How often should we be shopping for Homeowners and Vehicle insurance?

JL Sargent

Moved from GA to TX and switched to USAA without shopping.

Next year I shopped and saved a lot going to State Farm and then the rates kept going up every year. One claim for stolen tires.
Son turned 16 and bought a car so now we have 3.
Rates now quoted at $2700 / 6 months which was double what were were paying
Folks at work bragged on an independent agent in Katy, TX; I called.
Homeowner's premium stayed the same but deductible was lowered by 3 percentage points
3 vehicles now at $1250 / 6 month
Renewed a couple of months ago and the premium went down 100 bucks every 6 months.
The agent found best deal at Progressive but when I tested them personally on line the quote was quite a bit higher.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

One claim for stolen tires.

I got 1 for you.

One claim for a windshield chip repair.  It is stated very clearly in the regulations governing auto insurance in Texas that a carrier must cover at least 2 chip repairs per year (IIRC) and is not permitted to increase your premium for windshield chip repair.  Sounds like a good reason to go ahead a fix that little chip, doesn't it?

Not so fast...  Upon switching to a new company (which would save me in the hundreds, as switches most often do), I find out that I am not entitled to a "claim-free discount."  Up goes my rate by $150 or so.  

I complained to TDI, but to no avail.  They weren't inclined to see the logic of how easy it is for a carrier to evade regulations by "denying discounts" as opposed to "raising premiums."

Oh, well... Live and learn.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I got 1 for you.

One claim for a windshield chip repair.  It is stated very clearly in the regulations governing auto insurance in Texas that a carrier must cover at least 2 chip repairs per year (IIRC) and is not permitted to increase your premium for windshield chip repair.  Sounds like a good reason to go ahead a fix that little chip, doesn't it?

Not so fast...  Upon switching to a new company (which would save me in the hundreds, as switches most often do), I find out that I am not entitled to a "claim-free discount."  Up goes my rate by $150 or so.  

I complained to TDI, but to no avail.  They weren't inclined to see the logic of how easy it is for a carrier to evade regulations by "denying discounts" as opposed to "raising premiums."

Oh, well... Live and learn.

So it becomes obvious whom they really work for.