Best Center for RP6000’s?

DillonQ

I did the deal at Crutchfield which was buy 2 RP6000’s and get the SPL 100 for free. I have the Sony STR DN1080 for a receiver and I will say that I am very satisfied with my set up. Going from the Samsung MS650 sound bar and sub to this was a massive upgrade. Music and movies have never been better. I dinked around with them a lot and got the phantom center to work for now but I really want to get an actual center channel for them. I saw that the only center channel that matches the driver size of the 6000’s is the 600c, as to be expected, however I was curious if the 504c would be better. I know that matching driver sizes is a good idea because as sound pans across from right to center to left it will sound uniform but I’m wondering if the 504c with quad 5.25 drivers would have an audible difference. Another factor to consider is that right now I have a 3 seat couch and audio performance is phenomenal for all seats at the moment but I am planning on getting a sectional and I was wondering what benefits/drawbacks each center would have. If you have any questions give me a holler and I would greatly appreciate your two cents! :D Thanks everyone! 

P.S. Please forgive me for the placement of my receiver. It doesn’t fit in the entertainment center. Purchasing a tv riser next week so that it won’t remain an issue. 

5ED8F5DC-BCD0-48F7-947F-3A46C2AD6B28.jpeg

I was hoping for better feedback than that. That doesn’t really help much at all. There are pros and cons to both options and I was hoping to hear from others that have/had one or the other what they thought. Thanks anyways though. Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d rather run no center than use an inferior one. 

The center is the most important speaker when it comes to home theater and isn’t where you should be tying to cut corners. I am a huge advocate of Klipsch 6” speakers, I think they are some of the best $/performance ratio options.  

The answer above might not seem all that helpful but that doesn’t change the fact that it was the right answer. 

This coming from a guy that has owned just about every non Heritage Klipsch center ever made. 

Do right the first time, my friend. Cheers! 

• Like 1

@DillonQGet the best center speaker you can afford.  Ninety percent of movies is dialog and 90% of the dialog comes out of the center.

I also think "timbre matching" is way overrated.  There is literally no time in any movie ever where the dialog pans from L to C to R and back again.  In movies The L/R have their own discrete track and it is usually music maybe with a little vocal blend, and the center speaker has a completely different and discrete track.

The secret is to get a HIGH QUALITY center speaker.  Quality goes with everything.  In the Klipsch world for new stock, that would be the flagship center RC-64 III.  Then the mid-tier RP-504c, then the RP-600C.  If you can find an older RC-64 or RC-64 II those are still better than the mid-tier RP-x series.

Disclaimer:  I've run RP-600M with an RC-64 III.  The sound is phenomenal, there are NO "timbre matching" problems. The RC-64 III is crystal clear and plays nearly full range.  The AVR's Audyssey makes the different speakers play nice together. 

I have not heard the 600c nor the 504c.  My opinion on them is from listening to those who have had both.  You can search the Klipsch Forums to find threads on both speakers.

I would also tell you there are a lot of really smart people on this forum, including the ones above ^^^ whose opinion I highly respect even when their opinion might not always perfectly align with mine.  You should listen to all points of view, then select the one you think best for listening with YOUR speakers, YOUR equipment, in YOUR house with YOUR ears.

RP-600M on VTI 18" stands (a bit low by 6").  For perspective the TV is 65".  RC-64 III in the middle.

IMG_1419_400.thumb.jpg.727d191586ab8b339cbc1bb4cde491c6.jpg

• Like 2

I have the RP-600c along with the RP-6000f and they sound amazing together. My biggest problem was the size difference in the centers. The 600c is big but near as big as the other ones. I would buy the one you can afford and fits where you want it. You won’t be disappointed with your decision. 

• Like 2

I have the RP-260Fs with a RP 440C center and the center is outstanding. It sounds bettter than my previous B&W 600 series center. It's also an excellent tonal match. I highly recommend it. These speakers are the previous generation of yours. I also have a RC 64III which of course does sound a bit better. The only reason I bought it is because my 65 inch LG TV has a big semi circle base and it didn't fit on the 440C. Otherwise I was perfectly happy with it.

The RC 64III has better dynamics , snap and those life like dynamics. But the 440C is no slouch and is an excellent choice. Both reproduce vocals very well.

• Like 3

Thank you to all of you. I agree with not cutting corners. That is definitely not the plan. That’s why I’m asking for help because I am a bit worried about picking the lesser center channel. I hear from a lot of people that the 504c is the better option since it’s supposed to have stronger bass response as well as a wider sweet spot, however, I’m curious as to if the smaller driver sizes will be apparent when listening to movies compared to the 600c. So far on here it looks like no matter what option I take I should be happy so that makes me feel much better about it all. Thanks again and if anyone else wants to drop any more opinions I will greatly appreciate that as well. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...