after changing power cable and wall socket.
I am trying to update it with the new firmware following to the instruction provided, there were no response when I plug in the USB, hold the power button while connection the power cable. Afterwhich, the sounder fails to power up. Does anyone having the same issue?

Yes, I had the same issue (search past threads). The only way I could restore function to the BAR 48 was to load the previous revision of firmware's batch file (one that works) onto the USB drive and reload. It reloaded w/o any issues and got me back to where I was before the "latest" firmware locked it up. Important: Please double check you uploaded the correct firmware version for your specific serial number. *This is a known issue.

Edited by FMnoise

@CKLIM After reading your post I checked for a newer version of the firmware. The latest one was Released: 12/13/2019.

What version did you download the first time? Is it possible you entered an incorrect serial number and download firmware that wasn't valid for your device?

In fact, Klipsch does appear to finally have read their email and realized that they uploaded one or more defective firmware files. The one that I had trouble with was only 1/3 the file size it was suppose to be and locked up my system (IOW: they forgot to add all of the data to it) and has since been removed by them. They uploaded a new firmware file dated Nov 29th to replace it which has the correct file size to imply it is complete (though that does not mean it will work). If you did input the correct serial number and had a failure with the 12/13 dated defective firmware file, it is worth deleting that file and downloading and installing the new replacement file, backdated to November. Note: this only applies to you if you had one of the defective firmware files. Some of the units use an updated firmware file which is also dated Dec 13th which is NOT effected by this. These files are serial number dependent. If in doubt, re-check the support site's firmware download page to see which file they are currently showing for YOUR system. It may or may not have changed. Maybe that will fix some of the issues many of us are having ???

In the meantime, I received my replacement BAR 48 with the 2.4GHz wireless connection and will certainly have to install the appropriate newly updated firmware on it when I get home to see if that one works and solves the un-plug/re-plug issue with the wireless sub woofer pairing lost.

I just downloaded V23 again and binary compared it to the original v23 that I installed. They are identical. Size is 1.64MB.
12/20/2019, 1201PM PST.

Notes

Version: v23 (S/N: 106655719280001 - 106655719470250)
Released: 12/13/2019
Region: Global

Bar 48 2.4GHz v23 - Change Log:

• Increased Surround Output when Rear Surrounds are present.
  • When volume is set to minimum, sub volume now mutes.
  • Content continues playing after Bluetooth connection is made from device to soundbar.
  • BT switches input when coming from other audio input after BT connection is made from device to soundbar.
  • Sub Volume Increase/Decrease LED indication improved on bar
  • Can power off soundbar when HDMI content playing with button on soundbar or remote.
  • Installer Mode Added
  • External Player Mode Added
  • Various Bug Fixes
Edited by DaleG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 2:33 PM, Kailey said:

I followed the video step by step with the new updated firmware and i seem to be having the same problem as OP, can anyone tell me exactly how they fixed their problem??

@Kailey

If your soundbar died because of a failed firmware update it usually can be fixed by trying the update again:

https://www.klipsch.ca/firmware

These are the instructions for the BAR 48.

INSTALLATION

1. Download the latest firmware update file from klipsch.com/firmware and save it to the computer’s desktop
  2. Unzip the file folder and move the “app.bin” file to an empty USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32 and is 8GB or less in size
  3. Power on the sound bar with a short press of the power button on the sound bar
  4. Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port on the back of the sound bar
  5. Hold down the power button on the top of the sound bar until the source LED on the top and front of the sound bar shuts off
  6. Wait about 3 seconds until the DTS LED lights up
  7. The DTS > DOLBY > ((SUR)) > DIALOG > NIGHT LED’s will light up as the firmware update progresses
  8. Once all of the mode LED’s are lit, wait about 3 seconds and the sound bar will restart
  9. Once the sound bar restarts, the source LED on the top and front of the sound bar will be orange You should also see 3 white volume LED’s on the front of the sound bar to indicate the update is complete
  10. Unplug the USB flash drive from the back of the sound bar
  11. The firmware update has been completed successfully
  12. The subwoofer will reconnect after the sound bar restarts.

If you still can't install the firmware, your device may be defective. Either return it or open a Support Request with Klipsch tech support.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to share my experience. My Bar 48 got locked as well. I managed to release the power button after 3 of 5 lights turning on (slipped the button).

Tried several times to unplug power cord and reconnect the USB and holding the power button again. I could hear something happening but it would not restart.

