How often should we be shopping for Homeowners and Vehicle insurance?

JL Sargent

I've been with the same ins co for the last 20 years. That company wants to add $1000 annually for adding my 16 year old son as a driver. That got me to shopping around. Looks like I can save enough by changing ins cos to now cover my son for zero increase in premiums over last year all else being the same. I'm effectively saving $1000! What do you do?

• Like 1

Just now, JL Sargent said:

I've been with the same ins co for the last 20 years. That company wants to add $1000 annually for adding my 16 year old son as a driver. That got me to shopping around. Looks like I can save enough by changing ins cos to now cover my son for zero increase in premiums over last year all else being the same. I'm effectively saving $1000! What do you do?

Give the quote to your current agent and have him see if he can find anything comparable.  I just went through the same exercise a couple of months ago and saved a ton of money.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Give the quote to your current agent and have him see if he can find anything comparable.

Hey Carl, I hope you and yours are doing well? My current agent is also the person that found this new deal. You see I use an independent ins co and they have 1/2 a doz underwriting insurance companys. I asked her to shop my needs with these other underwriters and this is where I am now.

Just went through this myself.  I had Farmers for years, no issues, claim wise or rate rise.  My daughter turned 16 and I wanted her to get her own policy for the vehicle she is to own.  Come to find out, it would run close to $300 a month for just liability on an 01 Jeep Cherokee.  When I was 16, I only paid $115 a month for liability on a 83' Pontiac Grand Prix.  My agent recommend having her on as a house hold driver of some sort.  She would be covered under our policy, which has 3 vehicles (keeping the Cherokee as one), 2 with full coverage for about $185 a month extra.  So this had us shopping.  A lot of folks I know said that they get the best rate was through Farm Bureau.  However, we found an additional savings of $1000 a year with more coverage n the cars and house by switching to USAA.  Even presented the quote to my recent agent at Farmers, he told us that it was a pretty good deal and unfortunately couldn't match it.   I can't believe how much auto for teens has gone up.  Both agents gave us this blah blah blah story about uninsured motorist and that most members of the family don't pay attention to what car they grab, why its best they put them on the house hold policy.  

3 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

I guess there is no reward for being a LOYAL customer. To get the best treatment from ins cos, you need to be a NEW customer. With no claims on anything for the last 40 years, you would think I could get the lowest rates?

Nope.  Just like the phone company or anything else.  The new customers get the "introductory" rates so they can set the hook.

Hope you guys are doing well also.  I was hoping I'd hear from you around Thanksgiving.

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I was hoping I'd hear from you around Thanksgiving.

I thought about you guys, but didn't even leave the house while in Lake Charles. I did not even go to town. I'm especially responsible for my dad on these trips and its my wife's only time each year to visit with her family as a whole. That has me tied down to hanging out with dad and not much else, which is ok. I just don't get to disappear for the day anymore.  Anyway, best wishes to you guys.

Don't ever get suckered into the idea that these companies give a whit about you or your loyalty to them.  Shop every three years. Period.

None of these companies, agents or not, do anything outside of what their software tells them. Your driving record only interests them when  you are shopping. If you are with them for 20 years claim free, they could give a crap when it comes to renewing. It won't save you a dime,no matter how they pitch it to you.  You will also notice it's almost impossible to get a full year policy. Most are six months so they can drop you faster. Just remember insurance companies are really just financial intuitions. Their primary source of profit is investing your premiums.  The whole claim, accidents etc. is just overhead, not their primary business.

Did a stint in insurance.  Also worked for a member of Congress who was on the Banking Committee so I have some perspective on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thebes said:

Don't ever get suckered into the idea that these companies give a whit about you or your loyalty to them.  Shop every three years. Period.

Soooooooo True

In all aspects of consumerism

I hate that we feel the need / or have to pay "law" for something that is a calculation

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-insurance-mathematics.htm

We moved to Tennessee in 2009 and bought a home with the same replacement cost of our home in NC and the cost of insurance was 30% higher and car insurance was 50% higher due to living in a tourist area.I finally found a company that the rates was only 20% higher on home and 25% higher on car.Then we had the major fires in East Tennessee,we had no claims and our rates tripled.We had to up our deductible to 2500.00 and the rates only doubled.Don’t get me started on health insurance.

• Sad 1

Been in NC practically forever, Allstate.

They took care of us with the giant twister that didn't touch down but unleashed cue ball and larger sized hail that night when duke won in 2010.

They did try a couple of times twenty years ago to get us to change to a "new" policy for less annually. Got a $100.00 deductible but the car's went up to $500.00 due to state regulations.

Will stick with them for as long as possible sine we're covered for 22 times more than the purchase price now.

22 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

I guess there is no reward for being a LOYAL customer.

very true. same goes for things like cell phone plans, cable tv, and even rent.  I was renting an apartment once and they were advertising how they lowered their rent ... well, they didn't lower it for the people that were already living there, it was only for NEW tenants. 

} We have a couple options for trash service so I investigated and found I could save a few bucks, get a larger container, etc. So when informing the company I had used for decades, they were the only game for years, that I was dropping their service they of course asked why. They asked what I would be paying then said - “ we can match price and have several options”. I said it was already done and asked why I wasn’t given these lower priced options in the past. I assume they had a grin on their face when they replied - we thought you were happy with your current rate — 

— And yes, after 25%+ years with an insurance carrier I switched a couple years ago. Saved some but after the back and forth over a new roof and huge increase for a particular car, I got my satisfaction—