Robocalls reduced ?

jason str

I had a strange experience a few months back with a particular robo call. 

I received the call from a local number, area code (210), it was the same ole BS about my Marriott Rewards registration. The automated message states I won a free stay etc. etc. etc.. I grew tired of "PUSH 2" to be removed from the call list..... which never worked, so I accepted the call and asked to be removed. The voice on the other end was Indian accent, some dude who probably has the last name Patel. He was rude and told me I should have listened to the entire message and hung up..... This of course pissed me off, so I called back and got the busy signal... waited a few seconds and called again.... To my surprise a woman answered, and I asked her to please remove me from their call list, she didn't understand and asked "who is this", at which point a looked at the number I dialed and it was the same. I asked he she worked for the Marriott Motel chain and she said no, why?.... I told her what had happened, and she said I as not the first to call her about this....

How does this happen?  How do these scammers hack a phone number to make robo calls?

• Like 1

A FEW? I get them almost everyday on work cell, personal cell and work landline which transfer to my cell. This week at least 4 co-workers got them on their desk phones in the space of 30 minutes; ours phones are all same area code and prefix.

one day i got an email from myself. I didn’t open it so i don’t know what i was trying to say. 

i get calls every so often an never answer them. i just block the number, but all that results in is a list of hundreds of blocked calls. every couple of weeks, they start up again. 

I NEVER answer the house phone, which is where the majority of the calls go.  Got the same thing Gilbert did about a year ago so I was gonna be smart and did a reverse white pages search o/l.  Yup, there was the number so I called it back.  Told the lady that answered she just called me and she denied calling me and said I was one of many hitting the business she worked at.  hahaha... Didn't win a thing!  If you're not on my cell list then you can forget about my answering.  Or I tell ppl to leave a msg and I'll call them right back since the cell is attached by an umbilical cord. :)

43 minutes ago, USNRET said:

When we had a land line I once got a call on it with caller ID of my own number. Phone co told me yep they spoof numbers.

Same happened here, dad came out of his room and asked what was going on and i explained to him its another scam call. He is getting up there in age and gets confused rather easily, i feel sorry for those who do not have family or friends to watch out for them.

This is actually sad.

My mom is 89

She recently bought a new vehicle (that's another story)

Started getting calls about needing to buy an extended warranty...over and over and over

I explained the tactic and told her not to answer her phone unless it showed the NAME from her contacts list.
This continued with her answering to the point where she drove to the dealership demanding that they quit calling. Mom still didn't get that it wasn't the dealer.
Fast forward a couple of months and she tells me that in order to make them quit calling she went to the dealership and bought a $2000.00 extended warranty.
I had my sister go by dealership and after the conversation the dealer refunded Mom's money. That was commendable of the dealer!

I have sent a "personal" IM via facebook to their page (multiple locations) requesting a method to contact the owner to express my gratitude and ensure that the local folks at the dealership that accommodated her are recognized.

• Like 4

The phone company offers a screening measure that eliminates 90% [my guess].  I rarely answer the phone. Leave a message, not voice mail. Do not text, it's a land line. I'm one of those people that does not own a mobile device/cell phone. Must not be many of us left. The state uses electronic ID for some functions, assuming everyone has an eye-phone.

If you have a land line phone and someone sends a text the phone will ring one time then disconnect. My friends get ticked off when my answering phone comes on and says leave a message and they holler and scream to pick up the phone. Such is life.

JJK

We had calls on our home phone from it's own number several times last year. That's one of the headaches gone with "cutting the cable". The December update on our Pixels blocks robos all by itself now. And blocks possible spam and spoofs with the automatic call screening. Nice, but it was never bad on our pocket phones.

16 hours ago, USNRET said:

This is actually sad.

My mom is 89

She recently bought a new vehicle (that's another story)

Started getting calls about needing to buy an extended warranty...over and over and over

I explained the tactic and told her not to answer her phone unless it showed the NAME from her contacts list.
This continued with her answering to the point where she drove to the dealership demanding that they quit calling. Mom still didn't get that it wasn't the dealer.
Fast forward a couple of months and she tells me that in order to make them quit calling she went to the dealership and bought a $2000.00 extended warranty.
I had my sister go by dealership and after the conversation the dealer refunded Mom's money. That was commendable of the dealer!

I have sent a "personal" IM via facebook to their page (multiple locations) requesting a method to contact the owner to express my gratitude and ensure that the local folks at the dealership that accommodated her are recognized.

89 and bought a new car......   Oh mama!!!!

My mom (RIP) stopped at 86, one too many scares on the road.  Dad who'll be 91 in 2020, stopped at 90. He had been driving himself to the ranch 3 or 4 times a week. It's about 40 mi. on Interstate and then 10mi. down rough caliche road.  In his last year of driving, whenever I would be in the vehicle (he would insist on driving,... has very strong will), I was always at the ready. Man!! he would scare the crap out of me sometimes with the weaving. But after getting turned around and lost at the ranch a couple of times I suggested he ease off on the driving. A couple weeks later one of the servants who accompanied him finished off what I started, and he hung up the keys.

Take care of your mom, hope she's in good health... but FYI, both my parents had to scare themselves before realizing it was time to stop driving. Dad, being the way he is, took a little more convincing. 

Cheers!!

23 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I think I'm going to start playing them, and dragging out the conversation next time. I'll talke with a mexican accent and really fk with them.

Keep the IRS one on the line as long as possible assuring them you are driving to the ATM machine to get them their money.