I formatted the USB drive and downloaded the same files again and unzipped to USB drive. After that the software update worked. 

6 hours ago, Frode D said:

Just wanted to share my experience. My Bar 48 got locked as well. I managed to release the power button after 3 of 5 lights turning on (slipped the button).

Tried several times to unplug power cord and reconnect the USB and holding the power button again. I could hear something happening but it would not restart.

I formatted the USB drive and downloaded the same files again and unzipped to USB drive. After that the software update worked. 

@Frode D

Thank you for posting this.

I had no issues at all installing the first (v23) firmware update but my experience installing the latest (V30) update was was very similar to yours. This is the feedback I provided to Klipsch:

I installed the new firmware. Unfortunately the install never proceeded past the point where the ((SUR)) light comes on and the soundbar became comatose. This didn't happen with the previous firmware update but I knew I should be able to recover from this situation by attempting the firmware update once again.

Since I couldn't power on or power off the soundbar, the firmware install instructions were not very helpful. After multiple attempts, I was able to restart the firmware install after removing then reapplying power to the soundbar. Every indication was that the install was successful.

For others reading this thread, these are the issues the V30 firmware update purports to resolve.

NOTES

Version: v30 (S/N: 106655719280001 - 106655799999999)
Released: 05/15/2020
Region: Global

Bar 48 2.4GHz v30 - Change Log:

• Enhanced volume output from surrounds
  • Removed noise from surrounds in certain use cases.
  • Addressed issue with Bluetooth playback
  • Corrected issue where previous Bluetooth device wouldn't auto connect
  • Misc noise issues on various input switches.

I am very disappointed with these firmware updates.

• There have been issues getting the firmware installed. Some issues have been user related but others definitely have not.
  • The one-line description of the issues the firmware claims to address are so vague that they are meaningless.
  • After two firmware updates that attempt to increase the sound levels from the Surround 3 speakers the levels are still pathetic.
  • I have reported issues six months ago that these firmware updates haven't begun to address!

Let's keep posting our experiences. This appears to be the only way to keep abreast of issues BAR 48 owners are encountering. Not everyone will take the time to open a service request and Klipsch is unwilling to acknowledge let alone discuss issues that have been reported.

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue for me.  This is what I sent to Klipsch:

Greetings Klipsch Support,

I purchased two Bar 48 devices and a Reference R-10SWi earlier this year.  When I received the Bar 48 devices, I updated the firmware to V23 successfully.  Since having the devices, the Bar 48 subwoofer would intermittently not respond to the main sound bar (blue light solid, no sound comes out).  Today I downloaded the latest V30 firmware and followed the procedure documented here:  "https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043401632"  When updating the first device I own, the update proceeded normally until the ((SUR)) light came on.  After that nothing changed.  I left the device as it was for ~60min and still nothing changed (i.e. did not proceed to > DIALOG > NIGHT LED’s lighting up).  I unplugged the device, removed the USB stick, and plugged it back in.  The sound bar did not power back on upon reapplying power (lights on top and front do not illuminate).  There is power getting to the sound bar, because if I plug the USB flash drive in the back, the USB drive activity light flashes.  I also attempted a factory reset several times and that did not do anything to change the behavior of the sound bar (i.e. lights on top and front still do not illuminate).  I followed the procedure here:  https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044128312-Bar-48-Factory-Reset.  These are the first Klipsch products I have owned and the product reliability has been a pretty disappointing experience.  Anything you can do to help would be most appreciated.

Best Regards,

Pretty bummed by my experience with this product.

@New-2-Klipsch

These are community forums and not monitored by Klipsch. Like you, I'm a BAR 48 owner. I've had mine for about seven months and I'm happy to share what I have learned.

The first thing you need to do is get your firmware updated.

Follow these Bar 48 - Firmware V30/V83a Update Instructions and make sure your thumb drive is formatted to FAT32 and is 8GB or less in size.

You may find the YouTube video I posted earlier helpful.

I would recommend you register your device and open a service request if the firmware update doesn't resolve your issues.

• 3 months later...

I've done absolutely everything correct in an attempt to update my firmware but cannot seem to get this to complete. When DTs, night, etc LEDs are supposed to light they source light just comes on...thats it. The only thing I haven't done correct is to use a maximum 8g USB thumb drive. Seems they dont make them anymore...ive tried with 16. Is it possible this could be the issue? No idea why it would be...