BAR 48 Surround Button

KevinB

Surround 3 manual: Page 4

image.thumb.png.c206ca26494ac071c6cabdb872784e8d.png

This is a page from the Surround 3 manual. When I first saw it I just skipped over it. Later, I went back to try and understand what it was trying to explain. I hate to admit it but I'm still baffled!

The diagram shows two additional speakers which, I assume, are the Surround 3 speakers. I must therefore assume the diagram is trying to explain what happens if the ((SUR)) button is pressed when the BAR 48 has the Surround 3 speakers connected and is capable of producing 5.1 surround sound.

Each time I press the ((SUR)) button on my remote the ((SUR)) light on the BAR 48 toggles on then off. That much is obvious. When the ((SUR)) light is on I can hear sound from the surround speakers. When it's off, I don't. At least that is what I think is happening.

The left side of the page appears to describe the effect the ((SUR)) button button has when listening to music. Furthermore, I assume this is a mono/stereo source and that neither the DTS or Dolby Digital lights on the soundbar are illuminated. I think it is suggesting that pressing the ((SUR)) button will produce sound from the surround speakers. 😉

What is VIRTUAL SURROUND?

Besides being an oxymoron, what is 5.1 STEREO?

What is a 3.1 UPMIX? 

The right side of the diagram suggests the source is a movie. Since it shows 5.1 DISCRETE, I assume either the DTS or Dolby Digital lights are illuminated and the source may contain 5.1 content. If the ((SUR)) light on my BAR 48 is illuminated, I can hear sound from the Surround 3 speakers. If it is not illuminated, I don't. The diagram suggests that pressing the ((SUR)) button will switch from 5.1 DISCRETE to VIRTUAL SURROUND. So, when I have sound from my Surround 3 speakers, am I listening to 5.1 DISCRETE or VIRTUAL SURROUND?

image.png

Edited by KevinB
The page image was uploaded twice. I can't delete the second copy.

I never understood what this meant either, however, if you hold the SUR button on the remote it brings up another mode where the DIGITAL and HDMI lights flash with the white light in the front in the 'middle' and if you press the SUR button it will toggle between DIGITAL and HDMI. Really weird and do not know exactly what it does. Cannot find anything about it anywhere, maybe I am not searching well enough

45 minutes ago, Abel said:

I never understood what this meant either, however, if you hold the SUR button on the remote it brings up another mode where the DIGITAL and HDMI lights flash with the white light in the front in the 'middle' and if you press the SUR button it will toggle between DIGITAL and HDMI. Really weird and do not know exactly what it does. Cannot find anything about it anywhere, maybe I am not searching well enough

@Abel Page 7 and 8 of the Surround 3 manual explains this. It is how you adjust the volume of the surround speakers.

image.thumb.png.1e2e0293d7702ae562ede43b0b4bb8e3.png

image.thumb.png.dafeaca246d3651db9f7d8adb5fffdcb.png

Edited by KevinB

2 hours ago, Abel said:

I seriously looked in my manual prior to posting this and saw nothing on it lol *face palm* thanks for sharing  

@Abel This information was missing from my BAR 48 manual but it is included in the one you can download from the website. The pages I posted are from the Surround 3 manual.

I don't know what the documentation is like for other Klipsch products but the BAR 48 documentation is dismal! Klipsch really needs to do something about that. In the mean time all we can do is share information and try to help out each other.