KPT-200 and KPT-100 specs and crossover question

Dave A

@Dave A   Dave, I have a pic at home that shows what needs to be done for that. I believe it is a single jump you can solder on the crossover board. I'm pretty sure that Bob Crites can tell you as well, as I think he posted it originally.

Bruce

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

@Dave A   Dave, I have a pic at home that shows what needs to be done for that. I believe it is a single jump you can solder on the crossover board. I'm pretty sure that Bob Crites can tell you as well, as I think he posted it originally.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce I did get a picture of what to do on the 200. Now I need to get the same info for the KPT-100

• Dave A changed the title to KPT-200 and KPT-100 specs and crossover question
20 hours ago, Marvel said:

Bruce

Probably the picture I took of mine.  I can't seem to find it now.

" Summary

So here we are. No matter which way we look at it, the X-curve does not pass the test of scrutiny. It would be wonderful if sound reproduced in a room followed such a simplified behavior. But it just doesn’t. There is much work to tweak the measured time interval and such, hoping to get that to correlate with real situations. But all of this I am afraid is misguided. The right knowledge of psychoacoustics and sound reproduction in the room needs to be used to determine the guidelines. Not something we cook up on the back of the envelop.

Let’s hope that the standardization leads us to proper scientific solution. Until then, it is my sincere hope that people calibrating sound in theaters, do so using their ears and not compliance with X-curve. "

I do not have capacitors on hand for a crossover refresh so what this will do is YTBD. I did however listen to a set of KPT-100's for a few hours and my conclusion was it was muffled sounding. I have heard the same thing with bad caps before also. However I decided to try the Crites mod since it is really easy to undo and it did make a difference and stopped most of the muffling sound. I should have caps in for a refresh soon and will also do that and see. My preference at this time is, for speakers I think are worthwhile to tinker with, to learn how to use REW or True RTA and set things up for my particular environment and most certainly not use one adapted for some movie theater standard.

I find it interesting that the best Klipsch cinema gear have all gone to DSP's which indicates to me the x-curve is not something to strive for. I know other things are being done there also but there does not seem to be any mention of x-curves relative to DSP settings.

Thanks for the link  it was interesting.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 9:07 AM, CECAA850 said:

Dave, the picture is gone in that thread for some reason but I jumpered mine on the bottom of the PCB.  It was much easier that way for me.

I did the same thing. It did make a difference to me and what was your opinion of the mod?